“Comfortable, friendly stay”

Ranked #1 of 41 Hotels in Bar Harbor
Staunton, Virginia
“Comfortable, friendly stay”
Reviewed July 2, 2014

We have a family of five, so traveling can be expensive and difficult. It is not easy to find a hotel to accommodate us comfortably at a reasonable price. The Bayview family room was large enough for us. If we were staying for longer than a few nights, I would probably consider the town houses. The staff was incredibly helpful. They directed us toward several restaurants and helped us with our visit to Acadia. The shuttle to town was really handy, as parking is difficult to manage down there. The afternoon desserts and the breakfast was a high light. My kids ran in the door every afternoon to grab a cookie or whoopie pie. We had a cream cheese blueberry french toast for breakfast one day that was to die for. My son remarked on the banana bread, "It tastes just like Nana's." Trust me, very high praise. The rooms are not sophisticated in decor, but are extremely comfortable and very clean. They all overlook the water. We really enjoyed our deck each evening. I would certainly recommend The Bayview and would return in a heart beat.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank imhome
Trish04609, Manager at The Bayview, responded to this review, July 4, 2014
Thank you so much for the great review! Your entire family fit right in with ours! When someone comes to stay we want to make sure they are able to see and do the most that they can while they are here. I am glad we were able to help your family do just that! I was thinking when I was reading the review that perhaps you could come again and bring Nana! Then we could have a bake-off and all of us that tried the food would be the winners! You could do the town house like you stated and then she could cook anytime she wanted and we could certainly eat any time it needed to be tested. Thank you again for the wonderful review. I liked your description of our décor, which has been a discussion in this forum for quite a while. I also appreciate you stating that our rooms are comfortable and clean. We all do hope you will return someday!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
MI
Reviewed July 1, 2014

We stayed at the Bayview, based on the glowing recommendations on this site. Unfortunately, the Bayview did not live up to our expectations. The room that we were in had a musty smell and the furniture and room decor was outdated. Not sure when the last remodeling was done, but I would recommend sooner and not later. We stayed at a number of other hotels on our vacation within the same price range (or less) and this hotel was last on our list.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
9 Thank chalklit5
Trish04609, Manager at The Bayview, responded to this review, July 4, 2014
Thank you for your review and I am sorry that we did not live up to your expectations. I agree that all the glowing reviews give travelers a sense of who we are at The Bayview but perhaps I need to also clarify again what we are. A guest writes a review based on their experience, so it is a personal statement of either satisfaction or dissatisfaction. We try to state clearly that we are true to our original intentions and maintain our property with the utmost care. We do renovations every winter on a rotating schedule. Carpets, linens, mattresses, bathrooms, guestrooms, painting, upholstered furniture and so on are continually being upgraded. Our beds, vanities and armoires are original. Many of our townhouse furnishings are the same. We even have some antiques throughout the property that once graced the home of Sir Harry Oakes. These pieces are the style we like, dated or not according to different opinions. There are many hotels in this area that are more modern with the chrome and glass, with themed rooms and décor and they are beautiful. If that is what someone prefers they can easily find it in Bar Harbor. We just aren’t that place. We are a beautiful oceanfront property with spectacular views, delicious food, friendly staff and a great location, for many, but not all travelers. Hopefully people will read all of the descriptions and responses and know just what to expect when they arrive. Thank you again for taking the time to write your review. I am glad that the rest of your vacation was successful.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 30, 2014

Our daughter stayed her last year and recommended it to us. She thought it was brilliant - and so did we. There are so many positive features about the hotel, many already listed by other reviewers, but there is something quite special about the place which is hard to define precisely. I think it might be the general warmth and friendliness that pervades the whole place. We stayed for three nights (wish it had been 3 months!) and loved everything. All the staff we encountered were delightful - cheerful, friendly, helpful and efficient. The room was lovely - spacious and spotless. The best thing of course, was the balcony and the glorious view. Unfortunately we didn't spend any time sitting and reflecting as the nature of our trip meant we had active plans every day. The breakfasts were absolutely wonderful and most, if not all, of it made in-house by the great chefs. First class! I am hungry just thinking about it whilst writing this review! As for the daily cookies and cakes - they are a real treat and utterly delicious. We didn't use the pool (too chilly for me!) but it is a nice facility to have. I have stayed in quite a few 5* hotels around the world and as far as I am concerned The Bayview beats them all. We prefer smaller, more intimate and less pretentious establishments and the Bayview fits the bill perfectly. It is quite simply just one of the nicest hotels to stay in. If we ever return to Maine - and I hope we will one day - then we will make a beeline for The Bayview. Superb! Thank you for making our stay so memorable.

Trish04609, Manager at The Bayview, responded to this review, July 4, 2014
Thank you! We feel very proud that so many of our guests come here because of family and friend referrals. Then we are twice as happy when these same guests start becoming our repeat customers year after year. We really appreciate all of our customers and it is always a challenge to make sure each visitor enjoys the same feeling of home with their stay. We know from many years of trying that we can’t please everyone but we do our best and we can’t do more than that! If I remember correctly, you traveled quite a distance to get here and we are very pleased you made the trip. We wish you could have stayed three months too! Then you could have enjoyed breakfast every morning, had a swim in the pool each afternoon and relaxed on your deck with a cookie every evening! Thank you again for the wonderful review and we extend a heartfelt “You’re Welcome!” right back!
New York
Reviewed June 28, 2014 via mobile

Every afternoon some of the best cookies I've ever eaten are unveiled in the lobby of The Bayview. I've eaten cookies all over the country and visited the best bakeries in NYC, following the recommendations of all the food network shows and such and these surpass even those. The rooms are spacious and very clean. The staff is genuinely friendly and attentive . The continental breakfast is made by the same magician who makes the cookies ....enough said. The view and location can't be beat.... But have I mentioned the cookies....

Stayed June 2014
1 Thank kris4897
Trish04609, Manager at The Bayview, responded to this review, June 29, 2014
Thank you! I told Nora and Matt right away what you said. (Nora is our head magician and Matt is her assistant and what a team they are!) Being in the lobby every morning is such a challenge. I don't know if you remember those old cartoons where the pie was placed on the windowsill and the aroma traveled like a snake to every one standing close by. It was irresistible! That is what I think about every morning when breakfast is cooking and the cookies are baking. Then to add insult to injury, we have to stand at the Front Desk and smell them all over again every afternoon at 2! Thank you for all the kind words about the staff and the view and the clean rooms too. I have a feeling that we will see you here again someday!
Pittsburg, Kansas, United States
Reviewed June 25, 2014

I'm a hotel snob. Big time. I like luxury, and I like everything to be perfect. And I can easily say that no place does it better than The Bayview in Bar Harbor, Maine. This place is absolutely amazing. It's not luxurious in the way we often think about luxury. The rooms aren't fancy. The hotel itself isn't huge or spectacular. But once you are inside this place, you feel better than you ever have in your life. The staff is genuinely kind. The rooms are peaceful and clean. The beds are the most comfortable beds I've ever slept in. And the view ... my goodness, the view. Absolutely breathtaking. Do not waste one second on considering another hotel in Bar Harbor. Stay at The Bayview.

2 Thank Brett D
Trish04609, Manager at The Bayview, responded to this review, June 27, 2014
Thank you! I always get nervous with the “best” word and then I read your review and saw “hotel snob” and thought wow! Kind of brought back that old Sally Field quote, “You like me, you really like me!” Thank you from all of us here for seeing us the way we want to be seen. No acts, no pretentiousness, no lies. We are who we are and we are glad you stayed with us. Peaceful is a great description of our location and our intentions. Hopefully we will see you again very soon!
Maine
Reviewed June 23, 2014

We stayed for two wonderful nights and we not disappointed by any means. Price was very reasonable, especially considering the time of year. The room was clean, big with a comfy bed and sofa. Loved the refigerator, keurig, free wifi, and great view from the balcony. I actually made a cup of coffee in the room, something I had never done before. Even so, they have coffee and tea available all day and night in their dining room. The afternoon homemade cookies and sweets (i.e. whoopie pies & cream puffs) were probably my favorite part of our whole stay (so my wife says). The balcony and view was incredible. It was great too because it was quiet and you didn't hear any of the hussle and bussle downtown. The place was relatively full, but we never heard a peep from either room adjacent to us and it never seemed at all crowded. We used the complimentary shuttle for dinner both nights and all of the staff was friendly and very helpful. Harry makes great drinks down at the bar. Breakfast was first class with a hot entree and then oatmeal, pastries, cereal, fresh fruit, etc. My only knock was the water pressure in the shower was very poor. You could get piping hot water, but the pressure was weak. Still didn't deter from our stay overall and we will be going back here the next time we come back down to Bar Harbor

Room Tip: Every room has the same great views with a private balcony. However, the king beds are on the top f...
2 Thank ynkhtr19
Trish04609, Manager at The Bayview, responded to this review, June 27, 2014
Thank you! You said it all and then some! It sounds to me like you were ready to relax and enjoy and I am glad that you were able to! I wish I had known about the shower earlier. We now know it was a valve, not that anyone really cares, but you need to know it isn’t the norm. It has now been replaced and our fingers are crossed that is the end of that! Please come back again and see that the pressure is back in the shower and on us too, we want to give a repeat performance on all that was good! The whoopies and cream puffs will be here too. Thank you again!
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 22, 2014

We spent a very pleasant three days at the Bayview this June. An excellent choice. Here are some details.

Location: 1.2 miles to the West of downtown Bar Harbor and so a very pleasant and easy walk. The hotel is on Route 3 but sited down a small hill, directly on the shore of Frenchmen's Bay, so there is no road noise. (We slept with our patio door open and heard only the sounds of the waves hitting the stone beach, except for one night when a wedding at the resort next door played music until 10:30 PM.) The park entrance is a mile or so further West, so the hotel is situated ideally for both town and park.

Staff: Uniformly pleasant, attentive and well-informed about Acadia and other activities.

Room: Large and comfortable, directly overlooking the Bay and facing north. All the rooms have a southern entrance inside the hotel and face North, with large balconies and plastic chairs. The room was clean, well-furnished, though rather bland, all browns and dark colors. Even though it contained a king-sized bed (very comfortable), queen-sized couch (very ugly), a table and two chairs, cupboard with a Keurig coffee maker, microwave and fridge (no freezer), chest of drawers with TV cabinet on top, side table with bench, there was still plenty of room to move about. It would be nice to have a brighter, more decorated room, perhaps blues and whites, but one does not stay here to spend time in the room, rather for the view, and the adjacent park and town.

Bathroom: Clean and equipped with plastic bath/shower (good water flow), single sink vanity (two sinks would be a nice touch) and bathrobes. Better lighting than provided (2 40 watt chandelier bulbs) would help and I would presume that the local power company would be eager to provide LED lights. Also, taking two feet of space from the bed area to expand the bathroom would allow more than one person to use the bathroom,

Breakfast (included in the room rate): Excellent. Sinfully good pastries, probably the best croissants I have ever had outside of Paris (they import the frozen dough from France), and a wide selection requires a lot of self-control. Hot and cold cereals, fresh fruit, homemade preserves, yogurt, juices (carton, not fresh squeezed), tea, coffee, hot chocolate every day. Each day, the chef prepares a different hot item (we had scrambled eggs, fritatta, and eggs Benedict) and all were good. From 2 PM on, there are cookies and sweets at the front desk and the hot beverages are available all the time in the dining area.

Pool: Across the parking lot and up some stairs. Heated to 80 degrees. It was a bit too cold during our stay to use.

Room Tip: All the rooms face the water but the view is somewhat better on the third, or top, floor.
1 Thank Alexander A
Trish04609, Manager at The Bayview, responded to this review, June 27, 2014
Thank you for the very complimentary and detailed review. It is helpful for us when our guests take the time to tell us what they would like to see and what they thought about The Bayview. Overall, what I consider to be the most important points are the basic points of any good hotel, motel or Inn anywhere. You answered yes to all of them, attentive staff, clean rooms and good food. On top of that you mentioned the spectacular views, guest room amenities and location, all positive too. Interior design and decorating are always subjective so our ideas and yours may not be the same, but if we offer a clean and welcoming environment then we are in agreement. As for the view and the croissants, I am with you totally. I think I could sit on a seaweed and barnacle covered rock and still be happy with that! Thank you again!