“Fabulous experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Acacia House Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bar Harbor
Acacia House Inn
Ranked #14 of 31 Bar Harbor B&B and Inns
Saint Charles, Illinois
“Fabulous experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

Anna greeted us when we arrived and gave us a brief but thorough overview of all the amenities and introduced us to Ralph, her husband. They even offered to help us unload our car and carry our luggage up to our room.
I was traveling with my 16 year old daughter for her birthday and we stayed in one of the rooms across the driveway, above the garage. It was perfect for us, lots of room and she had her own twin bed in a little nook in the corner. We also really appreciated the free wi-fi!
The inn is in a great location, off the main drag on a quiet side street. But still close enough to everything that we could walk everywhere we needed to go. With the island shuttle bus service you can get in a great vacation and see it all and never have to move your car.
We only had one night in Bar Harbor on this trip so we were trying to pack a lot into a very short time. Anna's recommendations and information were very helpful. Our breakfast on the porch Saturday morning was delicious and just enough fuel for us to do our hiking that day. If I had remembered, I would've ordered one of their box lunches for our car ride back to Portland as they looked delicious and if they were anything like the breakfast and snacks provided I'm sure they are great.
My only problems were of my own doing. I bought a bottle of wine to enjoy on the balcony outside our room but didn't pack an opener, but one of the other guests was gracious enough to loan me theirs. Also I prefer open windows over air conditioning so I slept with the windows open and other guests got up early to go see the sunrise on Cadillac Mt. and the sound of the crunching of the gravel drive under their tires woke me up. We had planned to also get up and do this but getting a tired teen out of bed at 4a.m. was beyond my powers of persuasion!
The rooms were very clean. The beds super comfortable. We had plenty of space to spread out and relax. I would definitely recommend this inn to anyone staying in Bar Harbor. Nothing pretentious, just good comfortable, clean, and friendly accommodations.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Beth O

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Rhode Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2013

My wife and I have changed our trips so that we can return to Acacia House. I was born and raised in the very touristy town of Newport, R.I., so Bar Harbor doesn't have the same fascination for me that it does for those who don't live by the sea. The hiking, however, is first rate. Anna will steer you in the right direction for trails that the "locals" know.
Acacia House has become a destination, rather than just a place to stay in Bar Harbor. I am surprised by the 'average' rated reviews . We have stayed in many B&B's and hotels, and If you are trying to make up your mind, I can assure you that Ralph and Anna have the very best place to stay! The breakfasts are superb, the atmosphere is great, the inn is situated away from the main drag (where the noise is) yet close enough to walk about town. The coffee is delicious, tea is always available, and I don't know how they keep those cookies away from the neighbors! These two hosts are terrific bakers and chefs. On our latest trip, we stopped at another B&B on our way home from Bar Harbor, highly rated on Trip Advisor, and were so disappointed. Ralph and Anna have raised the bar to a very high level, you won't be sorry if you stay here.

Room Tip: Room # 5 is a lovely king bed room on the top floor. There is no one above you, if creaky floors b...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RhodeIslandActor
Basking Ridge, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

So my favorite thing about this place is the owners. I only met Ralph, but he was so nice and their kids are really nice too. They had some good recommendations on places to eat and things to do and were always very helpful. Breakfast at the inn was wonderful. Really superb. I had a really fantastic omelet and the pancakes were delicious. And the breakfast area was so cute and bright and just happy. -I got a peak at their kitchen down the hallway and it's really, really nice! It was a great way to end our trip in Acadia. What I loved is that the place was almost at the corner of Cottage and High Street. And I love the all the places on Cottage Street. It's a little off the main tourist path. So because of that it's a little quieter. I stayed in one of the rooms above the garage, I think it's called the Cottage House? I think looking back I would have preferred one of the rooms in the main inn, if one had been available. The ones in the main inn looked a lot nicer with the hardwood floors. The ones in the Cottage House were ok. But I can't complain for the price we paid. -They remind me of places that you go when you want to ski or snowboard and you don't really care where you stay. It looked old and cheap rather than cute and quaint. But the bed was comfortable so no real complaints. -It'll be awesome if they ever do renovations in the rooms 7,8 and 9.

Room Tip: If you want a nicer room, like if you're going as a couple, go with the rooms in the main house...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

My daughter and I spent four days at Acacia House Inn. It's location cannot be beat and the accommodations are comfortable - like home. We stayed in the carriage house for three nights and spent our last night in room 1 in the house. Both rooms had their own unique qualities--although I preferred the carriage house because of it's location--room 1 is right off the kitchen and a bit awkward.
Breakfast was always a treat to include scones and muffins. I would definitely stay again!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Franklin, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

Only a few blocks from downtown this is the ideal place to stay. The home is beautiful, cozy and comfortable. Ralph & Anna are exceptional hosts. Ralph's baking is fantastic and something we looked forward to daily. We always had a choice of delicious items for breakfast - custom omelets special fruit pancakes or bagels and were never disappointed! Wonderful, warm and friendly they had excellent information and were so very helpful. We stayed in room 2 and the bed was amazing - so comfortable! Our stay was relaxing and very enjoyable. We would send all of our family and friends here. We were very impressed!

Room Tip: Room 2 has a comfortable bed, great pillows and a spacious bathroom. Loved it! Bright and cheery t...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ccubed42
Grand Haven, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

Perfect Location-Just a few minute walk to the downtown, but on a quiet street!
Perfect Room- We stayed on the main floor. Beautiful Shower and Tub. Very quiet, did not hear other residents coming or going!
Perfect Hosts- the breakfast's and snacks were awesome! Ralph and Anna were very helpful with advise and recommendations, but never intrusive!
This will be are stay of choice on a return visit

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Columbus
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

I recently stayed for a week in Acacia House, in both rooms 3 and 7. Room 3 is in the main house with a large bathroom and balcony. The room itself is small, with space for a queen bed, dresser and a small chair. But it is lovely, and the bed is very comfortable.

Room 7 is in the carriage house. It is shaded by trees so it is lovely for afternoon naps, and you don't get a lot of morning sun. However it is at the entrance to the carriage house, so you do get some noise as others pass by to their rooms. Room 7 is larger than room 3, with 2 lovely wing chairs in front of the window, perfect for reading or relaxing. The bed is also comfortable.

Both rooms had small TVs with cable, and hair dryers in the bathroom. Both were clean, and both were cleaned by the staff every day. I spent most of the week in room 7 and would have liked to have received a clean towel at some point. I re-used the towel I had, but I was often taking 2 shower per day because of the amount of activity I was doing. A second towel or a clean towel would have been welcome.

The Inn in general is very clean. There is a lovely sunroom where you can take breakfast, and it looked out on lots of blooming flowers.

Breakfasts - now, that is where the Inn shines! There is coffee, tea, granola and pastries available when you walk up. The pastries might be jam scones or warm chocolate croissants - homemade, and really outstanding! There is a small standing menu each day with one special, and it seemed like most people had the special. This included lemon-blueberry pancakes with rhubarb compote, eggs benedict, and things like that. The regular menu offers multiple types of pancakes and omelets, oatmeal, etc. After you order, they bring you a small cup of fruit, which was always fresh and perfectly ripe, such as berries, melon or homemade strawberry-rhubarb compote. You can get OJ or other juice with your breakfasts. They were universally excellent, and a good way to start the day.

Anna and Ralph, the owners, are very pleasant to chat with. The other guests often chatted with each other over breakfast, and I occasionally saw them in town and we would say hello.

In addition, you can order a carry out lunch for a hike etc. I got one one day - for $12 I got a very large turkey sandwich with thick white cheddar, lettuce, tomato and mayo, cut veggies, an apple, a large chocolate chip cookie, and a bottle of water. It was very tasty! You can also get egg salad, hummus, or more elaborate lunches.

The location was great. You are less than a block from the nearest restaurant, and 2 blocks from the heart of downtown. It was very convenient to be able to park the car at the Inn and walk downtown for dinner, whale watching, etc.

I would happily stay at Acacia House again.

Room Tip: Rooms in the carriage house are a little larger, but you will have to walk outside about 10 yards to...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo