This was our first time in Bar Harbor and we wanted to stay somewhere quiet and on the water and this fit the bill perfectly. We stayed in cabin #5. The cabins sit on a small cove with beautiful views and easy access to the water for tidepooling or kayaking. The property was quiet and peaceful. The cabin was well appointed with a queen bed, full bath, couch, easy chair, and a kitchenette with a table and 2 chairs. The kitchenette is big enough to heat up food and cook simple meals but if you were doing serious cooking 3 meals a day I think it would be a challenge. We also had a patio with seating that looked out onto the water.
The one negative is that even Maine can get hot and humid, and with neither air conditioning or a ceiling fan, the cabin could get hot during the day. During the hottest days of our trip, it was not possible to cool the room down to a comfortable temperature even with all the windows open and running the small tabletop fan that was provided. If you are very sensitive to sleeping in warm temperatures, you should keep this in mind.
The cabin is located well off the main road, approx. 6 minutes from the entrance to Acadia park and 15 minutes from Bar Harbor. It is a good compromise if you want to enjoy the restaurants and activities of Bar Harbor but want a refuge from the crowds and the noise. The owner is very helpful if you need tourist advice or anything else.
If we ever go back to Maine we would stay here again without hesitation.
Bonus tip: Mind the tide charts and try to go out at low tide after dark. If you touch the seaweed, it glows! Bring a flashlight as the beach in the dark is treacherous.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in Bar Harbor, Edgewater Motel and Cottages is an all waterfront property with many treasures. Only 2.5 miles from the entrance to Acadia National Park and just enough outside downtown Bar Harbor, allows easy accessibility to all points on Mount Desert Island. Our waterfront cottages, motel, and suites are all beautifully positioned on our private pebble beach nestled on a cove, offering much quiet and serenity after a long day of activity. Each of the selected accommodations are upscale-casual, warm, and inviting. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Edgewater Motel And Cottages Hotel Bar Harbor
- Edgewater Hotel Bar Harbor
- Edgewater Motel Bar Harbor
- Edgewater Motel & Cottages Bar Harbor, Maine