“Fantastic Family Vacation in Bar Harbor”

Harborside Hotel & Marina
Ranked #20 of 41 Hotels in Bar Harbor
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Our family of five just returned from our stay at the Harborside. We had a great experience. It is a beautiful and well appointed hotel, yet everyone was welcoming of children as well! The location is central to everything in Bar Harbor ( on the marina, across from Bar Island, around the corner from hopping mainstreet, and a few minute drive to Acadia), although you could be happy never leaving the view from the hotel room or pool! We will definitely be back, and I recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank familytravelers411
There are newer reviews for Harborside Hotel & Marina

Reviewed August 19, 2012

This was our first time in Bar Harbor and we decided to treat ourselves by staying at the Harborside. Check-in was quick and was surprised with a complimentary upgrade to a premium king w/island view room. The room was spacious with its own balcony. The bathroom is twice the size of my bathroom at home - had a tub and a separate shower stall. The best part of the room was the bed. It was one of the most comfortable beds I've ever slept in, it wasn't too firm and wasn't too soft, just perfect. They do tell you about the $25/day resort fee as you check in. I was already aware of this before booking the hotel so I just thought of it as part of the hotel rate. If I didn't, I would admit that it would drive me crazy because we didn't use the resort facilities but for one hour in the hot tub and that experience was slightly ruined by a bunch of kids horseplaying in it. The weather during our stay wasn't great so didn't have much opportunity to enjoy the pools, tennis courts, etc. There's no real excuse for us not to use the fitness rooms except that we were on vacation. :-) The Bar Harbor Club is quite grand, very gorgeous grounds. I would have liked a spa treatment but $120 for a 50 minute massage is a bit overpriced no matter how great it might have been. Even Boston's spas charge about $30 less for the same amount of time. We did love the location of this hotel and may return because it is really a great hotel and I think our overall experience could have been even better. As for value, if we were able to take advantage of all the facilities, then I would say that it was completely worth it (5 stars), given that we had the AAA discount AND the free upgrade. However, paying over $300/night for any hotel is a bit steep in my opinion.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 1060 - island view, basically one level above the parking lot. Glad we got upgra...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 19, 2012

What a nice surprize in the middle of busy and expensive Bar Harbor! Walking distance to everything, including the sand bar to Bar Island. The staff was helpful, restaurant great. Air conditioning worked well, the bathroom was clean with lots of towels and products. There was free internet that worked, I was able to connect easily with a strong signal. We were on the oceanfront side, the room was quiet with little neighbor noise. Guests can use the wonderful spa and fitness club. The concierge was knowledgeable and friendly. It was rainy and damp at times but a fire was burning every day in the cozy lobby. The beds were awesome. Check in and out was a breeze. If I had a complaint it was that there was no table or desk in the room, for room service and laptop use there was no place to put anything. Wonderful place!

Room Tip: Try to avoid the parking lot side, upper room balconies are more private and stay dry in the rain. B...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 19, 2012

This was our first time in Bar Harbor and I have to say, I would go back in a heartbeat. So glad we chose to stay at the Harborside Hotel & Marina, it's the perfect location...away from the noise of Maine Street, but right around the corner (literally), a 5 minute drive to Acadia National Park, 20 minutes to Asticou Gardens and the airport and in the heart of some of the best restaurants and cutest shops in the area. The pool and hot tubs are wonderful and there is a decent gym in the adjoining Bar Harbor Club. Coming back each evening to a fire burning in the lobby fireplace was absolutely the most relaxing way to end the day. Agree withh other reviewers to stay on the parking lot side if possible for quiet.
Best breakfast without a doubt - 2 Cats on Cottage St. - not to be missed! I wish we would have gone sooner in our week, we would have eaten there EVERY morning (go early, they get pretty crowded by 9am)! Also, don't miss lunch at Jordan Pond House and the Lobster Rolls at Side Street Cafe. Already dreaming of a return trip and the Harborside is absolutely where we'll stay!

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank travelbug11467
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Reservations were very helpful for us to decide on a bayside view, which was beautiful, at a much lower rate than oceanside. We did not eat at the hotel, but did at the Irish Pub at their sister property across the street. Breakfast was great and so was the bar later. We also enjoyed the pool and the hot tub. I would recommend taking the shore walk by the marina. Every staff member we encountered was incredibly helpful, friendly, and happy to be there. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Robert P
Reviewed August 18, 2012

We just got back from a week's stay at the Harborside. it was enjoyable in every way--comfortable, convenient, great views, impeccable service. The hotel is in the heart of Bar Harbor, within walking distance to every shop and restaurant in town. The setting is splendid, overlooking the harbor and Bar island. If you eat at Labella Vita, the hotel's restaurant, you must sit outside. You get the feeling you're dining in the garden of an Italian villa. You will absolutely remember this flower garden! And the food (Italian) is of consistently high quality. (However, if you're seeking lobster, this is not the place for that....Stewman's 2 doors down is.) The pool is nice and HEATED. there's also a hot tub. Also, guests get access to the Spa and its pool, though we did utilize this benefit. it's a family friendly place too, suitable for children. All rooms have balconies with views of the harbor. We will definitely pick this spot on our next visit to Bar Harbor.

Room Tip: Our room looked out over the pool, which had a great, perhaps best, view of the harbor. The 3rd flo...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 16, 2012

I recently spent a weekend in Bar Harbor and had the great fortune to visit the Spa at the Bar Harbor Club, which is located at the Harborside Hotel . I have traveled all over the world and been to a number of exceptional spas and would rank this spa among the top that I have visited. The facilities and staff were great. The treatments were also top notch - I had an 80 minute massage with Wendy, followed by a hot oil head massage with Christy. It was heaven. I highly recommend this spa and can't wait to return.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends