“Great views, clean room, comfortable bed; basic everything else”

Atlantic Eyrie Lodge
Ranked #16 of 41 Hotels in Bar Harbor
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Yep, the views are great, rooms are clean, and the beds are very comfortable (really soft cotton sheets). Being 2 minutes out of town and the evening fray, it is quiet.

The rest? Meh. Average scratchy towels. Average shampoo/soap. A motel-like feel with the doors of the rooms opening onto an outdoor hallway that looks out over the parking lot. Glad we were on the 3rd floor and not on the 1st or the sound of the shuttle bus that pulls up right next to the hotel to take guests into town every 15 minutes would have been very annoying early in the morning or late at night. And the pool? Heated, salt water? If you're a penguin, it might feel heated. For a human being expecting a heated pool? Nope.

The breakfast buffet is mediocre at best. Weak coffee, a plastic vat of pink yogurt that guest dip into (kind of unsanitary, no?), a plastic vat full of hard boiled eggs, mini-muffins...you get the picture. Then again, it comes with the price of the room and breakfast in town at supposed breakfast hot-spots like Jordan's isn't much better and expensive, so choose the lessor of both evils, I suppose.

Again, the views ARE great - and if that is what matters to you, you'll love it. But this hotel isn't glam by any stretch of the imagination. Friends of ours were staying down the road at the less expensive (!!) Bar Harbor Regency (a Holiday Inn), and it felt like a palace in comparison. Flowers everywhere, a glamorous (heated) pool setting with hot tub and a full-service bar, etc. AND it had great views, too. Had we known...we'd have stayed at the Regency in a heartbeat. Next time.

NOTE: At the time this review was written (August, 2013) Construction is going on at the property right next door Monday - Friday. Pile-driving machine starts at 7 AM sharp.

1  Thank Shira-NYC
atlanticeyrie, internet advertising at Atlantic Eyrie Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2013

Hello,
First off, let me say that I am very sorry you were disappointed in our hotel. We have been making improvements and renovating quite steadily on the interior of the hotel, our grounds, etc. We are an older family owned hotel, not a newer built chain hotel like the Holiday Inn. We are constantly upgrading in the off season and feel we have worked hard to improve and are proud of what we've done. I am sorry we aren't up to your standards. I'm glad you enjoyed the view and room at least which was nice of your to mention. Joanne

There are newer reviews for Atlantic Eyrie Lodge

Reviewed September 2, 2013

Indeed the rooms are spotless and spacious with beautiful panoramic views of the water - from the comfortable balcony of our 4th floor king room, we could see people crossing the sandbar to Bar Island at low tide, ocean bobbing with lobster trap floats, stretching to the horizon.

The room was quiet and equipped with a fridge, micro, and coffeemaker, a fresh, comfortable bed, and fat, thirsty towels. The elevator is not too slow, and there are covered stairs if you're in a hurry. The free shuttle to downtown Bar Harbor and the park stops at the hotel every 15-30 minutes, but it's an easy downhill walk of 1.5 miles into town - walking back isn't bad but there's more uphill. The complimentary breakfast is well stocked with plenty of the typical coffee-juice-breads-cereal-fruit, plus hard-boiled eggs, blueberry muffins, and french toast that when reheated in the toaster oven tasted just-made. The pool is sparkling clean; the grounds are meticulously maintained; staff is polite, helpful, and accessible but quietly in the background. Make sure to get the AAA/ AARP rate, which makes even the in-season rate a nice value.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms will not have views as spectacular, but all others will be full ocean-view.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
atlanticeyrie, Internet advertising at Atlantic Eyrie Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2013

Your review of the view off your balcony made me want to kick off my shoes and grab a cup of coffee and just relax out there. In the business of the high season, we who work on the island, tend to be so busy we forget what everyone visits here for - the amazing views, beautiful vistas and unspoiled landscapes in the Park - oh yes, and all the fun things to do. I am definitely going to grab that coffee and go relax on the balcony in the near future! Thank you for noting the grounds. Our grounds crew is fabulous and they are always making sure things are picture perfect so a compliment from a guest goes a long way and will be forwarded to Bruce, our manager to pass on to them, thanks! Take care, Joanne

Reviewed August 29, 2013

We just returned from a five-day trip with our daughter and son-in-law in August 2013 and we agree with all the wonderful reviews of the Atlantic Eyrie Lodge that others have written. Not only are the rooms large and comfortable, but the fourth-floor views of Frenchman's Bay from the floor to ceiling glass sliding door in the room and from the balcony are spectacular. We could see people walking on the bar to Bar Island at low tide.

The shuttle buses are very convenient, both to Bar Harbor and to Acadia National Park. They stop at the front door of the hotel. They are also free.

The breakfast bar was more extensive than a usual continental breakfast. The breakfast room has ample indoor and outdoor seating. The staff was friendly, helpful and accommodating.

The location of the hotel was very convenient to the National Park. Acadia National Park is spectacularly beautiful. We enjoyed a Ranger-led walk on top of Cadillac Mountain, ate fabulous popovers at the Jordan Pond House and went on two boat rides, one was on a lobster boat and one was into Somes Sound. Both were highlights of our trip.

