WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Cleftstone Manor

Cleftstone Manor
Ranked #23 of 31 Bar Harbor B&B and Inns
Montreal, Canada
“Great Experience - contrary to some reviews I have read”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

I stayed at Cleftstone Manor in September. Contrary to some of the reviews I have read, I found Anne, the innkeeper to be very knowledgeable, pleasant, helpful and very efficient. She was a wealth of very helpful knowledge. If I was in Bar Harbor again, I would definitely stay there again. Breakfasts were always different and great. Keep up the great work.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank 149Lloyd149

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

We stayed at the Cleftstone Manor for 2 nights.
The B&B is located next to the busy main street and our room faced this street. It's an nice, old building but going to the Acadia Park we didn't expect to have so much noise during the night. The internal acoustic isolation internal isn't much either. So keep in my mind you can hear other guests walking, talking, flushing toilets.
Next to this the place looks nice, the room was fine (although a but stuffy) and the breakfast is good.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

The Cleftstone was a great find. We did not want to spend an arm-and-a-leg, but we wanted a nice stay. Cleftsone met the bill. We had a room (I think that there is only one) with a bath across the hall, and it worked out fine.

It was very clean and Anne, the owner, had excellent appetizers out each evening. The breakfast was as good as I have ever had in any restaurant. Really, knock your socks off great. We did not take advantage of the pool at the adjoining establishment but it was excellent also. Highly recommend, and Anne is top-flight.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights and can't say enough. The place is super clean, hospitalible, easy to access. The breakfast are wonderfull (yes with 2 Ls): could hardly eat lunch. The evening appetizers are first class: well-prepared and varied and could replace dinner if need be. Good value for the price. I would go back. You can use amenities of the Bluenose next door: pool, spa, great room, gym.

Room Tip: Look at the rooms on the website.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank gfemd
Newport, Rhode Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2012

When I browsing here before booked our Bar Harbor trip, I was quite concerned by the comment below about Anne being "unaccommodating". To play safe I decided to split our 4-night stay in Bar Harbor into two, 2 at Cleftstone and the other 2 somewhere else. And let me tell you how I regretted for that decision at the moment I stepped into this place.

Full of historic touches yet free of oldie odors, our room is immaculate, super clean and charmed with wonderful antique furniture. Their breakfast is so tasty and carefully prepared it's far beyond ordinary B&B level and good portion for a long day of hiking. The staff are attentive and helpful. As for Anne - she is awesome!! I even got her recipe book after donating to their lovely recipe box. Everyone was so happy and refreshed during our stay and they complained about the second place I picked :(

Thank you Anne for making our trip perfect and memorable. I will stay nowhere but at Cleftstone next time. And the reason I gave 4 to Rooms is because of the hot water issues some other viewers mentioned.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012

Cleftstone manor was a fantastic inn with a lot of charm. The breakfast was excellent every day, and the staff was attentive, professional and friendly. Ann was a great hostess with a lot of knowledge and resources about the area. She let us borrow hiking and biking books. The social hour was perfect after a day of activity with just enough snacks to hold you over until dinner, and gave you a chance to meet people you would otherwise pass by. If I return to bar harbor I will definitely stay there again. I would recommend it to anyone. It was the unexpected cherry on top of our vacation!

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Avon, Connecticut
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2012

My partner and I found Anne to be unaccomodating and unpleasant. She was gruff and rarely said good morning. As a matter of fact my partner went down early in the morning to get coffee and heard Anne and an employee arguing in the kitchen rather loudly. As for breakfast, the only two options each day were a quiche or baked omelet and pancakes or french toast. I requested an egg white omelet due to medical dietary needs and Anne told me that was not possible as the baked omelet was already made. This was not an acceptable answer, in her advertisement on the Internet it clearly states to let her know of any dietary needs. The room was clean and comfortable.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple