“Great Stay”

Bar Harbor Castlemaine Inn B&B
Ranked #21 of 29 Bar Harbor B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Good location, great service from the staff, very helpful with information on the local attractions includeing the restrauants and all the services the park has to offer. The breakfast was very good with choices, and the service was great. Enjoyed sitting on the porch and drinking a cup of tea.

Room Tip: Book early
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 9, 2013

We found a gem in Bar Harbor! The Castlemaine Inn was wonderful for service, location and comfort. The room we stayed in was one of the smaller rooms in the Inn but was very comfortable. It included our own private deck overlooking Holland St where we had coffee every morning. Dan, the owner, was extremely knowledgeable and helpful with planning a hike of Cadillac Mtn in Acadia National Park. He also recommended a trip through Northeast Harbor which was absolutely beautiful. The Inn is within walking distance to all Bar Harbor activities. Breakfasts were great with multiple choices each morning. We will be staying here again the next time we travel to Bar Harbor.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I would give them 10 stars if I could!! Great place! Everything was perfect. We will definitely return! The only drawback is they are not dog friendly. Perfect location. I love the big jacuzzi tub! Delicious breakfast. Very friendly staff. Love this place!!

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Travelingaround182
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Castlemain Inn was my ideal accomodation in Bar Harbor. A very well maintained and run small hotel on a convenient but quiet street. Grocery and sport stores right around the corner. Excellent breakfasts included in the reasonable rates!

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Without a doubt the best service I have ever received at a Bed & Breakfast; ever! I would highly recommend the Castlemaine Inn due to their location and proximity to everything in Bar Harbor, but what really made this stay memorable for me was the level of service I received after checking-out.

After leaving Bar Harbor I drove back to Portland (+3 hours) to attend a wedding before flying home to Las Vegas. Upon my arrival to Portland I realized that I left my ID at bar back in Bar Harbor. I called Bobbi at the Castlemaine Inn to see if she could assist and without batting an eye, she offered to come-in on her day off, pick-up my ID and FedEx it to me in Portland. She truly overwhelmed me with her desire to provide over-the-top service even after I had already checked-out!!!

I would HIGHLY recommend the Castlemaine Inn to anyone looking to stay at a unique venue in the heart of Bar Harbor, while ensuring that you get the friendliest and most attentive service in the state!

Room Tip: Room #15 (Romantic Suite) has a great back porch.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Positives: good location and nice manager who gave us some thoughtful suggestions for places to go after visiting Acadia Park. Girl attending at breakfast was nice and pleasant.

Negatives: Poor bedding - sheets were rough and "pill-y" from either over washing or cheap fabric which was worn out. Pillows were dreadfully lumpy and unpleasant. Made for uncomfortable sleeping. No light blocking shades on the windows which meant waking up earlier than we would have liked. Initial impression upon entering the inn was not good as somewhat tacky breakfast room was just to the left of the entry door; linoleum flooring and black tables and chairs were off putting. Tattered carpet on front steps.
Breakfast could only be described as ordinary.
Parking very tight, had to park across the street due to lack of space.
Overall, not too impressed unfortunately. Were we to return to Bar Harbor we would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Stayed in Sunshine Suite. Very roomy with a tiny balcony as well. But, required two flights of sta...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Although my wife's first impression of the public area was uncertain, given the very large, bright floral print wallpaper, with matching material in the main couch, by the time we left after three days at the Inn, we didn't even notice it. Dan and his staff couldn't have been friendlier or more helpful with everything from wonderful breakfasts, to advice on how much time to allow for various activities, and dead on recommendations for several things to do that were not on our original agenda. His insights in particular into the myriad activities available throughout the Mount Desert Island were invaluable. The shore walk was wonderful, and just being so convenient to all of downtown Bar Harbor made the stay great, and very walkable for almost everything within the town. Blueberry pancakes were an amazing way to start the day.

Room Tip: Honeymoon Suite that we rented was great in that it had its own private entrance from outdoors, maki...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends