WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of The Bayview

The Bayview
Ranked #1 of 41 Hotels in Bar Harbor
Scarborough, Maine
“Great service, quiet, beautiful views”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013

We stayed at the Bayview in October for my birthday. It was a milestone birthday, and when we were led to our room, I opened the door to find a bottle of bubbly chilling, a birthday cake, and a vase full of red roses. My husband (who never does our travel planning) had arranged it all with the help of the staff at the Bayview. And I have to say, the cake was the best I've ever had, so the staff certainly knows the local bakers well!

You simply have to ask at the Bayview and you shall receive. From plates and silverware for our cake, to the on-demand shuttle into town (which works very well and makes it easy to go in and out of town), everything is taken care of. The room decor is very simple, so don't expect something super luxurious. It's the private balcony with its views, the quiet atmosphere, and the service (you don't have to worry about a thing because they've taken care of it all) that makes this place special.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank okigirl1
Trish04609, Manager at The Bayview, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Thank you so much for the lovely review. It is a great for us to know that people do appreciate the extra touches we try to give and understand how important your vacation is to us. Perhaps we have a mutual admiration society going on here because we were all very impressed with your husband's advance planning too! I think you described us perfectly and we are all pleased that your milestone birthday was such a success! Please come back again when you want to celebrate, a happy occasion is always fun AND we would love to see what your husband comes up with next time! Thank you again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

The free shuttle was great as were the breakfasts. Our suite was well-appointed and (almost) bigger than our house...it's located on a busy street, so walking into town isn't so easy (see the free shuttle), but that also means it's quiet and restful.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank mccambjd
Trish04609, Manager at The Bayview, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Thank you! As a local I think the location is great too! I live downtown and really appreciate the peacefulness of being here on the water. The shuttle is always a hit, and I think our drivers are all so helpful and friendly. As for the food, I agree with you. I have always heard that breakfast is the most important meal of the day and we know we start our guests out right! I think you must have stayed in a townhouse and they are very large. I like the fact that everyone can stay together but there is always a spot you can go to and get away! Thank you again and please come back in the future!
Zionsville, Indiana, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

We had a terrific experience staying at the Bayview. The townhouse was perfect for my family with 2 young kids. We enjoyed all of the extra room and having a washer and dryer and full kitchen was quite handy. The shuttle was a great plus! We always had someone willing and ready to drive us to downtown. Al even drove me to the starting line of the MDI marathon at 7AM, which allowed my family to sleep in and catch up with me at the finish line.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Allison W
Trish04609, Manager at The Bayview, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Thank you! We give you the credit for running in the Marathon, driving you down was a pleasure for Al. He and I had intended to do the half marathon but obviously that didn't happen! I totally agree with you about the town homes, they are great for families traveling that need the extra space and convenience of a home away from home . We all hope you return next year and run the marathon again too. It is a wonderful event at the perfect time of year. We really appreciate the lovely review!
Edinburgh, Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2012

My wife & I stayed here for a couple of nights in Sept 2012. We had a king room which was spacious, well fiurnished and had good sea views. Hotel is about a 25 minute walk from the centre of Bar Harbor, so a pleasant walk, or alternatively the hotel runs an on demand shuttle to & from town. Staff are very friendly and helpful and breakfasts are good. We would certainly stay here again if in Bar Harbor.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Alastair_8
Trish04609, Manager at The Bayview, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Thank you for your great review. I am so pleased you said it was an enjoyable walk into town. I think it is a beautiful walk, not crowded and a pleasant interlude between our peace and quiet and the hustle and bustle of downtown. Regarding our friendly and helpful staff; I can honestly say we all enjoy what we do, even the Chef (I personally do not enjoy cooking so that always amazes me) likes what she does! Please come stay again, we would welcome you back any day!
North Canton, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012

We stayed here for a night in October and I was very sad that it was only for a night! Such a lovely hotel! The views are amazing and really cannot be beat and the rooms are simply charming! I loved the touch of the flowers in the bathrooms, so sweet!

When enjoying the balcony when getting to the room I even got treated to watching a family of deer frolic about 5 feet in front of our room, while we do have deer at home, nature is always beautiful, no matter the location. However on the oceanfront is even better ;) It was such a great way to welcome us to our stay!

Breakfast was another amazing treat, I was amazed by the delicious spread and felt the need to try a taste of everything and was sad when I got too full to try more! Delicious!

The location is perfect and just a hop from Bar Harbor.

The only downside was no elevators (that we knew of?) so we had to drag our suitcases down the stairs and back up. Not a big deal at all and I'm sure there was a bellhop that could have done for us but oh well!

I hope to visit again someday!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank c0reyann
Trish04609, Manager at The Bayview, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Thank you! It's funny you talked about the deer. I pulled in this morning and there were three of them standing in the driveway! It is nice in the early morning to see them strolling the grounds. I am pleased you had such a nice time and wish you could have stayed more than one night too! I will pass along the kudos to the chef on breakfast . You are right, we have no elevator but we have bellmen and I wish we had helped you. That is one thing we want all of our guests to know, if you need anything just ask! Thank you again and please do come back !
Madison, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012

In late July my BF and I spent several nights at the Bayview.

Room: We had a king size bed in a large room. The room was very clean and had a WONDERFUL balcony overlooking the bay. We spent hours sitting on the balcony relaxing after a good hike.

Location: the Bayview is just outside of the center of Bar Harbor. It is easy to find and the hotel provides a free shuttle so you can avoid parking in downtown Bar Harbor. Parking in Bar Harbor can be hard to find in July & August.

Customer Service: the staff is incredible at the Bayview. Friendly and professional the staff provided so much information and assistance that I frequently went to them for questions. NOTE: I'm not usually that type of traveler - I usually find all the information I need about a place online and via guide books; I combined my research with the staff recommendations and the staff was spot on. Examples of great customer service: Bayview provided the car service immediately upon request for dinner as well as activities (we booked a sunset kayak trip). Bayview staff staff provided multiple dinner recommendations that were very good, including recommendations for late dinners. Bayview cleaning staff did an excellent job cleaning our room AND were VERY accommodating when we did our afternoon siestas (after hiking we wanted to shower and relax before the next excursion).

Breakfast: Breakfast had its high points and low points. Overall the food is average. There are many options for breakfast, but it was inconsistent. One day the food would be amazing, the next just so-so. The choices for breakfast are good: everyday there were hot items such as bacon, sausage, eggs, quiche; cold items such as creme with berries; and baked good such as home made Maine blue berry muffins, corn muffins, etc. Plenty of juices, teas, and coffee (I don't drink coffee). Get there early to have more choices and sit out on the balcony overlooking the bay.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank HappyHikerGirl
Trish04609, Manager at The Bayview, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Thank you very much for the great review. I love the balconies too! We added them on almost 20 years after the hotel was built and what a difference they make! So close to the water, so peaceful and quiet, so relaxing! It is great that with all your activities you were still able to find the time and relax! I also appreciate your comments on the staff. We try to treat our guests the way we would want to be treated and realize that being helpful and pleasant makes a great vacation and work environment for everyone! A true win/win situation. I also appreciate your feedback on the breakfast. We know the importance of consistency and I have no doubt that the staff will make it happen! Thank you for staying with us and we hope you will come back again!
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2012

*****Our four (4) day stay at "The Bayview" was a definite five (5) star***** experience. The entire staff was very friendly, attentive, helpful and outgoing. The breakfast was awesome and the head Chef and her staff were extremely friendly and accomodating. The front desk staff and hotel drivers were also very friendly further contributing to our awesome expirience at the "Bayview Hotel" during our visit to Bar Harbour Maine. The room was very clean, comfortable and the view of the Bay was a plus. We will definitely be visiting Maine again and our lodging will be at "The Bayview", in that, it was worth every penny*****

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Trish04609, Manager at The Bayview, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Thank you very much for the lovely review! It certainly speaks volumes about your experience and each one of our staff will be very pleased when they read it. I find that the more years I do this, the more difficult it can be to please everyone. We all know that is a daunting, if not impossible,task for all! We feel very lucky to have the staff that we do and even luckier to have guests that appreciate it and take the time to write about it! We look forward to seeing you again!