“This is one of the best places in town”
Review of Fathom - CLOSED

Fathom
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Fathom is a casually refined restaurant located on the corner of Cottage, Bridge & Summer Streets in Bar Harbor, Maine. We use only the highest quality produce, fish and meats - many sourced locally or from specialty purveyors. Our bar is stocked with fine wine, spirits, Maine made beer, and hand crafted cocktails. Chef Brandon Sanders' authentic cuisine is infused with tradition yet energized by craft and creativity. Please join us for a memorable dining experience away from the hustle and bustle of downtown.
Boston, Massachusetts
“This is one of the best places in town”
Reviewed June 17, 2014 via mobile

I don't even want to review this restaurant because I am afraid I will not be able to get a dinner reservation. My husband and I both know how to cook (anything from BBQ to molecular gastronomy). I can tell you that the food here is prepared with great thought and care. The ingredients are creative, but not over the edge. The cocktails and wines are well thought out. They think about the sourcing of the ingredients - and what is reasonably available on MDI.

The crab cakes I had recently were the best I have ever had. I didn't know melt-in-your-mouth crab cakes were possible.

The menu changes constantly reflecting what is available.

• Visited June 2014

Yarmouth Port, Massachusetts
“Excellent Gourmet Repast”
Reviewed June 11, 2014

This food was so good, it was just unbelievable. Four of us at the table shared four different entrees, and there was not a negative thing to say.

Visited June 2014
Wallingford, United Kingdom
“Food good”
Reviewed June 4, 2014 via mobile

After much debate (and walking!) we opted for Fathom in response to reviews and a good look at the menu. My wife chose the lobster carbonara which, we both agreed (I was allowed a taste) was delicious.
I had the haddock which was well cooked and flavoursome. It was accompanied by fiddle heads (new to me) of which I I want more. Also with the fish was a pure which, I felt, was over 'chillied'. The heat of the chilli impaired delicacy of the fish.
I was not too happy with the service as it seemed a bit on the slow side. The seating was also a bit cramped.
My negative comments should not overrule the quality of the food however. I would revisit.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank OldSeagull
Maine
“One of best gourmet meals in Bar Harbor”
Reviewed June 2, 2014

We enjoyed a terrific meal at Fathom =- that said, please realize the menu is relatively small (8 entrees, 4 appetizers, etc), so be sure to check website for current menu before going to ensure there is a dish you might enjoy. the menu is changed periodically and is imaginative, but do check before going. The crabcakes, thankfully, are a fixture and are terrific. We had the scallop/'parisienne gnocchi' and the atlantic halibut with fiddleheads and a spicy carrot romesco dishes as entrees and found both to be beautifully presented and delicious - and an interesting combination of tastes. Wine list not as extensive as other Bar Harbor 'gourmet' restaurants, but adequate for us. As another reviewer said so appropriately, good food is an art and each of us has different tastes - we found the Fathom much to our taste.
The overall feeling is very relaxed and casual; waitstaff efficient and helpful; décor quiet with soft background music; parking easy next to restaurant, tho it is an easy walk from most places in Bar Harbor.
Unfortunately, we were too full for desert as the choices sounded delicious.
Again, be sure to check current menu before going - we have eaten at most ''gourmet" spots in Bar Harbor over the years, and think this was perhaps our best meal; but there is no question there are other spots that may offer a better menu at a given point of time.

• Visited June 2014
New York City, New York
“Delicious!”
Reviewed May 27, 2014

Delicious first meal in Bar Harbor! Its casual fine-dining and my husband and I didn't feel too out of place coming here in our travel clothes after travelling all afternoon. Service was pretty quick and friendly and food was delicious.

To start, we shared the special seafood soup which was wonderfully rich and creamy without being too heavy. Then came the crabcakes which were delicious and everything that a crabcake should be. Crispy on the outside, not too much filler, and a lovely remoulade on top. For entrees, my husband had the salmon, which he said was good, though he didn't love it as much as I absolutely loved my Lobster Carbonara. My carbonara was the best dish of the night. Rich creamy sauced fettuccine with a generous portion of perfectly cooked lobster, crisp summer peas and topped with a slow cooked egg. Just wow. Thinking about it makes my mouth water! It was a heavier dish and maybe a little much for hot weather, but I loved it just the same. I need to try to recreate that yumminess at home for sure (or at least find a spot in NYC that serves something like that!)

Wonderful restaurant for something different from the lobster shacks and pounds in Bar Harbor. Don't worry about it being too dressy, its not pretentious at all and definitely worth it for a nice sit down dinner in Bar Harbor!

Visited May 2014