“A Great Place to Stay on Mt. Desert Island”

Harborside Hotel & Marina
Ranked #18 of 41 Hotels in Bar Harbor
Providence, Rhode Island
“A Great Place to Stay on Mt. Desert Island”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

This relatively new hotel is overall an excellent place for visitors to this area. It is well designed and the location could not be improved. The staff is courteous and helpful, and our room, with 2 doubles and harbor view, was quite spacious and well furnished. The hotel restaurant, La Bella Vita, is first-class. Though the menu is a bit limited, the food is expertly prepared and presented, and, most important, generally delicious. We've stayed in other hotels in Bar Harbor and elsewhere in this area, but Harborside Hotel has been our most enjoyable experience. Highly recommended.

1 Thank WolfgangXYZ

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Massachusetts
Reviewed October 13, 2013

My husband and I planned a last minute trip to Bar Harbor and I called the hotel when I got to Bar Harbor to check on availability. I was told by the reservationist that they had availability (special last minute rates) and that it could be a room facing the water, the street, the bay, etc. She told me that I could check with the front desk when I arrived at the hotel and that if they had waterview available, then I could have it for the rate she quoted. I arrived at the hotel about 5 minutes later and the front desk told me that if I wanted a waterview room, it would cost an additional $100.00. When I explained what I was told on the phone, the manager or asst. manager came out from the back, never said who he was and he was completely rude. He stated that the reservationist was seasonal help and she was still learning her job. The lobby is beautiful and I'm sure that the rest of the hotel is just as lovely, but I would never stay here because of the very rude and snobby attitude that we received. We have stayed in many luxury hotels over the years and for the most part, we were always treated nicely and respectfully. It's a shame when resorts feel that they can treat people so poorly.

8 Thank carlygirl13
chris torrey t, General Manager at Harborside Hotel & Marina, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent experience with the Harborside’s front desk department & reservations. I apologize that your interactions with us lead to your not staying with us.

I will personally follow up with our managers to provide feedback regarding your experience. While we cannot tell from your review the specific manager with whom you spoke other than “he”, it will be a good reminder of the importance of first impressions with our potential guests and how the guest’s experience begins before even arriving at the property.

I hope you will change your mind about coming to visit us in the future. We would look forward to welcoming you to the Harborside and sharing our hospitality with you.

Best Regards,

Chris Torrey
Grand Rapids
Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

It was nice hotel, great location, beautiful hotel, view was amazing. The price however, ouch. The two tables in our room weren't properly tightened, really wobbly, my hubby tightened the one bench by the bed afraid our daughter would break it. It was worth staying here even though it was pricey.

• Stayed October 2013
Weymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 10, 2013

We stayed here towards the end of the season and whilst the hotel staff are / were excellent the price seemed a tad steep for the room. Please don't get me wrong, it's lovely but the resort charge seems a bit of a swizz. We had to move room because of an amazingly loud buzzing (we had a room next to a boiler) and the staff were superb but we were in the bottom level so it all felt a bit 'carparkie' for almost $250 a night. However, the staff are impeccably trained and this is what makes it a great place to stay.

Room Tip: ask for a room on an upper level.
1 Thank RobWeymouth
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 9, 2013

The first time here what a lovely place and a great hotel we had the traditional Maine Lobster diner, o so good. The rooms were large and comfortable with a balcony and ocean view. The buffet breakfasts were excellent. Very handy location and well worth a visit.

Room Tip: There is a free laundry.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed October 9, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed at Harborside Hotel during our getaway weekend. We both had a great time. The hotel was clean and very pleasant. The rooms itself was spacious and clean. The staff was all kind and helpful. We had the room that overlooked the ocean and all I can say is, what a view! The hotel also had a restaurant inside the building. I forgot the name to it, but the food was great.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Miami, Florida
Reviewed October 3, 2013 via mobile

Great hotel , nice location, great ammenities. Good off season rates. Comfy lobby. Right in the middle of things. Rooms are spacious & hotel staff very accommodating & helpful. A little touristy in season, but otherwise perfect. Have stayed here several times so now starting to feel like home. Love it here!

• Stayed October 2013