“Perfect location, comfortable stay”

Harborside Hotel & Marina
Ranked #17 of 41 Hotels in Bar Harbor
Boston
“Perfect location, comfortable stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2014

The location is perfect, the staff was very friendly and the building was beautiful and clean.

For nearly $400/n room I was a little disappointed by the 'Island View' room - Although you can see the island it's not nearly the focal point. The room overlooks the parking lot and the island is off to your right.
Overall the room was clean and comfortable and we enjoyed having the balcony.

Tried the restaurant for both dinner & breakfast, both meals were delicious but service at dinner was far better than what we experienced at breakfast. During breakfast we sat for a while w/ empty coffee cups and within 2 minutes of receiving our food they dropped the bill at our table.

Loved the pool and more-so the drink service at the pool. Our first afternoon the waitress was outstanding, she was super attentive and friendly. Day 2 was a different waitress who seemed less than thrilled and payed more attention to organizing empty tables than her customers.
The chairs around the pool were great and the area was kept clean.

Despite a few service hiccups and the lack of view we really enjoyed our stay here and will likely go back.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
chris torrey t, General Manager at Harborside Hotel & Marina, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
Dear bostonSkT,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a kind review of the Harborside. It sounds as if you experienced many of our wonderful amenities during your visit, such as dining in La Bella Vita and Enoteca along with swimming at our beautiful outdoor pool overlooking the harbor. We hope you plan a return visit soon.

With Warm Hospitality,

Chris Torrey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
San Jose, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2014

We stayed for a week at the Harborside Hotel and Marina. It's a first-class hotel with a staff that is professional, polite, and could not be more helpful. The food -- and the staff -- at their classy Italian restaurant, Bella Vita, is top-notch. The rooms are spacious and beautiful. They overlook the harbor or the pool and classic and quintessential New England village. I would recommend this place for anyone who wants a week away where they will be pampered -- or even a quick long weekend. Just great. We cannot recommend this place more highly. Oh, and did I mention the food at the restaurant. Terrific!!!

Room Tip: Ask for either a room overlooking the pool or the harbor
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear willpeckham,

We appreciate your feedback on your stay here at the Harborside. We are very happy to hear how pleased you were with your accommodations. I will share with our executive chef your pleasure with La Bella Vita. He takes great pride in offering locally grown and very fresh products, we shall make sure he knows the food is “terrific”!!

Thank you so much for the kind words & we hope you will return to see us again very soon.

Warm regards,

Oroville, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2014

The location of this hotel can't be beat, right in the middle of downtown and walking distance to everything with glorious views of the harbor from many of the rooms. It is a very large property, so of course not all the rooms face the water. The standard guest rooms are very comfortable and clean, but a little small. The studio size room was nearly twice as large and including a kitchen, perfect for longer stays or 3 people (they brought a comfy rollaway bed in). The pools were clean and cool, the spa adjacent to the hotel offers excellent massages. There is a $25 per night resort fee to gain access to the spa, the pools, the laundry room (complementary detergent available at the front desk), and parking. All in all a nice resort that I would gladly stay at again.

Room Tip: ask for a water view room on the higher levels for a fantastic view
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Lili P
Dear Lili P,

Thank you for your kind words for our property. We are very fortunate to have a great hotel operated by great associates. It is easy to have a nice resort but without great people to operate it you are lost. We are very happy to see that you would return. As it is said, the ultimate in compliment is a return visit.

Warm regards,

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2014

We initially booked a stay at the West Street Hotel (across the street from the Harborside) for a one night stay. The manager from the West Street called to offer a complimentary upgrade to the Boathouse Suite at the Harborside- I was initially reluctant because the West Street seemed to be much more updated and modern, but eventually accepted, with a bit of hesitance after peeking at the Harborside website.
I can't speak to the majority of this property, but I can tell you that the Boathouse Suite had, hands down, the most absolutely amazing bed I have ever slept in. In fact, we needed our room to be defeathered, which usually means much less fun and comfort in the way of bedding, but in these Boathouse Suites, we literally did not want to get out of bed. We've all talked about replicating them from the mattress all the way to the pillows and sheets. We even gladly missed the famous Bar Harbor sunrise, placing the blame on those wonderful beds.
We didn't use room service or any of the hotel's amenities/features, but I can tell you that the Harborside and West Street are perfectly situated downtown, especially for walking to Bar Island at low tide, or kayaking as we did, and walking right back to your room.
I loved this suite so much that I just booked another stay, partly to share my Bar Harbor experience and this wonderful suite with my daughter, but mostly to return to those beds!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
chris torrey t, General Manager at Harborside Hotel & Marina, responded to this review, September 12, 2014
Dear Linda H,

