“Still worth a stop”

bangor, me
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 66 helpful votes
“Still worth a stop”
Reviewed July 28, 2014

We have stopped here several times on our way to and from Bar Harbor.

We love their wines, on our most recent trip we left with 13 bottles to split between us and another couple.

Their Black Barstow and Gewürtztraminer are great. They also make a dessert (icewine) that is wonderful if that's your sort of thing.

The only negative I can say is that the employees doing the tastings (we have done 4 or 5 over the past few years) have varied both in knowledge and attitude. I'm quite sure working a wine tasting bar in Bar Harbor has its challenges, I have seen first hand how rude customers can be, so I have a lot of sympathy for the staff as it is. Also, I'm sure they get a ton of visits and it's probably hard to accommodate that volume of people graciously. But, at other area wineries we have been made to feel more at home by the staff. It doesn't keep me from visiting Bar Harbor Cellars and purchasing their wine but we do usually warn our friends that this isn't the "come on in, we're happy you're here!" sort of place. To give some contrast - on this most recent trip we spent 2-3 hours at a nearby winery as the owner showed us every detail of his operation and truly made us feel like we were welcomed guests. I don't expect this at every winery and surely Bar Harbor Cellars isn't the worst winery I have visited in this regard but it's worth noting.

Another thing worth mentioning - tastings here are free and the tasting we did consisted of 9 wines. That is hugely impressive in this day and age.

Overall, the wines are worth the stop. Smile big and be super polite and hope for the best.

1 Thank skimaine

Winchester, Kentucky
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“Very nice store, but change in staff may help.”
Reviewed July 24, 2014 via mobile

We visited after seeing the signs up and the grapes growing. We have been to many many wineries and tastings and love to sample
Local wines when we travel. When we walked in we were pleasantly surprised at the store. Beautiful rustic area and we thought , ok, this is gonna be good. Like other posters have commented, we,too were not greeted. There were two couples at the tasting and we stood there, not acknowledged. When I asked about the tasting I was told "I have people here tasting first, when they are done then you can have your turn" I was taken a little aback but browsed around waiting - for 20 minutes. Now, I don't understand why they cannot do multiple people at the same time? There is enough room, but it is what it is. When we finally did our tasting, the staff member seemed as though we were not as knowledgable or of a certain class. We were in our shorts and t-shirts just coming back from the beach. We felt very judged. When my husband began to talk about the wines and the growing and fermenting, she became more friendly towards us. However, then she told us about the grapes NOT bring grown there and being shipped in from another country! I guess the grapes outside are for
Looks only lol. Didn't visit the restaurant, but it was very smoky outside, I know they do wood fire pizza and hope this is why, but the smell of burnt popcorn was terrible. If I were you, skip this place and find another one.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Great experience at Bar Harbor Cellars”
Reviewed July 14, 2014

My husband and I visited the Cellars with the intention of eating at the farm-to-table restaurant next door, Sweet Pea Cafe. After eating we stopped into the wine tasting room and had a great experience. The store has many local food items beyond wine including cheeses, meats, chocolates, etc. We tried 4 or 5 wines and purchased three bottles as hostess gifts and thank yous. The woman helping us was very knowledgeable and friendly. We asked her a lot of questions about the wine and chocolates within the store and also the local area, asking for restaurant recommends. She offered great advice. It was a quick visit, but one we enjoyed and would recommend others to stop in.

Knoxville, Tennessee
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Yummy Tasting”
Reviewed July 11, 2014

Hello, went here to see what they had to offer. Did the wine tasting. Enjoyed immensely, although found the man conducting our tasting to not be that friendly. He had us taste everything. I would have preferred just saying I'd like to try this one and this one, but felt like we had to listen to the whole spiel. Anyhow, the wines were lovely and the tasting talk informational. Would recommend if you have the slightest interest in wines.

Visited June 2014
bstevens1951, Retail Operations Manager at Bar Harbor Cellars Winery, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to visit our little winery in Bar Harbor. From only offering 4 wines in 2007, we now stock more than a dozen wines in a variety of styles from dry to sweet. We like to think we have a wine for every taste. The tastings are meant to be informational, and we have found that most folks enjoy that aspect. I hope you will stop in the next time you visit Acadia.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Rude and Disappointing”
Reviewed July 7, 2014

My boyfriend and I had stopped in on a whim to visit the wine-tasting room and left confused and disappointed. I have lived in Europe for 5 years and know how tasting rooms should operate. The sad thing is - is that my boyfriend had never been to a wine tasting room and was excited to try the different wines; I also love wine and love to buy local bottles to take back and share with family and friends.

When we entered the room, it was very impressive and initially loved the smell and look of the room. We did some browsing (there were two couples already at the wine desk and about 2 other people in the store). So I walked up and was not greeted and basically ignored by the two staff members who were focused on the couples in front of me. Now I understand that these couples were there first - however, I should not have been ignored for over 15 minutes! I saw the other people also waiting to taste the wine and I was very confused - don't you want us to taste the wine? Why is your staff not at least pouring some wine for everyone so at least they can have a taste and possibly - buy your wine? My boyfriend was so exasperated that he wanted to leave and I was sad that this spoiled his experience - wine should be enjoyed by everyone and we were made to feel that we were not good enough to even acknowledge.

Please do not think we want anything from you - we will not be back for any free wine. We just want you to possibly retrain your staff. I would recommend you keep one staff member behind the bar just to pour wine for people who are waiting - and then have another staff on hand to answer questions...that way, you can have people enjoy your wine and not be ignored. Subsequently, we went to another winery and bought ourselves boxes of their product to take home.

Thank you!

5 Thank WrldTrav520
I am sorry that you did not enjoy your recent visit to our winery. We try to insure that each of our guests is welcomed and attended to as quickly as possible. As the focus of our wine tastings is as much educational as recreational, we attempt to link a narrative to the tasting. We have found that most of our visitors enjoy this approach. Again, I'm sorry that your visit did not meet your expectations, and perhaps you will accept my invitation to visit again some time.