WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #18 of 41 Hotels in Bar Harbor
New York City, New York
“Clean and Comfortable”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2014

My husband and I enjoyed our stay here and we will return. Old world, clean, comfortable & charming with a refreshing swimming pool. The staff are all friendly and go out of their way to help you with just about anything - ASAP! They were amazing. This hotel is on the route of the free "Island Explorer bus" to downtown and Acadia (you catch a 2nd bus to go to Acadia.)

The rooms with the balconies have a magnificent view of the bay and the property is well kept. A previous reviewer indicated that the carpeting on the outside stairs was worn - it looks like they are in the process of fixing that (not something I cared about anyway.) The included continental breakfast is adequate and held us over until lunch time. I was very happy that they had yogurt! (There is breakfast - but no restaurant on premises.) The only negative was that the coffee in the room is horrible. In the lobby they offer coffee 24/7 which is nice but that wasn't much better. The "breakfast room" coffee is a little bit better - but still not good. I recommend that management upgrade the coffee - LOL :) Minor points I know - just an observation. I DO recommend this hotel for cleanliness, great staff and great views. Enjoy!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
1 Thank gram777
Joanne S, internet advertising at Atlantic Eyrie Lodge, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Hello,
Thank you for the terrific review. I noticed that you have 20 hotel reviews on Trip Advisor which makes us feel very good that you rated up so highly: " I DO recommend this hotel for cleanliness, great staff and great views". Even though the only issue you had was with the coffee, we do take note of this and will be contacting the manager to see if there are ways to improve on the inroom coffee as well as our hotel area coffee. There is nothing more satisfying than a good cup of coffee! That being said, I am going to pass on the high marks you gave our staff which is something we have always prided ourselves on - from the desk staff as well as housekeeping and maintenance. We feel fortunate that we have such reliable, great staff and love it when a guest makes note of this. Thanks again and I hope you enjoy your summer.
~Joanne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Schenectady, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2014

We stayed 3 nights at the hotel while touring Arcadia National Park and other special places..
The rooms were clean and comfortable,we really enjoyed having breakfast on the balcony.What we have done many times on our trips in Austria and Germany.The view was exceptional ,the service very good.We will come back and stay there again on our next trip to Maine. Hilde K

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Hilde,
Thank you for the lovely review that you posted. I forget that balconies aren't just for sitting and looking at the view! Breakfast on the balcony sounds wonderful. The best compliment is stating that when you come back to Maine you will stay with us again! I hope you enjoy the rest of the season. Thanks again, Joanne
Milford, Delaware
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2014

Stayed three nights at Atlantic Eyrie Lodge while touring Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park and Mount Desert Island. Our third floor room was exceptionally spacious, clean, comfortable and offered an excellent view from the balcony of Frenchman Bay. Of the many hotels we have stayed in this was one of the best views we have enjoyed. The property is well maintained. Front desk staff and house staff were most courteous and helpful. Spacious area for continental breakfast which was adequate. The free shuttle that comes to the front door beginning at 7:00 a.m until 10:00 p.m. makes a convenient way to visit downtown Bar Harbor without the hassle of finding parking.

Room Tip: Rooms on the upper floors offer a better view of Frenchman Bay.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Hello,
We are always happy to read a satisfied guest review. Thank you very much for taking time out of your day to post that positive review. It sounds like your three days were a nice experience from the staff to our spacious rooms with "an excellent view". We have been most fortunate with our summer weather, not too hot and usually a nice breeze. I hope you were able to go into Acadia and enjoy all that is offered there. Have a great rest of the summer (I can't believe it is August already) and we hope you come back again to stay with us. ~Joanne
Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2014

I chose this hotel based on the reviews from trip advisor and it did not disappoint. Every room has a beautiful view of the bay, comfortable large room and excellent staff. Breakfast was basic but all we needed to start out day. One of the best parts of the hotel is the free shuttle service to downtown Bar Harbor. We spent our days hiking and then in the evening hopped on the bus to spend time in BarHarbor. The shuttle ran every 15 minutes and it was so nice not to have to deal with traffic or parking (it is limited in BarHarbor) and the best part was it was free. We had read so much about heading to Cadillac Mountain for the sunrise but it was just as beautiful from or balcony! Highly recommend this hotel!