I am very pleased to hear that you had a wonderful experience staying in our new Boathouse Suites, they are beautiful and have spectacular views, and beds. We are very happy to hear that although reluctant at first, you enjoyed your upgrade to the suite at Harborside! Whether your travels bring you back the Harborside, or the West Street Hotel- we are happy to welcome you back!

Boston, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2014

Nice and old world hotel from the outside and the lobby. However, one is expected to pay $300 a night for the so called "standard view" room and find himself in a dark ground floor room facing a big parking lot. The cars are literally coming in and out within 10 feet of your patio door. They can easily see what is happening inside the room. In fact, the parking lot is wrapped around the hotel building so many rooms are facing the parking. The bathroom is not a five star standard with limited space to manuveor. The shower head is fixed on the wall so one needs to position himself well to get a thorough cleaning. Hotel staff are nice but the service quality needs improvement.

1 Thank Frances C
Dear Frances C,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent time at the Harborside, we appreciate constructive reviews, such as yours, for the continued success of our property. We strive for 100% guest satisfaction, I would like to apologize that we fell short with the execution during your stay, we are always happy to assist and offer alternatives to our valued guests, such as yourself, when the room is not up to expectations. If you choose to return to the Bar Harbor area, I hope that you will contact me directly- I am happy to assist!

Orchard Lake, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2014

Great location in downtown Bar Harbor, close to shopping, restaurants, and activities. Our room was well appointed with a refrigerator, flatscreen, ihome alarm clock and best of all a glass sliding doorway leading to a small brick patio. Our first floor ocean view room looked over the harbor. Being on the first floor meant that from our patio we could walk on the lawn and around the property! The hotel offers a beautiful pool and a separate hot tub. Flowers adorn the pool area along with lovely blue cushioned lounge chairs. The hotel has a restaurant, Bella Vita, with a nice lounge area. The people at the front desk were friendly and had a great sense of humor. Concierge made a great recommendation of a boat sunset tour. Lobby has a real wood burning fireplace and is a cozy area. I would definitely recommend this hotel. I would prefer to see the $25 resort fee added to the price of the room.

Dear Sparty80,

Thank you for taking the time to share your stay with other travelers. The patio rooms are some of my favorite rooms as they offer a larger “balcony” size- with incredible views. From the grounds staff to the Front Desk staff, all work tirelessly to ensure all of our guests have a great experience while visiting downtown Bar Harbor- we are grateful for all the positive comments you have provided regarding your stay!

If your travels bring you back to the Bar Harbor area, I hope the Harborside Hotel, Spa and Marina will your lodging facility of choice!

Atlanta, Georgia, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2014

I made reservations and talked with a very nice young man who gave me lots of suggestions about the area. When I called while on the way to Bar Harbor, I was told that we did not have a reservation. I had to call the Inn in Camden and ask them to accommodate us for another night. As we were driving, I realized that I had given them a credit card, so I called back and lo and behold, they found our reservation. By then it was too late. I did get a cancellation number and hope that is the end of that, but it was scary due to the season.

Room Tip: I have no idea how to help anyone since the messed up our reservation. I would like to add that when...
Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
chris torrey t, General Manager at Harborside Hotel & Marina, responded to this review, August 9, 2014
Dear Carol V,

I would like to offer my sincerest apologies for the reservation error. I was not aware of this situation and will be investigating this as we hate to inconvenience any of our guests with reservation errors.

If you choose to return to the Bar Harbor area, I hope that you will contact me directly- I would be happy to help assist in making the reservation. This is not the level of service that our guests have come to expect at the Harborside, and I apologize that your vacation was impacted by this error.