“Good wine but wine tasting experience left a bad taste....”

Bar Harbor Cellars Winery
Ranked #30 of 69 things to do in Bar Harbor
Rehoboth, Massachusetts
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Good wine but wine tasting experience left a bad taste....”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

My wife and I stopped in over the Labor Day weekend and participated in the wine tasting that was offered. Having stopped at several other vineyards in the area, I was taken aback at the condescending attitude on display by the two gentlemen leading the tasting sessions.

My wife and I arrived after the second sampling of a session, so while browsing in the store, I listened to the various descriptions and stories behind the wines. I thought I was misunderstanding or not hearing the person at first because I thought he was coming across as a bit of a snob, but upon closer attention, my first impression was correct. I chalked it up to maybe someone having an off day or even shift, but when our tasting started, it was the same thing with the gentleman leading our tasting.

Throughout the entire sampling, which consisted of 7 wines, I felt that I was being talked down to the entire time. In addition, due to the large number of people we had in our sampling group (we were formed in to a horseshoe shape out on the main floor instead of at the tasting station), the poor assistant was doing her best to keep up with everyone and the leader did nothing to offer to help her with the pours.

The only reason I had stayed was that the wines were good and my wife wanted to purchase a few of them. Once the official tasting was over, we asked the assistant (Annika) if we could sample one other one that my wife really wanted to try. She graciously gave us each a pour and asked us if there were any others we wished to try. It was only through her actions that we did wind up purchasing a number of bottles.

If you like the wine here and know what you want, go ahead and just stop in to buy it. if you are traveling around and just come across this vineyard and think it would be a nice way to spend 30 minutes or so, I'd recommend to keep on going unless you like to be talked down to.

Visited September 2012
3 Thank Glen M
bstevens1951, Manager at Bar Harbor Cellars Winery, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
I'm sorry that your recent visit to our winery was a disappointment to you. We do try to treat all our customers in a friendly and helpful manner. If this was not your experience, I apologize. I hope you will accept my invitation to visit us again if you are in the area. Thank you.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Worth stopping in”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

We stopped by to pick out a wine to go with our dinner and ended up purchasing 5 bottles after a fantastic tasting! The staff is very knowledgeable and made our time there enjoyable. We will be back the next time we visit the Bar Harbor area!

Visited August 2012
1 Thank iamhungry0210
bstevens1951, Manager at Bar Harbor Cellars Winery, responded to this review, August 22, 2012
Thanks for stopping in. Hope you'll visit again soon!
Chateaugay
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Worth a quick stop”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Free to review and taste different wines. The cranberry is an affordable unique wines for Thanksgiving/souveniers. Take advantage of the blueberry items from the area. We bought 2 bottles of their Cranberry and one bottle of Blueberry for about $50.60. We had tried the blueberry soda on a prior trip and it was delicious too.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank brendaChateaugay
Thanks for stopping in. Hope you'll visit again when you're next in Acadia.
Winslow
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Disappointed”
Reviewed July 25, 2012

We were in the store for 17 minutes before a lady said a simple hello. We stood at the bar / tasting area and still no one asked if they could help us.

Visited July 2012
1 Thank RJV435
Plymouth, Michigan
129 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 180 helpful votes
“Bought full case + 3 more bottles (in Bar Harbor Location)”
Reviewed July 25, 2012

First, we were after the BlueBerry Soda. My son had a Blueberry Float at the Jordan Ponds Ice Cream Store down the road, which comes highly recommended as the best Ice Cream you will ever have. We found the location in downtown Bar Harbor, grabbed a few 6 packs of the soda and found the wine. Wine tasting, no cost which is a suprise as many places we have been have a fee if you do not buy. It was nice that we were able to to taste (and buy) the wine without driving all the way to the Winery. When we finally did find the Winery it was closed, so all purchases were at the Bar Harbor retail store location. I love wine, typically the dark reds and light sweeter summer wines. The BlueBerry - is THE BEST. Ended up with a full case of the Blueberry and 3 bottles of the Cranberry (second fav). The only problem with this wine is that you can sip away and before you know it, 1/2 bottle or so later wow, then it hits you. It is so good, I suggest using it as a cocktail, in those cute glasses serving on ice perhaps with a bit of mint thrown as it can be served Martini style. While a great wine, as I mentioned -- it is so good you can get ahead of yourself it you are a lightweight like I am. This is by far the best wine I have ever had, and wish I could order more when I run out, which will be rather soon. As we need to drive thru Canada to get home, we can't stock up.
They did have a very full selection, from dry table wine to the very sweet, so you may have a different fav. I should also mention the gal at the counter in Bar Harbor was very professional but down to earth, nice, kind and a great employee to have. Hopefully this Company is smart enough to hang onto her and treat her well, as you don't find many people like this. I run my own business and would be thrilled to have such an employee (the gal with the bit past shoulder length brown hair).

Visited July 2012