“Beautiful setting on Eastern Bay in Salisbury Cove”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bar Harbor
Edgewater Motel & Cottages
Ranked #12 of 41 Hotels in Bar Harbor
Reviewed September 29, 2008

Cottages and nicely equipped motel rooms accommodate the traveler to the Bar Harbor area. Located close to Acadia National Park and the downtown area. Management pleasant to deal with and friendly with requested info. Warm cup of coffee nice morning welcome! Nice alternative to motel chains and larger hotels in area.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank FKW

Reviewed September 2, 2008

I would highly reccommend staying at these cottages. In cottage 9, we had a perfect ocean view from our bed or front porch. (I think most cottages have a great view too, but since I didn't stay in them I can't vouch for them.) This was my first time staying in a cottage and I really liked it. Since we stayed for a week, it was great to have a little more room to spread out than a hotel room would have allowed. It was also nice to have a sort of front yard. Our neigbors left their kayaks out on the side of their cottage all week - something you can't do in a hotel! Plus, with a refrigerator, stove, and grill, we were able to cook a few meals and save some money. The Edgewater website didn't specify what appliances are in the cottages, so if you're worried - yes, there is a coffee-maker. (We almost brought our own along!) There's also a toaster and several pots, pans, wine opener, and other basic utensils. I think there was free coffee made in the main office every morning too, but we made our own (we bought some coffee roasted in Bar Harbor that was pretty good!)

As for location, it was pretty good. We thought we might regret not being right in Bar Harbor, but we didn't at all. It was a short enough drive to both Bar Harbor and the entrance to Acadia NP. It was good to be away from all the buzz of downtown. I remember listening to the sound of NOTHING the first night. Absolutely amazing. The cottages aren't right on the road which is nice, plus the road that everything is on isn't even the main road (it runs parallel to route 3). BUT, it's also very convenient to the free public transportation that runs in the summer and part of the fall. You only need to walk .25 of a mile (about a 5 minute walk) to get to where you can catch the shuttle. I highly reccomend the free shuttle - the buses are really nice and it's a great way to experience the park. You can do a one-way hike or bike ride, then catch the shuttle back home, or to Bar Harbor for dinner. It's great that this place is so amenable to public transportation.

The cottage itself was perfectly adequate. I mean, it's not the Ritz Carleton or anything, but it met all our needs quite well. Lots of windows with screens, a fan, and even heating (which we used on a couple chilly nights). And the heat works extremely well - I had to turn it down actually. We are bed snobs and were a little afraid that the squeaky bed would be our downfall, but we slept very soundly every night. I would definitely stay here again if we ever return to Acadia.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank AdrienneOnTheGo
Reviewed August 2, 2008

My husband and I along with our two teenage daughters stayed in the Seascape suite. The location of the cottages/motel is just gorgeous, private, yet close to Bar Harbor central, as well as Acadia National Park. Our suite sat right on the cove - just an amazing sight each morning. Loved having the second bedroom for our daughters. It was so affordable, extremely clean and well appointed. The owners are so friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank laketravishill
Reviewed May 8, 2008

Amazing place to stay. So relaxing and peaceful, with the National Park and Bar Harbor literally minutes away. Loved the homemade blueberry muffins, the helpful owners, the very clean accomodations. Can't beat the price too! Liked everything about it, and right on the water - just outside your door. I would definately stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank KCTRAVELKansasCity
Reviewed July 4, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Edgewater cottage #7 the last week of June. Our cottage had a small kitchen with a stove top, sink, microwave, and refrigerator. There was a small table to eat at, a couch, and a queen bed. For just the two of us it was ideal. We arrived late because of plane delays and the staff had the cottage open and all the lights on to welcome us. Whenever we had a question everyone was friendly and helpful.

There is one thing I was not aware of ,that I wish I knew. When we arrived the cottage was very clean. During the week someone will come in to change the towels and make the bed, but you must do any other cleaning. We are not messy people, but our bathroom could have be freshed up during the week.

Stayed: July 2007
2  Thank teachlk
Reviewed September 19, 2006

I cannot speak for the motel but the cottages are nicely done. The view is fantastic and at low tide you can go out to the rock and pull in sun starts 8 to 10 inches in diameter. The children (5 and 10) loved that as much as hiking.

Being 10 minutes from the visitor's center to Acadia and 15 from Bar Harbor, it puts you right in the action of the best summer park on the east coast (I have not been to the west so I cannot speak to that), but not the crowds. As an island surrounded by 50 degree water, the mainland was at 98 and humid while I have pictures of the kids wearing fleece jackets in the early morning on the back deck. PERFECT.

With a full kitchen, you can make your own meals and we were in the larger cottage which sleeps six, with a dining room/living room/bedroom combo. It used to be where they unloaded boats for Bar Harbor (the water wheel is still over your head). It is however, a cottage.

Service is top notch. As an example, A "native" critter managed to make it the door. In minutes, the _owners_ were at the cottage, and pulled all the furniture out and did a hard target search. They even pulled all the dishes out and cleaned them again, including the cupboards just in case it _might_ have been there. The owner then stopped by daily just to be sure everything was perfect.

I am a seasoned road warrior and upscale hotels could learn a lesson here - Customer satisfaction is action based, not PR. This is a great family spot for us and we plan to make it an annual destination.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
2  Thank Kurtruk
Reviewed September 10, 2006

This is the place to stay when you want to be away from the crowds but not totally secluded. The cottages are clean and well managed. Some coittages are a mere few feet from the water, offering such tranquil views of the cove that it was tempting to stay put and enjoy the peaceful setting! While the cottages are situated close to one another, it was still exceptionally quiet during our five-nght visit. We stayed in cottage #2 which had two bedrooms, a cozy living room area, full kitchen, and a surprisingly large full bathroom. It was spacious for two people but a nice splurge.

While a car is needed if you intend to explore at your own pace, the Island Explorer--which operates through Columbus Day-- is a good transportation alternative. Edgewater is conveniently situated off Route 3--just walk back up to the road, stand on the corner and flag the bus as it approaches; then it's a mere 10-15 minute ride right into Bar Harbor.

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Edgewater and intend a return visit--the owners are friendly and helpful, but not overbearing. If you are looking for a quiet location and clean and cozy accommodations then Edgewater is a good alternative. Oh, they have motel rooms and apartments too!

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with family