“Practically perfect in every way”
Review of Bass Cottage Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bar Harbor
Bass Cottage Inn
Ranked #7 of 30 Bar Harbor B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“Practically perfect in every way”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

This is a glorious inn, tucked away in a quiet nook only one short block away from the teeming Bar Harbor hordes.

The inn has been -- obviously lovingly -- restored. It's light, bright and airy, with several common rooms, an enclosed porch-type area and an elegant breakfast room with white table cloths and separate tables (thank you).

If you are a foodie, locavore or just love wonderful food, the breakfasts will impress you. The place is pricey, but just consider the breakfast (+ coffee and juice) and deduct $50 for what such fare would have cost you (two people) ordering it in a" restaurant (including tip). There are home-baked snacks, fresh fruit and soft drinks available 24/7. There's excellent wine and cheese in the early evening (deduct another $15 -- 20).

We did have a problem with our room which was beyond the control of the hosts. They took it seriously, they addressed it, and they compensated us. Although it was taken care of, I mention it in this review for a reason: it's one thing to provide great accommodations, food and ambience. But I think you can really tell the quality of a place by how they handle the inevitable problems and conflicts that do arise. The BCI addressed our issue swiftly, fairly and without a fuss.

Our room, #6, was smaller than what I had wanted, but that is the only room that was available for our dates. Still: the upscale, generous amenities (L'Occitane); the comfy, fresh linens and robes; bath tub tray table; the complimentary 2 ounce bottles of artisan olive oil and vinegar; the bottle of pinot noir (not complimentary) -- all made it feel like a pamper.

Hosts are adaptable to the desire of guests to socialize or not. Lets face it: some B&B guests like to Kumbaya and others (like us) enjoy privacy. A good B&B experience for me is: leave me alone unless I need you. And when we needed the Bass Cottage people, they were there for requests large and small.

Much has been written in TripAdvisor about the infamous Room 6. IMO, this is a size room for if you're leaving early in the morning and spending the days and evenings out. There's a bed and one chair. More than one person cannot hang out and completely relax in this room. Of course, if you're happy spending time in the common rooms, it should work for you. Still, when I return, if I can't get a larger room, I would definitely stay at Bass Cottage. (In fact, I might even plan my trip dates around their availability.)

One possible drawback of Room 6 I should mention -- and it wasn't a problem for me -- is that the blinds are light colored and a hazy light shines into the room in the morning. I love waking up this way, but if you like to sleep late and the light disturbs you, you might bring a night mask -- or maybe another room has darker blinds.

Light blinds notwithstanding: Bass Cottage Inn is up there on the short list of the best B&B/inns I have stayed in.

[For picnic sandwiches for your day in Acadia, your best bet is the supermarket on Cottage Street. Made fresh every morning, the sandwiches there were much better than what we got the first day at the local deli. The best restaurants seem to be on the fringes of the touristic area. We ate at Mache, which was amazing beyond belief.]

Room Tip: Try to get a room that's large enough. But if you can't stay at BC anyway.
1 Thank Travel_LadyNYC
BassCottage, Owner at Bass Cottage Inn, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Thanks to these guests from New York for visiting us and for taking the time to share their experiences with other potential guests. We're very happy the enjoyed the food, ambiance and all the amenities we offer.

These folks visited during the recent heatwave when we endured temperatures not usual for coastal Maine. As 'luck' would have it, one of our A/C compressors failed. However, we acted quickly to ensure guest comfort by placing portable A/C units in affected rooms and, the next day, installing an entirely new A/C compressor. We are very grateful these guests recognized our commitment to service in the speed of our response to this problem.

We do hope to see them again when they visit Bar Harbor. Thanks for your review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Shelburne, VT
Reviewed July 20, 2013

We received a gift certificate to Bass Cottage Inn for a Christmas gift. It makes an amazing gift! We loved every aspect of Bass Cottage Inn, from the warm welcome and history of the Inn we received upon our arrival, to the gorgeously renovated 1880's building and rooms, to the cookies, coffee and cold drinks available 24 hours a day. There was a pitcher of cold water and Lake Champlain Chocolates in the room and an incredibly lovely and delicious breakfast each morning. We appreciated the warmth and friendliness of staff, as well as that of the other guests we met during the daily gathering for a pre-dinner glass of wine. Wish we could have stayed longer. Our every wish was fulfilled.

Room Tip: We found room 6, with the victorian claw foot tub and Queen sized bed to be just perfect!
1 Thank NormanSturtevant
BassCottage, Owner at Bass Cottage Inn, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Thanks for sharing your get away experiences here at The Bass Cottage Inn. We also enjoy hosting our evening wine hour.... a great chance to meet others or simply a time to find a cozy corner and relax before heading out for dinner. We hope to see you again next year!
Richmond
Reviewed July 20, 2013

We were traveling with another couple (neither of us had ever been to Maine before) and Bar Harbor and the Bass Cottage Inn was our first of three stops in our Maine adventure. I found BCI on TripAdvisor and was thrilled with the reviews...however, I was even MORE thrilled once I had been there for myself. Jeff and Teri provide top notch service to their guests. After a tough start at the Boston airport, we didn't arrive until 11:15 pm and Jeff was there to great us and make us feel welcome. We stayed in room 10 and had the entire top floor to ourselves...it's a few steps to get there, but worth it once you do.
Breakfast consisted of several choices each day... between the 4 of us, we tried them all!! There was an evening snack, with wine, as we came back after a day of exploring, which was a special treat also. Along with the sweets and coffee that are out throughout the day, you should never be hungry.
You can tell that Jeff & Teri know what they're doing. This was the BEST way to start our vacation.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank txtripletrouble
BassCottage, Owner at Bass Cottage Inn, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Sometimes during summer travel the weather can alter travel plans and give guests an unplanned late arrival. We can appreciate the frustration! Been there, done that!