It was easy to return to the Lodge from both Bar Harbor and from the Park. The location is convenient to both and just minutes away by shuttle or by car.

Room Tip: All rooms fact the ocean; the top floor has the best views.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Wow! What a lovely, well written review. I have to say, I don't know whether I appreciate the review more or admire the fact that you can see people on Bar Island, that is impressive vision! I love that you went to Jordan Pond House for popovers. I have been going there all my life and some of my favorite memories are when my grandmother (who is the grandmother of the owners of the Eyrie, my cousins!) took me there and I got to play grown up with tea and popovers served on the lawn. It sounds like you did some wonderful, fun things while on vacation. Thank you for the terrific review and happy autumn! ~Joanne

Reviewed August 28, 2013

Our room on the 4th floor was large and spotless, with a superior view of Bar Island. In the back of the hotel is a large pool, as well as a balcony (and other seating areas) where you can eat your meals. The free shuttle pickup/drop off is right in front of the hotel, and Acadia National park as well as the downtown area of Bar Harbor are within a short driving distance from the hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

To quote you, "Excellent overall" is what our entire staff strives for every day that we are working. We know that each vacationer has made special plans to visit our island and when they stay with us we try to make sure they are well taken care of. Very glad you enjoyed your room, view and vacation. Hope you have an excellent autumn and winter and if you are back in the area, we also hope you consider staying at the Eyrie again. ~Joanne

Reviewed August 28, 2013

We don't get to Bar Harbor very often but when we do we stay at this hotel. The views are magnificent, the staff is very friendly and helpful, and it is within walking distance to downtown Bar Harbor (it is hilly so the shuttle bus is a wonderful alternative to walking). Newly upgraded rooms and a new pool have been put in since our last visit. In the morning there is a good breakfast with something for everyone. We will stay here the next time we return to this area. It is a great jumping off spot for exploring Acadia National Park.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Hello, With 36 reviews on trip advisor, you are an experienced reviewer so that makes your continuing visits to our hotel even more special from the standpoint of guests looking to visit. I hope you had a chance to use the new pool. Thank you also, for noting that our staff is friendly and does a good job. Looking forward to your return visits. Sincerely, Joanne

Reviewed August 25, 2013

My family and I have been coming to Bar Harbor/Acadia National Park for the past 20 years. We have always stayed at the Atlantic Eyrie. It just continues to get better and better. This year they moved and upgraded the pool. They have a fantastic, generous breakfast and the staff is amazing and professional. This year my son and daughter in law have continued with our family tradition. They stayed for one week and loved every minute. The most cherished part of our stay for my husband and myself are the sunrises from your terrace and the views of Frenchman's Bay. That alone can cure what ails you! Can't wait for next summer....

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
atlanticeyrie, Internet advertising at Atlantic Eyrie Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2013

Hello,
I think the biggest compliment we can receive is repeat business and your family can speak with knowledge about everything we have been improving on and we appreciate that. If you come back next year you will see even more improvements, especially to the hallways and to the grounds. How nice that more of your family is joining in on the tradition of visiting our beautiful island. I agree with you wholeheartedly, there is something very special about getting up early in the morning, coffee in hand and an inspiring ocean view that goes on for miles. Thank you so much for staying with us so frequently and noticing what we've been working on. It is very much appreciated. Have a great autumn! ~Joanne

Reviewed August 24, 2013

My husband and I stayed August 14th - 21st in room # 308 facing out at Frenchmen Bay. The Atlantic Eyrie Lodge is a 5 star hotel in my opinion. When my husband opened the door to the room, you can't help yourself to say WOW!!! look at this room and the view we have for the week we are here. The two of us made full use of the room while we were there. Most mornings, we would bring our continental breakfast back to our room and eat it, because there was a cozy table for two in the room or on the balcony and watch the world go by. Also we would do that for dinner too. Did I mention a microwave and refridge. in room. The salt water pool was amazing to swim in which is new for 2013.(solar heated) They have an island explorer bus that picks you right up at the lobby to the village green in Bar Harbor. From the people that check you in to all the way to the grounds keepers are all very hard workers and they do it with a nice hello everyday they see you. Two of the days we stayed in the room all day, and the front desk call and asked if we were ok and did we need anything. How's that for service? From now on, we will always stay here when visiting Acadia National Park, Maine

Room Tip: 3rd or 4th floor facing Frenchmen Bay. My opinion, any room you get has some kind of view.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Now that was quite the complimentary review! It's my turn to say, "Wow!" and thank you very much. It's not often you hear someone say they were spoiled by a hotel and I will definitely pass on all the lovely comments to our manager to tell the staff. It makes our day when a guest realizes we do care about them, it isn't lip service at all for us. We know how much planning goes into our own vacations and how special we want them to be so we just treat our guests like we would like to be treated while traveling away from home! Thank you for noticing! Hope you consider staying with us when you are back on the island. ~Joanne