“Saturday bird walk was fun!”

The Natural History Center
Ranked #28 of 48 Tours in Bar Harbor
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The Natural History Center is a family-run business based in Bar Harbor, Maine, specializing in leading birding, nature, and adventure tours in the Acadia and Downeast region. Whether you are interested in learning about birds or adding to your life-list, learning to kayak or build on skills you already have, The Natural History Center has a staff of experts to help. Families with children of any age can go on tide-pool adventures. Go on a photo safari to capture birds or the hidden gems of the natural world. Take a scenic tour of Acadia National Park, learning about the history of the natural and cultural landscape. In the winter, cross-country skiing and snow-shoeing in Acadia National Park is an excellent activity (February is a particularly good month to plan winter activities). Join The Natural History Center for any of your favorite outdoor adventures. Tours are generally geared to small or private groups. All ages and abilities are welcome; they will customize the tour to fit your interests and needs. Tours are available year-round. Their personable staff are sure to add to your visit to the Acadia region of Maine.
Reviewed November 3, 2011

While in Bar Harbor this October, I went on one of the weekly Saturday morning bird walks offered by The Natural History Center. We had a lot of fun and saw a surprising number of birds. Rich, the tour guide, was very knowledgable, friendly and outgoing. All in all, it was a wonderful way to spend the Saturday morning :)

Reviewed October 22, 2011

Very nicely done. The people are very informative & friendly.

Reviewed September 19, 2011

This precious little store is full of all the items you need to learn about the natural history of Bar Harbor area.
As I wandered around the store I found wonderful gifts for all ages, from birdopoly to bird mobiles, organic store logo t-shirts to the funny Bird Geek t-shirts, bird, plant and flora guide books, jewelry, binoculars, walking sticks to cool original print art work. Every turn you take, you find something to ask about, touch or purchase. In discovery of visiting this store, I learned that the owner takes people on bird guiding tours which also include details about the history of Bar Harbor. Next time I visit I will definetly have to sign up for one.
The owner and manager were a delight to talk to and were sincerely passionate about their work and made each feel welcomed. Look forward to revisiting next time I'm in Bar Harbor.

2  Thank charlesbronson17
Reviewed August 18, 2011

Looking at the above reviews, it seems this tour is just for birdwatchers. I was travelling with my wife, and 11 year old son, and I have never been birdwatching nor have my wife or son. This tour was amazing.
Over the last trip through Acadia National Park, I wondered what I was seeing. I even bought Peterson's field guides to try to identify what I saw, with little success.
Walking through the park with Rich is like having every Peterson's guide as well as an Acadia historian with you. His knowledge of the area is amazing. Start your trip here, and you will know where to eat, shop, relax, and hike for the rest of your trip.
When you walk through, he can identify every bird, tree, rock, and animal you see or hear. He can identify tracks of animals that you don't see.
Despite having a biology major, and studying marine biology on this very island, Rich was able to teach me a lot.
He doesn't do this in a know it all manner. He answers any questions you have with ease, and if you don't have questions, he'll ask some of his own.
My son loved it, and he didn't feel like he was in school. My son can now identify 3 crab types, 3 algae types, 2 different types of snails, and several trees. We also saw sea stars, sea urchins, and fish, While many people have seen barnacles. I can say we have now SEEN barnacles. We've seen them open and feeding. My son now knows what "economic extinction" means.
My son can be somewhat difficult at times, and Rich was patient with him, and kept him entertained and on track.

Regarding price, it was very affordable. It's inexpensive enough, you may think it's per person, but the price is for the entire group. Rich brought everything we might need (water, coats, field guides, binoculars).

You can't go wrong with this tour. Rich is flexible and knowledgeable enough to adapt to whatever you need. Plan it early, so you can get ideas for the rest of your trip.

5  Thank Gene48212
Reviewed October 8, 2010

I am a twitcher from England and was able to book a morning bird tour with The Natural History Center. Now that I am retired, I travel the world over looking to twitch birds. Rich's knowledge and passion for the birds, which was quite catching, turned a grey day into one of the best outings I have had in some time. He knew his birds like nobody's business. A single chip was identified as an immature White-throated Sparrow. When he successfully spished the bird out, it was, indeed, as he said. A chunky drab bird was identified as a juvenile White-crowned Sparrow. And would you believe it, Rich was right on. By the end of our allotted time, Rich helped me add six species to my lifelist. Of all the bird guides I have had the pleasure of travelling with over the past two decades, Rich's knowledge ranks him in the top 10 per cent while his enthusiasm and ppassion certainly pushes him into the top few. Thanks for a wonderful tour, Rich! It was certainly among my favourites!

4  Thank dsm46