Guests who arrive tired and hassled from their trip deserve a warn, personal welcome and they get one from us at The Bass Cottage Inn no matter what. We just don't think it's welcoming to our guests to leave a key and note in an envelope as many other inns do. Thanks for your review!
Saint Charles, Missouri
Reviewed July 19, 2013

We have stayed at several B&Bs and have found each one unique and interesting. The Bass Cottage Inn is a very well renovated place. The airy, open layout on the main floor is very inviting and can be difficult to find in a building from an earlier time period. The inn has all the modern conveniences in a very elegant setting. Our room was very clean, and well furnished. The décor was clean and tasteful - from the muted colors on the walls to the white and chrome finishes in the bathroom. No heavy, outdated Victorian décor here.

Everyone working at the inn was very helpful and kind. We had excellent services, especially at breakfast! The breakfasts were wonderful, and several options were always available. The baked goods were all delicious, and the meals were hearty. We often found we needed just a small (late) lunch after the large breakfast. That is exactly what we wanted, as we were out and about busy all day anyway.

As for the little extras, this inn provided many! There were soft drinks, water, tea, and coffee available at any time in the pantry, along with a fresh baked treat. There is a dvd collection, plenty of Maine guide books, Restaurant guides, games, novels, and newspapers. They even post the local sunrise/sunset and tide charts.

This was an excellent inn, and I would recommend to anyone.

BassCottage, Owner at Bass Cottage Inn, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
We so glad these fine folks from Missouri enjoyed their stay with us...especially noticing our abundant first floor common space. It IS rare that Victorian era home would have such grand spaces and that is one reason we worked to restore the building 10 years ago. Thanks for sharing!
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 18, 2013

My husband and I started our honeymoon at the beautiful B&B in Bar Harbor on a recommendation from a Frommer's Costal Maine guidebook and could not have been happier! To put things in perspective, we regularly stay at B&Bs while traveling as we prefer them to impersonal hotels, and the was by far our favorite B&B yet.

The Inn is perfectly located walking distance to everything, but just off the main drag so there was no street noise. It was also clean and tastefully decorated.

The room (#3) was spacious, beautiful, and provided enough privacy for any vacationing couple. The matress, sheets, and pillow were to die for. I keep telling my husband that when we purchase a new home and have to furnish our room, I will be sending an email to the owners asking what is provided at the Inn so I can replicate it exactly - that is how amazingly comfortable it was.

The food was also amazing. For breakfast, there is fresh juice and a fresh baked good to begin (the maple oat scones were the best I've ever had even though I don't usually like anything with maple - and I know my scones), followed by the choice of a savory, sweet, or healthy option which was nice because sometimes B&Bs have only one option. Additionally, there are always homemade baked goods in the pantry and a snack with complimentary wine in the evening.

The owner, Jeff and Terry, are kind and personable. The same is true of their staff (we met Susan and Alexandra).

Bar Harbor may be a bit hard to get to, but the trip to Bass Cottage Inn made it truly worth the visit. We can't wait to visit again.

Room Tip: Room 3 was spacious and beautiful with a bathtub big enough to accomodate three people! The large si...
1 Thank Jami E
BassCottage, Owner at Bass Cottage Inn, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Heaven on earth! Wow! We are humbled by your praise and so glad you enjoyed your honeymoon at The Bass Cottage Inn. Thank you for sharing your experiences with other travelers...especially those considering honeymoon destinations. We hope to see you on an anniversary in the future.
Manassas, Virginia
Reviewed July 14, 2013

This was the most perfect vacation spot we've ever been to. I've said that in the past, but this was literally the best place I've stayed. This was the only place I've stayed where everything was absolutely perfect. The restoration of the property was outstanding. It had a look and feel of an inn from an earlier time, with all of the modern conveniences. The breakfasts were over the top. The rooms were top of the scale. The service was unparalleled. And the owners were some of the finest people we've ever met. On top of that, in the middle of busy Bar Harbor, we were surprised to find how quiet this place was; just 25 yards from the downtown and quiet as a church at night. We will be back.

Chappaqua, New York
Reviewed July 11, 2013

The previous reviews really say it all -- this is the quintessential B&B experience! I'd like to emphasize the exquisite renovation of this property -- everything from the woodwork, the mouldings, the floors -- was masterfully done. The décor is fresh, the colors soothing, and the antiques beautifully selected and displayed. The inn is immaculate. (This may say more about me than the inn but while I was checking in I looked at the stair treads that were at my eye level -- not a speck of dust!!!) Breakfast was delicious and Terri and Jeff are the perfect hosts.

All the best and continued success for many years to come!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank JRHLS
BassCottage, Owner at Bass Cottage Inn, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Many thanks for your stay with us and your very nice review. We teach our stay that guests fundamentally deserve 3 things: CLEAN, COMPLETE and FRIENDLY. We will share with our Housekeeping staff your comments about the clean, immaculate nature of the Inn. They will be very gratified. Cheers!