“Terrific says my traveling husband ! What could they do better?”
Review of The Bayview

The Bayview
Ranked #1 of 41 Hotels in Bar Harbor
Atlanta, Georgia
“Terrific says my traveling husband ! What could they do better?”
Reviewed July 3, 2014 via mobile

They did a great job. An A+ for clean as a whistle, especially if you are a clean phobe like me! They dont have hair conditioner offered but other than that, super. We surprisingly used the shuttle all the time, even with a car. Great to not worry about parking spots during peak season. We also walked into town from the hotel plenty. I did agree with the decor comments....if u are expecting an upscale, modern look- it's not. But every detail is SO comfortable, you realize it dosent matter and the homliness IS nice. And it's very quiet which was great! Super accomodating and knowledgable staff. Having spent 5 nites there I understood why it's so highly rated by all, and I like "dressed up" places usually. Definitely would give it a "go".

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LLD2215
Trish04609, Manager at The Bayview, responded to this review, July 4, 2014
Thank you, an A+ makes us happy! Your review title is great also; we do the best that we can. I have been on the fence about the conditioner for a long time. We had shampoo and conditioner, and then I had comments that it was too many plastic bottles and that conditioning shampoo was much quicker! I switched to this about four years ago; maybe I will switch back again. Please let me know if you are returning, and we will make it right! I am glad you enjoyed the shuttle, glad you knew what to expect when you arrived and glad you commented that we weren't necessarily dressed up, but we were clean, neat and terrific! Thank you again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
Groton, Connecticut
Reviewed July 2, 2014

We arrived early at the Bayview after a 4 hour motorcycle ride in a driving rain storm. The staff was simply awesome, and bent over backwards to take care of us. They checked us in several hours early so we could dry off and clean up. Once we had showered and changed, they made great recommendations for lunch and dinner, and made reservations for us. The shuttle service to downtown is very helpful considering the limited parking during the summer.

I found the hotel itself to be very comfortable, with an incredible view of the harbor particularly at sunset. Another reviewer commented that the "decor was outdated". I found it charming.

We travel a lot, for both business and pleasure. I can honestly say that The Bayview is in the top 5 of all the places we have stayed.

1 Thank Charles H
Trish04609, Manager at The Bayview, responded to this review, July 4, 2014
We all felt your pain when you pulled in our driveway; it was a driving rain that day. Betty and Leslee wanted to make sure you got right to your room and dried off! It all worked out perfectly and they were a big part of that. We tend to treat our guests like family and it just wasn’t right for such nice folks to look like drowned rats! (Their words not mine!) I think you truly got a sense of what is great about The Bayview. Our staff really does care and our décor is a matter of personal preference, we think charming (thank you very much) and others think dated. We thank you for your very kind and wonderful review. We hope you return again someday and may the sun shine on you and your motorcycles next time!
Staunton, Virginia
Reviewed July 2, 2014

We have a family of five, so traveling can be expensive and difficult. It is not easy to find a hotel to accommodate us comfortably at a reasonable price. The Bayview family room was large enough for us. If we were staying for longer than a few nights, I would probably consider the town houses. The staff was incredibly helpful. They directed us toward several restaurants and helped us with our visit to Acadia. The shuttle to town was really handy, as parking is difficult to manage down there. The afternoon desserts and the breakfast was a high light. My kids ran in the door every afternoon to grab a cookie or whoopie pie. We had a cream cheese blueberry french toast for breakfast one day that was to die for. My son remarked on the banana bread, "It tastes just like Nana's." Trust me, very high praise. The rooms are not sophisticated in decor, but are extremely comfortable and very clean. They all overlook the water. We really enjoyed our deck each evening. I would certainly recommend The Bayview and would return in a heart beat.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank imhome
Trish04609, Manager at The Bayview, responded to this review, July 4, 2014
Thank you so much for the great review! Your entire family fit right in with ours! When someone comes to stay we want to make sure they are able to see and do the most that they can while they are here. I am glad we were able to help your family do just that! I was thinking when I was reading the review that perhaps you could come again and bring Nana! Then we could have a bake-off and all of us that tried the food would be the winners! You could do the town house like you stated and then she could cook anytime she wanted and we could certainly eat any time it needed to be tested. Thank you again for the wonderful review. I liked your description of our décor, which has been a discussion in this forum for quite a while. I also appreciate you stating that our rooms are comfortable and clean. We all do hope you will return someday!
MI
Reviewed July 1, 2014

