“Good deal quality-price”
Review of Wonder View Inn

Wonder View Inn
Ranked #26 of 41 Hotels in Bar Harbor
Reviewed August 27, 2012

we've spent in this lodge just one night but i can say that it's a good deal quality-price-position....in august any other hotel or accomodation in the very centre of the small city of bar harbour have no vacancy; this lodge is surrounded by the forest and with a good view on the bay. our room was very large even if the forniture style is old fashoned....but..again....good deal quality-price-position.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
TheBluenoseInn, Marketing at Wonder View Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2012

I'm so glad you felt the Wonder View was a good value and appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts on TripAdvisor. We love having a location close to town while also having 14 acres to enjoy and relax upon. We are continuously working to upgrade our property so I hope you'll visit us again.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

First off they need signs. When we starting to walk into our room a1, The hallway had stuff all in it. It should be put away. Cleaning supplies hamper and vaccum. So if you had a room down the hall, you had to go around it. Keys should have a tag with room number on it. Or something! It was just a key. So for me, easy to lose Room was small. Which is fine. But very out dated. Which again is fine if that's the look they are going for. But I mean, the door stopper was broke, the door is super thin. The windows ate peeling and old. Bathroom I was small. The tub was broke on the bottom which they patched up. When my husband took a shower he rebroke it. And the handle bar in the bathroom was a plastic PVC pipe. Very trashy looking. ESP for the price I paid. Bed was great and room was clean. When we would walk out of our room. The other guests would leave the front door open to leave. So we got to walk into a door. I would never stay there again. Plus dissapointed that they didn't have muffins or anything in the morning for there guest. I booked for 2 nights and when we were checking out my husband told them about.the tub. She was kind and apologized. Gave him the slip. I'm looking at it in the car as we are driving away. They gave us someone else's slip. So we drive back just to double check they didn't charge us for that. All in all, I would have saved money and booked a 60.00 hotel. I did get photos as well.

• Stayed: August 2012
3  Thank Mainephoto
hospitality04609, General Manager at Wonder View Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2012

Thank you for your comments regarding your visit to the Wonder View this season. I deeply apologize for the many problems you experienced. No excuses are offered; we siimply did not live up to your expectations or our standards. We are in the midst now of a multi year upgrade program. To hopefully make amends, I would like to offer you a complimentary nights lodging for your next visit to the area. I think your experience will be quite different. Please contact me directly should you opt to take us up on our offer.

Reviewed August 16, 2012

We spent two nights at Wonder View in August and enjoyed the location -- away from the rush of downtown Bar Harbor and yet convenient to restaurants, an excellent grocery store with wine and liquor, and Acadia. (Definitely do the drive around in the park evn if you don't do anything else!) Perhaps, judging from complain of man writing below, one has to ask or have luck for a room with a straight on view but we certainly did. One highlight was sitting on the balcony (true, tiny and connected to rooms next to us, but we saw only one person way down at the other end) and watching the sun set over the water below. Another was breakfast then dinner in the dining room with the water laid out in this distance. Parking literally ini front of the door of room, good-sized refrigerator, lovely European students working in housekeeping and dining room, room comfortable and quiet, and we thought the price was quite decent for Bar Harbor in high season. We'd definitely go back.

1  Thank ncarolinawoman
TheBluenoseInn, Marketing at Wonder View Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Wonder View in on TripAdvisor, we appreciate your thoughtful comments. I'm delighted you had a lovely view you enjoyed, as you correctly observed, the view is different from each of our buildings. It's very convenient being 'above it all' on the edge of downtown Bar Harbor and close to Acadia National Park. We hope you'll visit again soon!

Reviewed August 14, 2012

My wife and I just returned from a week-long vacation in Maine, staying in hotels between Portland and Bar Harbor. Since it was the first time that I was taking her to Bar Harbor, a wonderful vacation spot, I wanted to treat her to something special, which is what this inn promised to be online. On arrival, we were much impressed by its auspicious location at the top of hill, accessed by a lovely, long, craggy tree-lined driveway. Once there, though, it turned out to be a motel-like string of rooms, all connected by thin walls and balconies that were noisy and far from private. Aside from the large and comfortable bathroom, the shoddy deadbolt locks on the main and balcony doors hardly made us feel cosy and safe, and the layout of the room was a bit odd, with strangely-placed appliances that were less than attractive. From our large window, we could barely make out the water in the distance below, and every time that we tried to do so, guests from the adjoining wing were able to peer into our room :( Two other negative features of this $159 room (not incl. taxes) were the lack of an iron/ironing board and coffee maker. This last (deliberate) omission forces guests to climb up to their beautiful, and very expensive, Looking Glass Restaurant, where one feels awkward just ordering a cup of coffee... On the good side, however, the place does allow pets and the cleaning personnel is comprised of very friendly young people from Eastern Europe, who only work there during the summer months. We liked the look of the place, but would not gladly return there, rating it barely an 8 out of ten. Lastly, I agree with one reviewer who said the place has too much light, as we were woken up by the rising sun coming through the milk glass window in the balcony door reflecting off the big wall mirror into our sleeping faces.

