“Classic style, modern luxury”
Review of Bass Cottage Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bar Harbor
Bass Cottage Inn
Ranked #4 of 30 Bar Harbor B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 13, 2012

We spent three nights earlier this month at the Inn. i have to admit that my heart was in my throat while the proprietress showed us around the common rooms on the ground floor, as they had such classic styling that I half expected to find a couple of the "Little Women" sisters around each corner. However, the rooms themselves were a lovely combination of modern conveniences done in antique styling. We could not have been more comfortable in our room and the breakfasts were exquisite. The Inn serves dinner several nights per week and their dinner was the best of all the restaurants at which we ate during our stay. If your travels take you to Bar Harbor, I highly recommend that you stay in Bass Cottage Inn and that you eat dinner here one night. It will be a treat that you long remember.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Angelyn D

Reviewed July 9, 2012

This place is so good I don’t want to tell anyone about it for fear it will be full the next time I want come back.

I felt like I was wandering around my own big house in the morning and evening. The public rooms are many, spacious and beautifully decorated. I would wake up like clockwork around 4:15 a.m. every morning and go downstairs and sit with a cup of coffee and write in my travel journal.

When I first looked out my window, I saw rooftop and trees and thought it was an o.k. view. While lying in bed and waking up to a pink sky behind the tree line, it became wonderful.

The breakfasts are truly gourmet and stick to your ribs for a while. I wished I had of gotten to stay one more day because I would have tried the healthy platter with fruit, yogurt and homemade granola. One lady next to me ordered it and it looked absolutely delicious.

Did I mention the beds are pillow top? It is heavenly to sleep on. There are 4 pillows per bed – I love lots of pillows. A light comes on in the closet which I have always liked when trying to find clothes in the morning.

There is a guest refrigerator in the pantry area and you can request buckets of ice. They have Coke, Diet Coke and Sprite. Check out the great snacks!

The location for this B&B could not be any better!!! Step right outside and you are but a few steps from Main Street and numerous places to eat and shop and yes, kayaking offices are all close by because they are not located at the end of town they are in the middle of the action. The harbor is also just down the block.

JUST COULD NOT BE ANY BETTER.

I ate at 10 Tables one night and will post a review soon. Also, a great place to eat dinner.

My only irks are these: there is no road sign telling you where THE FIELD is. The road is next to a bank. My GPS found it but I still rely on road signs because my GPS had me lost twice in Maine. I went by it the first time as a result and had to circle around again through a huge crowd.

The other is the shower in room 6 is kind of small. I kept hitting the door with my elbows when washing my hair. Otherwise the bathroom is huge.

Something that might irk you was one could hear the staff in the kitchen and on the back porch around 7:00 a.m. It was of no concern to me since I was already up but if you are a late sleeper who likes dead quiet you might want to try another room (I was in #6).

You might want to ask them where the location of your would-be room is. I ‘think’ rooms 8 and 10 had an external entrance up a few flights. This might be a concern if you have lots of luggage or heavy luggage.

Whatever room you pick, you will not regret your decision.

Room Tip: ask about location of room if it might be a concern
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank HazelEyesFromTN
BassCottage, Owner at Bass Cottage Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2012

We are so happy the guest who wrote this carefully considered review gave us such high marks. She was with us for several days and got a chance to fully experience all that we do to help our guests enjoy themselves. A couple of comments based on this guest's observations:

1) our location is great -- centrally located but tucked in a quiet enclave off of Main St. near the harbor. So, we can be hard for some to find. That's why we provide a link to Directions (text and map) in an email that goes out to arriving guests 5 days before they check in. A GPS system works fine, but guests should also print out the directions if they are concerned.

2) Room 6 - this guest's room for her stay - is one of our most popular rooms and normally very quiet. However, on one day during the guest's stay one of our kitchen staff was having an emergency family phone call outside and, unfortunately, could be heard in the guest's room. Staff have been reminded that we provide a comfortable and QUIET environment for our guests. I don't expect further issues as our staff are very responsible and customer-focused.

Reviewed July 4, 2012 via mobile

We were so pleased with everything at the Inn. Room, food, staff, amenities were exceptional. Would stay tbere again.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank MelanieD63
Reviewed June 30, 2012

The innkeepers and staff at Bass Cottage are wonderful to their guest and included many little extras that make your stay special. The rooms are very nice and quiet. The location is great for Acadia National Park and the Bar Harbor area. The food (breakfast is included) is outstanding...always different and wonderful. I was sorry we were not able to eat at 10 Tables (their evening dinning room) because it was closed that night. I loved our stay there and would stay there again!

1  Thank MeepSugarGrove
Reviewed June 29, 2012

Three girlfriends and I stayed at Bass Cottage for 3 nights in June, and it was the perfect place for us. We each had separate rooms (5, 7, 8 & 9), so really appreciated the common areas where we could spend time together. We could meet on the sunporch for treats in the afternoon, or play Boggle in the library in the evening after dinner. The porch, library and lounge are in separate parts of the main floor, so we could take over one of the areas without feeling we were intruding on other guests' space. At the same time, the space flows so well it feels open, airy and inviting.

Every room had it's own charm, each tastefully and simply decorated. I was in room 7 and loved it. I enjoyed opening the windows at night and letting the breeze flow across the bed. This room is on the 3rd floor facing the street, but it was absolutely quiet at night, even with the windows open. The inn is located on a short road that only has 2 other B&B's on it, so anyone coming and going at night was usually walking from main street, and there was almost never any cars going by.

At breakfast, scones or other pastries were waiting on our table, and coffee and juice were served as soon as we sat down, so as we each came down we could enjoy a pastry and coffee while waiting until all 4 of us gathered to order our breakfast.

Not only would I love to visit Bass Cottage Inn again, I would like to move in!

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Ann H
Reviewed June 29, 2012

My wife and I stayed at Bass Cottage for 4 days last week and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The inn is wonderfully decorated, clean and a great location. The innkeepers (Jeff and Teri) are wonderful as well as their staff.

The breakfast is fantastic. We also ate at 10 Tables (their dining room) for dinner and it was absolutely delicious. Teri (host and executive chef) is extremely talented.

1  Thank Robert G
Reviewed June 29, 2012

Great attention to detail. Softest sheets, very comfortable bed, nice ambiance. A few steps from downtown in one direction, the path that follows the shore in the other

1  Thank kdrsofree