“Fun for novice birders”

Down East Birdwatching and Nature Tours
Ranked #21 of 44 Tours in Bar Harbor
More attraction details
Owner description: Offering Personalized Birdwatching and Ecology Field Trips around Bar Harbor & the Coastal Gulf of Maine since 1993.
Arlington, Massachusetts
5 attraction reviews
“Fun for novice birders”
Reviewed March 15, 2014

I had never gone birding before. Michael is extremely knowledgeable and knows the area well and where to find the birds. I would do this again.

Lexington, Massachusetts
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A wonderful time with a knowledgable guide.”
Reviewed March 14, 2014

This past summer, my son and I spent a morning with Michael bird watching in the Bar Harbor woods. We were staying in a small, cozy bed and breakfast which arranged the trip. My son is young and had recently taken an interest in bird watching, so it seemed like a perfect opportunity to explore the birds in one of the most beautiful places in the country.

Michael was a fantastic tour guide. Clearly, extremely knowledgeable on the topic. We had a great time. My son enjoyed the experience and it was one of the highlights of the summer for him. It was obvious that Michael deeply cares about birds. This is not a hobby for him but a passion. It was oddly inspiring to meet someone so committed and focused on something that interests them. I am not likely to turn into a frequent bird watcher but it was a great way to see the surroundings and to introduce my son to bird watching. With a guide like Michael, I might be persuaded to try a trip or two every year.

Highly recommend this experience if you have kids or are simply looking to explore Maine.

1 Thank Anwiti B
Chicago, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Spectacular birding - once in a lifetime opportunity”
Reviewed March 12, 2014

My 12 year son and I toured the area with Michael in a spectacular experience of the local area and a wide array of birds. His expertise and energy are unmatched and seeing coastal and mountain birds of every sort was a real thrill. We learned so much and had an unparalled chance to really see things --esp. birds!--that would be invisible to the local tourist. His knowledge and energy are boundless. Absolutely recommend this one of a kind experience. An amazing highlight of our trip that we'll never forget.

Towson, Maryland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best Birthday Gift Ever for a Bird Nerd!”
Reviewed March 12, 2014

That's the truth! My wife and I spent the day with Michael in Sept. 2012 and thoroughly enjoyed his company, patience and years of experience rustling the shores, bogs, ponds and coastal tidewaters of the Bar Harbor area and beyond. You can tell he was born to do this. His keen eye misses little of the natural world. He is not a counter with a checklist. He is an observer. How refreshing to spend a day with someone more interested in his surroundings than he is with fancy equipment and endless lists of accomplishments. Not to miss is his office strewn with feathers, maps, seashore detritus, kiddie dioramas, you name it...a mega-dose of "show and tell".

Visited April 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“a private bird watching tour with Michael Good”
Reviewed March 12, 2014

Last fall (2013) I was fortunate to spend a morning bird watching with Michael. We had a private tour that proved to be very useful and a lot of fun. He knew where the choice locations were for both Passerine, birds of uplands and wetlands as well as shoreline birds. We saw a number of species that I would not have observed on my own, and proved to be most adept at identification of birds, especially sparrows, which were in migration at the time. Sometimes, he would take a telephoto image of the bird to assist in its identification.
Booking a tour with Mr. Good was a most worthwhile investment.

Visited October 2013