We stayed at the Bayview, based on the glowing recommendations on this site. Unfortunately, the Bayview did not live up to our expectations. The room that we were in had a musty smell and the furniture and room decor was outdated. Not sure when the last remodeling was done, but I would recommend sooner and not later. We stayed at a number of other hotels on our vacation within the same price range (or less) and this hotel was last on our list.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
9 Thank chalklit5
Trish04609, Manager at The Bayview, responded to this review, July 4, 2014
Thank you for your review and I am sorry that we did not live up to your expectations. I agree that all the glowing reviews give travelers a sense of who we are at The Bayview but perhaps I need to also clarify again what we are. A guest writes a review based on their experience, so it is a personal statement of either satisfaction or dissatisfaction. We try to state clearly that we are true to our original intentions and maintain our property with the utmost care. We do renovations every winter on a rotating schedule. Carpets, linens, mattresses, bathrooms, guestrooms, painting, upholstered furniture and so on are continually being upgraded. Our beds, vanities and armoires are original. Many of our townhouse furnishings are the same. We even have some antiques throughout the property that once graced the home of Sir Harry Oakes. These pieces are the style we like, dated or not according to different opinions. There are many hotels in this area that are more modern with the chrome and glass, with themed rooms and décor and they are beautiful. If that is what someone prefers they can easily find it in Bar Harbor. We just aren’t that place. We are a beautiful oceanfront property with spectacular views, delicious food, friendly staff and a great location, for many, but not all travelers. Hopefully people will read all of the descriptions and responses and know just what to expect when they arrive. Thank you again for taking the time to write your review. I am glad that the rest of your vacation was successful.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 30, 2014

Our daughter stayed her last year and recommended it to us. She thought it was brilliant - and so did we. There are so many positive features about the hotel, many already listed by other reviewers, but there is something quite special about the place which is hard to define precisely. I think it might be the general warmth and friendliness that pervades the whole place. We stayed for three nights (wish it had been 3 months!) and loved everything. All the staff we encountered were delightful - cheerful, friendly, helpful and efficient. The room was lovely - spacious and spotless. The best thing of course, was the balcony and the glorious view. Unfortunately we didn't spend any time sitting and reflecting as the nature of our trip meant we had active plans every day. The breakfasts were absolutely wonderful and most, if not all, of it made in-house by the great chefs. First class! I am hungry just thinking about it whilst writing this review! As for the daily cookies and cakes - they are a real treat and utterly delicious. We didn't use the pool (too chilly for me!) but it is a nice facility to have. I have stayed in quite a few 5* hotels around the world and as far as I am concerned The Bayview beats them all. We prefer smaller, more intimate and less pretentious establishments and the Bayview fits the bill perfectly. It is quite simply just one of the nicest hotels to stay in. If we ever return to Maine - and I hope we will one day - then we will make a beeline for The Bayview. Superb! Thank you for making our stay so memorable.

Trish04609, Manager at The Bayview, responded to this review, July 4, 2014
Thank you! We feel very proud that so many of our guests come here because of family and friend referrals. Then we are twice as happy when these same guests start becoming our repeat customers year after year. We really appreciate all of our customers and it is always a challenge to make sure each visitor enjoys the same feeling of home with their stay. We know from many years of trying that we can’t please everyone but we do our best and we can’t do more than that! If I remember correctly, you traveled quite a distance to get here and we are very pleased you made the trip. We wish you could have stayed three months too! Then you could have enjoyed breakfast every morning, had a swim in the pool each afternoon and relaxed on your deck with a cookie every evening! Thank you again for the wonderful review and we extend a heartfelt “You’re Welcome!” right back!
New York
Reviewed June 28, 2014 via mobile

Every afternoon some of the best cookies I've ever eaten are unveiled in the lobby of The Bayview. I've eaten cookies all over the country and visited the best bakeries in NYC, following the recommendations of all the food network shows and such and these surpass even those. The rooms are spacious and very clean. The staff is genuinely friendly and attentive . The continental breakfast is made by the same magician who makes the cookies ....enough said. The view and location can't be beat.... But have I mentioned the cookies....

Stayed June 2014
1 Thank kris4897
Trish04609, Manager at The Bayview, responded to this review, June 29, 2014
Thank you! I told Nora and Matt right away what you said. (Nora is our head magician and Matt is her assistant and what a team they are!) Being in the lobby every morning is such a challenge. I don't know if you remember those old cartoons where the pie was placed on the windowsill and the aroma traveled like a snake to every one standing close by. It was irresistible! That is what I think about every morning when breakfast is cooking and the cookies are baking. Then to add insult to injury, we have to stand at the Front Desk and smell them all over again every afternoon at 2! Thank you for all the kind words about the staff and the view and the clean rooms too. I have a feeling that we will see you here again someday!
Pittsburg, Kansas, United States
Reviewed June 25, 2014

I'm a hotel snob. Big time. I like luxury, and I like everything to be perfect. And I can easily say that no place does it better than The Bayview in Bar Harbor, Maine. This place is absolutely amazing. It's not luxurious in the way we often think about luxury. The rooms aren't fancy. The hotel itself isn't huge or spectacular. But once you are inside this place, you feel better than you ever have in your life. The staff is genuinely kind. The rooms are peaceful and clean. The beds are the most comfortable beds I've ever slept in. And the view ... my goodness, the view. Absolutely breathtaking. Do not waste one second on considering another hotel in Bar Harbor. Stay at The Bayview.

2 Thank Brett D
Trish04609, Manager at The Bayview, responded to this review, June 27, 2014
Thank you! I always get nervous with the “best” word and then I read your review and saw “hotel snob” and thought wow! Kind of brought back that old Sally Field quote, “You like me, you really like me!” Thank you from all of us here for seeing us the way we want to be seen. No acts, no pretentiousness, no lies. We are who we are and we are glad you stayed with us. Peaceful is a great description of our location and our intentions. Hopefully we will see you again very soon!