Room Tip: Try and get a room on the upper-most level, so that the place can earn its name.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your comments regarding your visit to the Wonder View this season. I deeply apologize for the many problems that you encountered and the perception issues of what you felt you were buying and what the property is. The property is extremely well located, but is indeed an older establishment that provides clean accommodations in a safe and comfortable environment.
Should your travel plans bring you back to New England, we would welcome the opportunity to redeem ourselves by placing you in a unit in a higher elevation with one night complimentary. We are also in the midst of a multi year upgrade program.

Reviewed August 8, 2012

It has been a year since I stayed at the Wonderview and I meant to review it and only remembered upon seeing it again on our recent visit to Bar Harbor. My husband and I actually have a vacation home in the area--so don't normally stay at hotels but we had renovations going on at the house due to a tree falling on our house so I stayed at the Wonderview for one night.

There are *some* good aspects of the hotel. I found the staff to be very pleasant upon checking in--and they call this place the "Wonderview" for a reason. The view from my room was simply spectacular! While it is not on the oceanside of the street, you are up high enough so that you are rewarded with a breathtaking view of Bar Harbor.

It's also a convenient distance from Bar Harbor and there is a shuttle that goes right by, which allows you to avoid the near impossible task of parking.

I also love the "retro" feel of this hotel (I would call it a motel, in reality though). It really reminds me of the mom and pop hotels my family stayed in on vacations when I was a little girl in the late 60's and early 70's. There was even a real key and not a key card!! I honestly felt as though I stepped into Stephen King's time travel book, 11 22 63!

The downsides are pretty major here though. This is not a budget hotel but the hotel itself isn't worth the money they charge--even for a resort area. The bed was HORRIBLE!!! One of the worst I have ever slept on. And the hotel itself needs to be updated--the room smells musty and the bedspread was horrible (you just wonder how many people have used it without it being washed!?). The carpet was threadbare in places and in fact, all the furnishings need to be redone and modernized.

So don't be fooled by the high prices--really--this is nowhere near a luxury hotel.

Room Tip: Ask if they have any newly refurbished ones because the older model rooms have terrible beds (ask fo...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
hospitality04609, General Manager at Wonder View Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2012

Thank you for your comments regarding the Wonder View. From reading your review you last stayed there last season. We truly appreciate the comments about the staff as people are the key to any business and we are very fortunate to have many outstanding associates.
I should add that we are in the midst of a major multi year renovation and have installed WIFI throughout the property, new carpeting is now in most all the rooms, some new furniture has been installed, etc. New bedspreads are planned for the near future as are many other renovations throughout the motel including new bedding where needed.
Therefore we ask that when your travels bring you back to Bar Harbor, you consider the Wonder View again. As you pointed out the location of being right near the park and the downtown is a huge plus and we are indeed a retro property offering clean and comfortable rooms in a great setting. Please contace me directly and I will arrange a special offer for you to hopefully make amends.

Reviewed August 8, 2012

We loved our stay at Wonder View. The front desk staff were so helpful. The location was perfect, as we would walk into Bar Harbor and not have to worry about driving and finding a parking space. It is old style, but clean and cared for by the staff. We will definitely book again!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
TheBluenoseInn, Marketing at Wonder View Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write your lovely review, we very much appreciate it! We pride ourselves on providing value to our guests. A clean, comfortable place to stay, close to downtown Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park, with a fantastic group of employees willing to offer you their expertise on the area. I will pass your compliments along to the rest of the staff and we hope you'll visit again soon.

Reviewed August 6, 2012

Stayed in this motel for three nights. Started out for one night but fell in love with the area. Loved it, would definitely stay again. The rooms are kind of old and outdated, but clean and cared for. The beds need to be replaced. The view from the room and the deck outside the room was great. The price of the room was excellent for the area. Mimi and Courtney at the front desk were always so pleasant and helpful. So close to everything and convenient free bus service to town right outside motel room door!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
TheBluenoseInn, Marketing at Wonder View Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2012

What a lovely compliment to have extended your stay with us, we appreciate it very much. Our staff prides itself on the cleanliness of the rooms at the Wonder View and it's nice that you commented upon that aspect of the property. It's important for us to receive feedback from our guests so we know which direction to head next, we are working continuously to upgrade the rooms and grounds, and will certainly take your comments on ways we can improve into consideration. We hope you'll visit again soon and I will make sure Mimi and Courtney see your review!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bar Harbor
#7 of 41 in Bar Harbor
Kimball Terrace Inn
Kimball Terrace Inn
#2 of 2 in Northeast Harbor

Been to Wonder View Inn? Share your experiences!