“A Sublime Fusion of Flavors - Bravo!”
Review of Fathom - CLOSED

Fathom
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Fathom is a casually refined restaurant located on the corner of Cottage, Bridge & Summer Streets in Bar Harbor, Maine. We use only the highest quality produce, fish and meats - many sourced locally or from specialty purveyors. Our bar is stocked with fine wine, spirits, Maine made beer, and hand crafted cocktails. Chef Brandon Sanders' authentic cuisine is infused with tradition yet energized by craft and creativity. Please join us for a memorable dining experience away from the hustle and bustle of downtown.
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Some say Mache Bistro is the best in Bar Harbor (it is great, but somewhat overrated in my opinion), but I’d have to give top honors to Fathom. There’s just something about the fusion of flavors (in all the preparations I tasted) that can only be described as sublime. The Fathom chef is very accomplished – make no mistake about that!

Starting things out, the homemade anadama and focaccia swirl bread was simply delicious. The Lobster Fried Spring Roll appetizer had my taste buds jumping for joy. And my seared Chateaubriand filet with wild mushroom béarnaise was just about the best (and most tender) steak I’ve ever had, anywhere (and I’ve eaten at the best steakhouses, from New York to Vegas). Even the crispy kale that accompanied my meal was like eating a melt-in-your-mouth slice of heaven.

If you’re looking for the best of the best on Mount Desert Island/Bar Harbor, you’d be doing yourself a disservice if you didn’t add Fathom to the top of your "must visit" restaurant list.

2  Thank Spiritualized67

Reviewed October 19, 2013

Had a delightful and wonderful dinner with my lovely wife. We had the mussels, cosmos, lobster bisque, halibut wrapped in bacon with crabmeat and asparagus were fantastic. Would definitely go for a great dining experience. Make sure you make reservations.

Reviewed October 16, 2013

My wife and I have been here before, had a great experience and decide to go back. It is still very good. They were busy, as it was Columbus Day weekend, but we had a reservation and got a nice table. We order Saffron mussels and the soup as a first course: cooked just right, top notch! Unfortunately, the service was just too fast. We were still working on the appetizers, as the waitress was impatiently coming back to us, checking if we were done. Then she brought the main course, as soon as we finished. We had Grilled Salmon and Seared Duck Breast, which we shared for the main course. It was good, but not up to the level. Maybe because our expectations after the first course were too high? I would also like to mention a lot of good choices for cocktails. We'll be back.

Reviewed October 15, 2013

We were excited to go to the restaurant since it was ranked in the top ten on trip advisor. My companion had to send his pork loin dinner back because it was tough and dry. However, our first course which was the wild mushroom soup was excellent. The dessert menu was Uneventful and we opted to just get ice cream on the way back to the hotel. We were pre-warned by a taxi driver that the restaurant is very inconsistent.

1  Thank MWang
Reviewed October 8, 2013

We were just walking the street, looking for a nice place to eat dinner. Saw the sign "Fathom" and didn't even know if it was a restaurant. The place was cute and inviting. We asked to see a menu and it looked good so we asked for a table. We didn't have a reservation but they had one table by the door left and sat us. Wow! We lucked out! The food was really out of this world and worth the price. Our appetizers - scallop/prosciutto skewers and pear and beet salad were delicious. The cioppino was out of this world and the pork loin with wild mushrooms was tender, juicy and full of flavor. We highly recommend this place if you can get a reservation. It seemed to be quite popular with the local crowd!