1 Thank Mary M
atlanticeyrie, internet advertising at Atlantic Eyrie Lodge, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Wow, what a great photo. Since I am not an early riser I'm not sure if it's the photo or the fact that you were up that early to take it that is most impressive to me! Thank you for complimenting our staff, we are so fortunate to have great staff from the front desk to housekeeping, to maintenance we have hard working good people and we will be sure to pass on your compliment to the manager. Glad you enjoyed the shuttle, it really is a great service for the island. My brother in law has been driving for them for many years and he says he meets some of the nicest folks. Thank you again for the positive review, I hope you have a terrific rest of the summer! ~Joanne
Greensburg, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2014

We spent four days here for a family reunion. The staff couldn't have been more accommodating to our family. The rooms were clean, well furnished and we had great views of the coast. The pool and grounds were clean and well maintained. A free shuttle into town was a wonderful extra. We would highly recommend this hotel.

Cleanliness
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
So nice to hear from some of the family reunion guests. It sounds like you all had a wonderful time together. Thank you for taking time to review our hotel in such a positive manner. I have yet to take the shuttle this year, it is such a great service for the area. Parking can be such a nightmare in town. We like our little hilltop location we out of the way of that traffic and a lot quieter, too. Hope you all get back here again, it is always a pleasure to have positive guests in the hotel! Thanks again. ~Joanne
north of Boston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2014

Just home from a family reunion held at the Atlantic Eyrie Lodge. It was the perfect place for us, and definitely met our requirements and exceeded our expectations.

I was in charge of this reunion, and found the Atlantic Eyrie on Trip Advisor over two years ago. All of my interactions with management were pleasant and professional, and it was clear that they welcomed our business and wanted to make us happy. Desk staff is friendly and helpful. The place is family-owned and not a chain, and although the property is not new, it is clear that they have made a commitment to maintenance and upkeep. Bathrooms were clean as a whistle and the towels were nice and fluffy (I hate skimpy towels!) Also, there are no automatic door closers on the doors, so you don't wake up early to the sound of room doors banging shut all over the place (my husband's pet peeve.) Peace and quiet abounded.

New pool and terrace and patio are nice for lounging, and the view is unparalleled.

I have done a lot of travelling and stayed in places that cost a lot more than this one and didn't please me half as much. It is a keeper!

Room Tip: Great views from Room 410!
      Rooms
1 Thank zopzing
What a lot of energy it takes to plan a family reunion, good for you! I've done a few of them and finally have realized that it all comes together no matter how much worrying I do! Your review was very detailed and I have to agree with you, those automatic door closers are so disruptive! The comment you made about the maintenance and upkeep was so nice to hear. We have been trying to do improvements winter after winter and we were so happy to get the pool done last year and redo the parking area, etc. this past winter. It is an ongoing project and we so appreciate your taking note of our staff's efforts! Hope you have a lovely summer and congrats on planning your reunion, I'm sure everyone was appreciative! ~Joanne
Dubuque, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2014

We spent 5 days in Bar Harbor for a family reunion. This hotel is off the beaten path but an excellent place to stay. The rooms were very clean, bed was great for my poor back, pool was wonderful, breakfast was more than adequate, staff super accommodating, and very peaceful.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Evelyn R
Hello,
What fun to have a family reunion on the island. We actually are due for one, just need to get that planning done. Glad you enjoyed the pool, accommodations, quiet location and we appreciate hearing that our staff was "super" accommodating. We are very proud to have so many returning staff each year and they truly are the backbone of our hotel. Thank you for taking the time to review The Eyrie and I hope you had a wonderful family reunion!
~Joanne