“Bayview, Bar Harbor”

Ranked #1 of 41 Hotels in Bar Harbor
Boston, Massachusetts
“Bayview, Bar Harbor”
Reviewed June 22, 2014

We spent a very pleasant three days at the Bayview this June. An excellent choice. Here are some details.

Location: 1.2 miles to the West of downtown Bar Harbor and so a very pleasant and easy walk. The hotel is on Route 3 but sited down a small hill, directly on the shore of Frenchmen's Bay, so there is no road noise. (We slept with our patio door open and heard only the sounds of the waves hitting the stone beach, except for one night when a wedding at the resort next door played music until 10:30 PM.) The park entrance is a mile or so further West, so the hotel is situated ideally for both town and park.

Staff: Uniformly pleasant, attentive and well-informed about Acadia and other activities.

Room: Large and comfortable, directly overlooking the Bay and facing north. All the rooms have a southern entrance inside the hotel and face North, with large balconies and plastic chairs. The room was clean, well-furnished, though rather bland, all browns and dark colors. Even though it contained a king-sized bed (very comfortable), queen-sized couch (very ugly), a table and two chairs, cupboard with a Keurig coffee maker, microwave and fridge (no freezer), chest of drawers with TV cabinet on top, side table with bench, there was still plenty of room to move about. It would be nice to have a brighter, more decorated room, perhaps blues and whites, but one does not stay here to spend time in the room, rather for the view, and the adjacent park and town.

Bathroom: Clean and equipped with plastic bath/shower (good water flow), single sink vanity (two sinks would be a nice touch) and bathrobes. Better lighting than provided (2 40 watt chandelier bulbs) would help and I would presume that the local power company would be eager to provide LED lights. Also, taking two feet of space from the bed area to expand the bathroom would allow more than one person to use the bathroom,

Breakfast (included in the room rate): Excellent. Sinfully good pastries, probably the best croissants I have ever had outside of Paris (they import the frozen dough from France), and a wide selection requires a lot of self-control. Hot and cold cereals, fresh fruit, homemade preserves, yogurt, juices (carton, not fresh squeezed), tea, coffee, hot chocolate every day. Each day, the chef prepares a different hot item (we had scrambled eggs, fritatta, and eggs Benedict) and all were good. From 2 PM on, there are cookies and sweets at the front desk and the hot beverages are available all the time in the dining area.

Pool: Across the parking lot and up some stairs. Heated to 80 degrees. It was a bit too cold during our stay to use.

Room Tip: All the rooms face the water but the view is somewhat better on the third, or top, floor.
1 Thank Alexander A
Trish04609, Manager at The Bayview, responded to this review, June 27, 2014
Thank you for the very complimentary and detailed review. It is helpful for us when our guests take the time to tell us what they would like to see and what they thought about The Bayview. Overall, what I consider to be the most important points are the basic points of any good hotel, motel or Inn anywhere. You answered yes to all of them, attentive staff, clean rooms and good food. On top of that you mentioned the spectacular views, guest room amenities and location, all positive too. Interior design and decorating are always subjective so our ideas and yours may not be the same, but if we offer a clean and welcoming environment then we are in agreement. As for the view and the croissants, I am with you totally. I think I could sit on a seaweed and barnacle covered rock and still be happy with that! Thank you again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
Kankakee, Illinois
Reviewed June 21, 2014

Rooms were the cleanest I've ever seen, large and comfortable with water view. Breakfast and Cookies were some of the best pastries I've had. Staff was friendly and available. Pool was clean and HEATED! You will have a great stay.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Trish04609, Manager at The Bayview, responded to this review, June 22, 2014
Thank you! I will tell housekeeping what you said right away! They work very hard to make sure the rooms are just right for all of our guests. (Wish they would come and clean my house!) I agree with everything you said and we all appreciate the high praise. Please return again some day, the pool is calling your name! (Helps burn off the pastries too!) Thank you very much!
illinois
Reviewed June 20, 2014 via mobile

All the positive reviews are true. Clean, homey environment with great views. Fabulous breakfast. If you have kids looking for lots of activity, look elsewhere. Otherwise---stay here! Very close to dining and Acadia National Park, but private and quiet. Pool was clean and warm.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank raspberrytea
Trish04609, Manager at The Bayview, responded to this review, June 22, 2014
Thank you! I was going to say thank you for stating that there is truth in the advertising BUT our TripAdvisor reviews are written by our happy (and sometimes not so happy!) guests and that speaks volumes. We have had families that were disappointed by the lack of children's activities on site so we explain Acadia is our playground! We are proud of our hill top pool, rocky coast of Maine shore front, and cookies every day at 2pm!! Who couldn't love that? Thank you for helping us let people know that it is peaceful and quiet and more importantly, thank you for staying with us! Please come back again!
San Francisco, California
Reviewed June 16, 2014

The Bayview is an outstanding hotel in Bar Harbor. The rooms are large and we had a private deck with an ocean view. Perhaps the best part about the Bayview is the service. They have a hotel car that they will use to drive you into Bar Harbor, which we took ample advantage for dinner in town. I travel extensively for business and stay in lots of hotels. The breakfast is excellent, and they had Kreuig coffee & ample teas stocked in our rooms. Overall, the Bayview is excellent and the service completes with some of the best high end hotels in the world. If you are traveling to Bar Harbor, I'd strongly suggest you stay here.

Trish04609, Manager at The Bayview, responded to this review, June 20, 2014
Thank you so much for the great review. The word "outstanding" is a tough act to follow but we certainly do try. I think you, like so many of our repeat guests really feel that service is our hallmark. Breakfast is more like a meet and greet than a hotel dining room, everyone walks out with a smile! Maybe you will become one of the repeats and trust me, we will treat you the same every time! I agree totally about the shuttle service. It is so much more relaxing and enjoyable when you can be looking at the scenery instead of searching for parking. Thank you again and please come back!
Reviewed June 15, 2014

This was our 11th season in a row to stay here , started by staying for 3 nights and lately we stay for 7 days and each year it gets better . The staff is always very friendly and the breakfast and cookies is second to none. This trip is one we look forward to begin our summer and always leave with good memories.

Room Tip: We stay with another couple in the town houses and you will not be disappointed ..
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Trish04609, Manager at The Bayview, responded to this review, June 20, 2014
Ah ha!! Eleven years you have put up with us, how wonderful and we all still look so young! Must be those 2pm cookies! This is one of those reviews that I can actually figure out who wrote it and I thank you! Seeing the four of you year after year, surrounded by many more returning faces, is truly a rite of Spring! Thank you for coming back each year. I hope we never disappoint and that your yearly visits continue for many years to come. See you in 2015!
Houston, Texas, United States
Reviewed June 11, 2014

We just got home from our trip to Maine and Canada. We started at the Bayview which started a great tone for our trip. This is our second visit to the Bayview and again our stay was outstanding. They have a breakfast that is to die for. Our room was perfect, the bartender, Harry, was a delight, and the staff couldn't do enough to make our stay enjoyable. The Bayview is situated close to the main area of Bar Harbor with a beautiful view of the water. I highly recommend staying here if you ever come to Bar Harbor.

1 Thank Mary F
Trish04609, Manager at The Bayview, responded to this review, June 12, 2014
Thank you for coming back to see us again! Sometimes the memories of a trip are very grand and our expectations become really high (at least in my mind) when I go back. I am so glad that this second trip was as good as the first! That breakfast is so tempting seven days a week! I agree it is to die for. Harry is wonderful, keeps us smiling and the guests love to chat it up with him! Thank you for the terrific review and I we hope to see you again...they say the third time is the charm!!!
Portland, Maine
Reviewed June 8, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I were in Bar Harbor for a Friday night and Saturday night stay due to some friends getting married. Several other friends booked elsewhere and were so jealous at our room and amenities that we received for the rate that we paid. The rate is reasonable considering a free breakfast, all rooms are ocean views, and they are good size. The closer you get to town, the more expensive the rooms and the smaller, with no extras.
All employees were friendly, welcoming, and helpful. Their breakfast in the morning is continental with one hot dish as a "special." We enjoyed 2 different types of frittata one day and eggs Benedict the next. Both were delicious. All the pastries are made on site and the chef will often come out to see how your meal was.
Our room was spotless, with fresh linens and a beautiful balcony. The entire hotel is quiet and peaceful. I spent several hours on the balcony reading one morning and it was heaven! The rooms are very large and include a small dorm fridge, microwave, and a Keurig! We didn't watch TV but flat screens in each room with cable are available. Complimentary daily newspaper is available each morning at breakfast.
In terms of the travel to and from downtown Bar Harbor, it is 5 minutes drive at most, easily could bike to and from as well. The hotel also has a free shuttle service that will drop you off and pick you up!
Can't say enough good things about our experience here. Oh, and definitely try the homemade cookies at the front desk each day!

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Heather F
Trish04609, Manager at The Bayview, responded to this review, June 12, 2014
I always get nervous when people say we are the best place because there are so many wonderful places to stay in Bar Harbor. I am so pleased that you found us and that we were just what you were looking for. Many times when I respond to reviews I try to point out just how great everyone here is, how delicious the food is and how beautiful the view is. You told it from your perspective and that in itself is worth ten of my responses. I also like your five minute drive “at most” description of our distance to town, that statement speaks volumes over my “about a mile, sidewalk all the way”! Thank you for sharing your positive comments on TripAdvisor and thank you for staying with us. I hope you will return someday to sit on the balcony and read some more!