I traveled in July of 2009 with my husband and daughter (age 9) to the Bar Harbor area. We looked on line ahead of time at the popular spots in down town Bar Harbor and because of the scary prices and not knowing the area at all we were unsure of where to stay. We ended up not booking anything ahead of time. Please note that we only did this because we were traveling up on a Sunday. Many places book up in advance and I wouldn't reconmend doing this.
We traveled up to the area and explored for a place to stay and found the Edgewater Motel and Cottages. We stayed in the Motel because these were the only rooms left available and we loved it. It was by far the best value we found in the area. You have direct beach access and was perfect for my daughter. We sat on the porch/deck while she was able to explore the sea shore. it was very quiet and relaxing.
The rooms in the motel are very dated, but very clean. We would love to go back and spend a week. The only thing I would do different is book a week in a cottage next time. The cottages are the same price point as the motel rooms. The motel room ran us about 139 a night during high season. The owners were very helpful and business has been in the family since the 1920's.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in Bar Harbor, Edgewater Motel and Cottages is an all waterfront property with many treasures. Only 2.5 miles from the entrance to Acadia National Park and just enough outside downtown Bar Harbor, allows easy accessibility to all points on Mount Desert Island. Our waterfront cottages, motel, and suites are all beautifully positioned on our private pebble beach nestled on a cove, offering much quiet and serenity after a long day of activity. Each of the selected accommodations are upscale-casual, warm, and inviting. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Edgewater Motel And Cottages Hotel Bar Harbor
- Edgewater Hotel Bar Harbor
- Edgewater Motel Bar Harbor
- Edgewater Motel & Cottages Bar Harbor, Maine