“Charming and Historic B&B”
Review of Cleftstone Manor

Cleftstone Manor
Ranked #21 of 30 Bar Harbor B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 21, 2013

We stayed at this great B&B in Bar Harbor and were pleasantly surprised that the establishment met all of our expectations! The room was fabulous and had a very old world feel about it and the location was fantastic! the breakfast the next day was superb - can't say enough good things about this place!

Room Tip: I would recommend spending the extra money for an upgrade room - they are worth it!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BeachBecca

Reviewed June 2, 2013

We visited Bar Harbor for 2 nights during our 2-week NE/Canada motorcycle tour. I choose Cleftstone Manor due to its proximity to town, availability of indoor pool at its neighbor hotel, and being included in BedandBreakfast.com’s Gift Certificate program. During a 2-week trip it is particularly nice to enjoy the “comforts of home” in a local B&B and Cleftstone did not disappoint. We booked the … room which was decorated in a Victorian-style theme with rose wall paper, red & white bed linens, and a small collection of antique teapots. But what drew us to this room was the attached sun porch. The sun porch was the perfect respite after 2 weeks of motorcycle riding to relax with a cup of tea or a glass of wine while finishing my ragged paperback book that had traveled about 2300 miles in the saddlebag of our Yamaha FJR thus far. Cleftsone is a mansion, perched on a small cliff, and replicating the slower life of years ago. It is a great place to unwind and meet other guests over evening snacks served in the drawing room or the main sun porch and gourmet breakfasts in the country kitchen. They even go so far as making you feel at home by providing a small fridge in the reception area where guests can store left-overs from dinner or half-drunk bottles of wine that they intend to finish off the next day. I would definitely suggest Cleftstone for guests who like the more intimate, B&B feel, which is a perfect choice when visiting the quaintness of Bar Harbor.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MBJBride0520
Reviewed May 31, 2013

We original had booked a one night stay in the Gist Blair room, but the staff was nice enough to upgrade us to the Joseph Pulitzer room. The room was very big with a nice sitting area, and I fell in love with the tall bed. I did not use the large jacuzzi tub, but it looked very clean and they do include an herbal soak should you want to take a nice long bath.

We got there in time for their cocktail hour, in which they have some non-alcoholic beverage options and finger foods available. The food was just small wraps cut to bite-size pieces and boiled brussel sprouts, so my husband and I opted to save room for a large lobster dinner instead. The breakfast was great, and the staff was very attentive in making sure the food was good and we were having a good time.

The room layout was slightly awkward because the entryway into the house was through the bathroom and literally leads directly into the dining room. They have a screen up so guests can't look into the bathroom, but it was still a little weird to step out of the bathroom into the dining room with others watching, or having the feeling that guests eating breakfast can hear me get ready for the day. But the manor was not built to be a B&B, so they can't really help with the layout.

Overall it was a great first B&B experience for my husband and I, and we would definitely return.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Emily V
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We spent two nights over the Memorial Day Weekend. Anne was welcoming, friendly, and gave us great information on local restaurants and places to see. The Inn is warm and cozy with lovely common space for visitors to connect with each other. Breakfast was delicious and the staff was very attentive. We will be back!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank valeriej55
Reviewed November 6, 2012

My wife and I spent three nights in mid October at the Cleftstone. It was our first trip to Bar Harbor and our experiences will bring us back for a longer stay and I've already decided Cleftstone will be the place. Anne was a gracious hostess providing a great breakfast, local information in an inobtrusive way. If you are needy and think the owner of a B&B is there to be your companion/best friend/servant you probably need to look elsewhere but I wouldn't ask here to do things any differently than she did. Our room faced the street and I didn't hear road noise any night we were there. Once in our rooms we heard no noise either from within or outside the inn. With a fireplace in the room evenings were spent quietly reading in the wingback chair in front of a cozy fire. It was in the 20s outside at night while we were there. While we had a great time in Bar Harbor our next trip will be in early to mid September. Too many things closed for the season to enjoy the full MDI experience while there. The lone negative was that the wifi was spotty and intermittent at best but we were there to relax so we lived within the limitations of technology as it were.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SIBoiler2
Reviewed October 22, 2012

This by far was the BEST stay on our 3 stop vacation hands down. Ann the owner is wonderful. She greeted us when we checked in and gave us a brief tour of the B & B. Our room "Cleftstone" OMG was was just speechless when we walked in. It was the nicest room we have ever stayed in and we travel quite a bit between business and pleasure. I think could have stayed in our room for the whole 2 nights we were there but being the beautiful Bar Harbor with lovely Fall weather we did venture out.

The stay not only included a wonderful breakfast each morning (best I've had at any B & B) in the late afternoon there was also spread of appitizers for the guests. We met a lot of nice people at this gathering.

The town is great and the Acadia National Park is just breath taking. I had a broken foot on this trip so that did put a damper on things. We could not hike or ride bikes. We will for sure be back to Bar Harbor and will for sure stay at Cleftstone Manor.

Thank you Ann for making our stay so nice!!!! There is so much more I could write about this B & B.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Donna W
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We recently stayed at Cleftstone Manor in Bar Harbor, ME. It is a historic Bed and Breakfast just minutes from the heart of Bar Harbor. We stayed in the Waldron Bates Suite and it was really nice. There was information in the room about who Waldron Bates was and how he related to the inn and to Bar Harbor. Very Interesting. Anne's breakfasts were exceptional! We looked forward to them every morning. The afternoon social hour was great! Light snacks were served and it gave a chance to mingle with the other guests staying there. I loved the big claw foot tub in the bathroom and the wonderful complementary bath salts made for a relaxing moment after a long hike in Acadia National Park. I would recommend this B & B highly. You won't be disappointed!

Room Tip: I would recommed any of the rooms on the third floor that face the ocean. We had a wonderful of the...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple