“loved the sunshine suite!”

Bar Harbor Castlemaine Inn B&B
Ranked #25 of 30 Bar Harbor B&B and Inns
Massachusetts
“loved the sunshine suite!”
Reviewed October 8, 2009

the week after labor day we spent four nights at the castemaine b&b in bar harbor. we choose the sunshine suite on the third floor where we had a king size bed, a working fireplace and a balcony. the room was immaculate and beautifully decorated. we had a sitting area in front of the fireplace, plasma tv and small fridge. (the inn provides you with wax logs for the fireplace) this suite also had a gigantic bathroom with a lovely antique vanity. the inn offers a hearty continental breakfast buffet which we had two of the mornings. the other two mornings we ate at cafe this way which was totally delicious. the service at the inn was great. they were very helpful in reccomending some great restaurants which were all in walking distance, as well as the downtown area. yet the inn is far enough away not to be too noisy. the inn also provides a great selection of old movies in the beautifully decorated common area. there is also a beautiful wrap around porch with comfortable wicker chairs and tables for enjoying breakfast or just hanging out. we really enjoyed our stay there and would not hesitate to go back. all this and only a few minutes from acadia national park!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed September 20, 2009

I stayed 3 nights at Castlemaine in September 2009 for my first trip to Maine. I loved it! I had the Victoria room, which was fantastic because it has a private balcony. The bedroom and bathroom were both very clean, and the bed was very comfortable. For their breakfasts they had a great spread -- granola, cereal, scones, muffins, fruit, juices, etc. Unfortunately I was craving hot breakfasts (which they don't have), so I walked to Jordan's Restaurant about 2 blocks away, for 2 of the mornings I was there. Loved it.

Like some other reviews say, Castlemaine is located just a few blocks from all of the shops, restaurants, etc. Hannaford grocery store is only 2 blocks away. I could easily walk to dinner and to all of the shops, then walk home. I was a solo traveler and I felt completely safe doing so.

Every day in Bar Harbor I would get up early, be gone for most of the day, then come back around 5:00 or 6:00 and park my car at Castlemaine. They have enough spots for their guests, and while parking is a little tight, it didn't bother me.

I would definitely recommend Castlemaine to friends or family heading to Bar Harbor!

Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank atljs
South Korea
Reviewed September 19, 2009

Oh my gosh, my wife and I fell in love with Bar Harbor and the Acadia National Park area. We stayed at the Castlemaine Inn based on the Tripadvisor reviews and we were not disappointed. I am an Active duty Master Sergeant in the US Air Force from Ramstein AB, Germany. I spoke with Dan three weeks before we arrived to Maine and asked about military discounts for our stay. In addition to the discounts, Dan upgraded us to the Sunshine Suite on the 3rd floor. What a large room with a king-size bed, the room was cozy and had a fireplace too. Previous reviews said the parking was limited which I was leery about, but this was not the case and I am not sure what the person is talking about as there is a plenty of parking nearby. The internet in the room was very fast and worked well even on the third floor.
We asked Bobbie the night clerk about a place to eat that night as my wife wanted a Maine lobster. She recommended Galyn’s and boy she did not disappoint either. The next day we went to the Acadia National Park for some spectacular views of this magnificent area of Maine. All in all, what a romantic place to stay and we were sad leaving this spectacular part of Maine. Highly recommend a visit to this area and the Castlemaine Inn.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Bergen County NJ
Reviewed August 19, 2009

My husband and I stayed three nights at The Castlemaine Inn. We were so pleased with the entire experience! I selected it based on other reviews on Tripadvisor, and we were glad that we did. The Inn is very well kept and our room was beautiful, Isabella Suite, I still miss it today! Bobby greeted us, she is very informative about Bar Harbor and will help with reservations or anything else you might need. Dan, the owner was very helpful and nice. Each morning he was there to help us get to where we wanted with maps and lots of knowledge. The staff was very friendly serving breakfast. I liked that breakfast was served unitil 10 o'clock each morning and we weren't rushed. The coffee was outstanding! The location is excellent, a few short blocks from the center of town. The price was very reasonable compared to others with the same amenities. The only thing that you give up is a hot breakfast. The continental breakfast that is served is quite good-sconces, muffins, different kinds of toast, cereal, granola, and fresh fruits, all on beautiful china. Guests can eat on the porch or dining rooms. I knew we picked the perfect Inn when I wasn't looking at others places to stay. We will go back to the Castlemaine Inn next year!

Cincinnati, Oh
Reviewed August 8, 2009

I have been staying at the Castlemaine Inn since Dan & Dede bought it. I always stay before and after my weekly trip to one of the islands. Each year it gets better. The staff takes very good care of me and all their guest. Dan helps everyone get on their way in the mornings to their treks, adventures, gives everyone directions and maps as needed. He makes sure everyone is fed, and the morning staff , Jill, Carol, and housekeeping keeps everything moving. Bobbie who works afternoons helps gets guests checked in and settled and will help with dinner reservations,which she is a whiz at doing!!! I will always return to my favorite inn. They also have a great continental breakfast with lots of variety, with good sources of protein, fruits, carbs, and of course great coffee!!!!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank traveltoo
Morristown, New Jersey
Reviewed July 18, 2009

My better half and our best friends planned a week's vacation in Maine-- and our first trip to Bar Harbor-- and chose the Castlemaine after checking reviews. We were so pleased that we did. The inkeepers (Dan and Dede) were friendly, welcoming, and extremely helpful, really went out of our way to make sure that we were having a good time. They have a wonderful staff who serve the breakfast and who keep the rooms and the common areas spotless. They are knowledgeable and have great resources to help make your stay even better. The rooms were large, nicely decorated, and well appointed. And the Inn's location can't be beat: it's an easy, short walk to the center of Bar Harbor, but you are not in the midst of the "maddening throng" in high season, and you can sit on the Inn's porch with a book (and your glass of wine) and it is cool, quiet and lovely. My only grumble (and it's a very little one) is with the parking, which is limited. Still, that's a small point; and when we come back to Bar Harbor, we'll definitely book at the Castlemaine.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MisterTravelFella
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed July 12, 2009

I thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Castlemaine Inn, even though it was only for one night. Our room was spacious and comfortable, and they provided us excellent customer service.

We drove 5 long hours to Bar Harbor, Maine from Sugar Hill, New Hampshire and didn't expect to arrive at the inn until about 10 p.m. We called ahead to let them know, and though we didn't get there until 10:30 p.m., they waited to welcome us and hand us our keys! That gave me a great first impression.

The inn is located a couple of houses down from one of the town's main streets. This location was ideal, because (1) it was close enough to be within walking distance of many shops and restaurants, yet (2) you don't get the noise of that busy street.

We stayed in the Ribbon Room and it was huge! And so was the bathroom, with a combination shower/tub. The room was very spacious, with a closet, TV, dresser, an A/C unit and a small fridge.

Breakfast was served in a cozy dining area downstairs, where bagels, fresh fruit, jams and jellies, butter, hard-boiled eggs, yogurt & granola, home-made cookies, coffee, tea and orange juice were available. A toaster was also provided. We met some of the staff -- and one of them had just moved from Arizona! -- and they were as welcoming and friendly as could be.

The Castlemaine was an excellent place to stay in Bar Harbor to visit Acadia National Park and other local attractions. I would definitely stay here again next time!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple