“Edgewater is Great Location and a Great Value”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bar Harbor
Edgewater Motel & Cottages
Ranked #14 of 41 Hotels in Bar Harbor
North of Boston, MA
“Edgewater is Great Location and a Great Value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2009

I traveled in July of 2009 with my husband and daughter (age 9) to the Bar Harbor area. We looked on line ahead of time at the popular spots in down town Bar Harbor and because of the scary prices and not knowing the area at all we were unsure of where to stay. We ended up not booking anything ahead of time. Please note that we only did this because we were traveling up on a Sunday. Many places book up in advance and I wouldn't reconmend doing this.

We traveled up to the area and explored for a place to stay and found the Edgewater Motel and Cottages. We stayed in the Motel because these were the only rooms left available and we loved it. It was by far the best value we found in the area. You have direct beach access and was perfect for my daughter. We sat on the porch/deck while she was able to explore the sea shore. it was very quiet and relaxing.

The rooms in the motel are very dated, but very clean. We would love to go back and spend a week. The only thing I would do different is book a week in a cottage next time. The cottages are the same price point as the motel rooms. The motel room ran us about 139 a night during high season. The owners were very helpful and business has been in the family since the 1920's.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank moon01945

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2008

We went looking for a peacful, relaxing vacation and certainly found it at Edgewater. The folks who run it are very nice and helpful. We appreciated their opinions on local restaurants. The cottage (#4 specifically) was very nice and clean (esp. the bathroom). Plenty big enough for just my husband and myself. (They do have larger cottages) A bit dated, but no big deal. I kinda liked the atmosphere. The property is beautiful and calming. In good proximity to Bar Harbor and the park without being on the main highway.

The only minus would be the lack of housekeeping. While they did come and replace towels and such daily, by mid-week the carpet really needed a vacuuming. I don't think daily housekeeping is needed, but definitely a mid-week spruce up!

I'd certainly recommend to anyone wanting a good value and a quiet place.

• Liked — The quiet property and good value
  • Disliked — lack of mid-week housekeeping
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jenny4wheel
Connecticut
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2008

Beware of cancellation policy!

We booked the room in July for mid-October. When the school schedule was published in August, we had to change the dates. The new date wasn't available at Edgewater, so we were forced to cancel the visit, 10 weeks in advance.

As indicated on their website, they held the deposit until they re-rented the room, and they kept $25 for the processing. It took about 8 weeks for them to re-rent the room, so I was nervous about getting the money back.

I feel like 10 weeks is enough notice for 100% immediate refund, don't you?

Stayed October 2008
5 Thank NoreasterCT
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2008

I absolutely loved the tranquil atmosphere and would definitely return for the scenic beauty of Salisbury Cove, if not for the slightly dated motel rooms.

• Liked — scenic views
  • Disliked — dated rooms
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank ijnlg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2008

Cottages and nicely equipped motel rooms accommodate the traveler to the Bar Harbor area. Located close to Acadia National Park and the downtown area. Management pleasant to deal with and friendly with requested info. Warm cup of coffee nice morning welcome! Nice alternative to motel chains and larger hotels in area.

• Liked — Scenery
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank FKW
CT
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2008

I would highly reccommend staying at these cottages. In cottage 9, we had a perfect ocean view from our bed or front porch. (I think most cottages have a great view too, but since I didn't stay in them I can't vouch for them.) This was my first time staying in a cottage and I really liked it. Since we stayed for a week, it was great to have a little more room to spread out than a hotel room would have allowed. It was also nice to have a sort of front yard. Our neigbors left their kayaks out on the side of their cottage all week - something you can't do in a hotel! Plus, with a refrigerator, stove, and grill, we were able to cook a few meals and save some money. The Edgewater website didn't specify what appliances are in the cottages, so if you're worried - yes, there is a coffee-maker. (We almost brought our own along!) There's also a toaster and several pots, pans, wine opener, and other basic utensils. I think there was free coffee made in the main office every morning too, but we made our own (we bought some coffee roasted in Bar Harbor that was pretty good!)

As for location, it was pretty good. We thought we might regret not being right in Bar Harbor, but we didn't at all. It was a short enough drive to both Bar Harbor and the entrance to Acadia NP. It was good to be away from all the buzz of downtown. I remember listening to the sound of NOTHING the first night. Absolutely amazing. The cottages aren't right on the road which is nice, plus the road that everything is on isn't even the main road (it runs parallel to route 3). BUT, it's also very convenient to the free public transportation that runs in the summer and part of the fall. You only need to walk .25 of a mile (about a 5 minute walk) to get to where you can catch the shuttle. I highly reccomend the free shuttle - the buses are really nice and it's a great way to experience the park. You can do a one-way hike or bike ride, then catch the shuttle back home, or to Bar Harbor for dinner. It's great that this place is so amenable to public transportation.

The cottage itself was perfectly adequate. I mean, it's not the Ritz Carleton or anything, but it met all our needs quite well. Lots of windows with screens, a fan, and even heating (which we used on a couple chilly nights). And the heat works extremely well - I had to turn it down actually. We are bed snobs and were a little afraid that the squeaky bed would be our downfall, but we slept very soundly every night. I would definitely stay here again if we ever return to Acadia.

• Liked — feeling like I have my own mini-house
  • Disliked — no diswasher, and the maid didn't wash dishes either
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank AdrienneOnTheGo
Austin, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2008

My husband and I along with our two teenage daughters stayed in the Seascape suite. The location of the cottages/motel is just gorgeous, private, yet close to Bar Harbor central, as well as Acadia National Park. Our suite sat right on the cove - just an amazing sight each morning. Loved having the second bedroom for our daughters. It was so affordable, extremely clean and well appointed. The owners are so friendly and helpful.

• Liked — location and price
  • Disliked — would have liked better internet service
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank laketravishill