“Wish we had this eatery here at home!”
Review of Side Street cafe

Side Street cafe
Ranked #11 of 152 Restaurants in Bar Harbor
Cuisines: Pub
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed November 25, 2012

We ate at this cafe while on vacation in October. My husband chose a special which I believe was steak with a lobster curry sauce. So good. So tasty. He still talks about it. I wasn't so adventurous and had the black bean quesadillas. Our server, Flynn, took very good care of us and I highly recommend this restaurant.

We had no room for desert so the next day we went back for blueberry pie and ice cream. Thank you, Ashton, for serving us the best pie ever!!! And it was a pleasure visiting with you too! :)

Write a ReviewReviews (3,042)

Reviewed November 9, 2012

We ate here two days in a row in early November - partly because not much else was open, but also because the food was really good. The first night my husband had a burger and I had the black bean burger - both were yummy. We ordered the black bean quesadilla, but it never arrived. The server, while nice, was a bit absent, so by the time he realized our app was MIA, we had already eaten most of our entrees. To his credit, he did offer to bring it free of charge, but we were so full we declined. When the bill arrived, we noticed we were overcharged for our meal. We just paid it since it was only a few dollars. On the second visit, we again ordered the black bean quesadilla as an appetizer. It took so long to arrive we thought they forgot it again, but it was worth the wait. Absolutely delicious, and the fresh salsa accompanying it was the perfect complement. My husband tried the mac and cheese with chicken and said it was great. I had a veggie sandwich, also quite good. Service was slow but pleasant, and the place was very busy. When the bill came, we were again overcharged -this time for a beer we didn't order. We did have the waiter correct the tab that time. I was concerned that both times we visited, we were overcharged. The waiter cheerfully removed the erroneous charge, but it is suspect that it happened two out of two visits. I would definitely recommend Side Street Cafe, as the food is great and the atmosphere cozy, but advise to carefully check the bill.

1  Thank TX_TnE
Reviewed November 6, 2012

My experience at this restaurant was much different than many (but not all) reviewers. I attempted to eat here on Friday night and was told that there would be a long wait so I elected to eat elsewhere. I arrived a little earlier on Saturday night and was seated right away. The restaurant was full by 5:45.

After being seated and waiting for a long time, our waitress (Luka) appeared, took the drink order and ran down a list of things that they didn't have: fish, hot dogs, etc.

The drinks arrived and while the menu states that they can put lobster on anything, I found this not to be true. I ordered the lobster mac and cheese and was promptly told that they didn't have that either. I asked if they could just stir in lobster to the mac and cheese and without hesitation was told no. I ordered the lobster roll and pub fries with a buffalo chicken appetizer.

One of the the drink specials was a pitcher of margaritas for ten dollars. We thought, why not? Well when it arrived, it was in a mini pitcher that literally had enough for three small glasses. Our local Mexican restaurant has the same special for 9.99 and it is a full sized pitcher and they start you off with two full glasses; not the empty ones as Side Street does.

The appetizer arrived in a reasonable time and it was very good.

When the meal finally arrived, the pub fries were greasy hunks of potato that were warm but very mushy inside. I really tried to eat them but just couldn't; they were too greasy. The lobster roll had a very odd taste. Almost a metallic tinge to it. I have had lobster rolls up and down the coast for years, from nice restaurants to roadside stands and this one was unique. If someone has never tasted a real lobster roll, and this was their first, I would simply say try again elsewhere.

Once our food was delivered, our waitress vanished. She never came back to check on us and we finally flagged her down. She saw that I didn't eat the pub fries and asked if anything was wrong. I said that I was disappointed with the meal and that I just couldn't eat the fries. She left and a few minutes later the owner, I believe, came to the table. I explained that the food just didn't taste good. She told me that I should have told the waitress right away. I said that I gladly would have, if she would have every stopped by. With that, the owner turned away without a word and went away.

A few minutes later, the waitress returned and without a word slipped a clipboard down in front of me and walked away without a word. I looked and realized that the bill totaled zero and that the owner comped the meal.

I was surprised at this and gladly would have paid for what we ate; the appetizer was very good. We sat at the table a few minutes and were totally ignored so I left ten bucks on the clipboard and left.

Now what salvaged this rating from terrible to poor was that the owner came outside as we were leaving and apologized for the service and meal. She stated that she checked with the waitress and the waitress confirmed that she did not check with us after the food was served. The owner further explained that she was very upset that we were not satisfied with our meal and that she wanted everyone to have a good experience. She was very cordial and sincere, and I appreciated that. I have been involved in various aspects of restaurants, hospitality and customer service for over 30 years and I find it rare any more that an owner or manager would take the time to speak to a customer that wasn't satisfied.

I would rather pay for a good meal that get a bad one for free. This restaurant must be doing something right because it seems to be full. I think if I every come back, I'll get a hamburger; they looked good.

2  Thank diverdude2
Reviewed November 5, 2012

This is, apparently, where the locals eat, and I can see why! It's comfy, cozy and the food is just good down home comfort food. We had excellent (REALLY FRESH!) lobster rolls, a good plate of mac and cheese for our little one, and some nice drinks. A good spot to return to.

Reviewed November 4, 2012

This place is just wonderful! I had a burger here with mozz cheese, and it had pesto on it. I had never had pesto sauce before, so I asked for it on the side. I liked it, put it on my burger, and it was probably the best burger I've ever had! We were seated quickly, and our food came quickly too. There is a lot of outdoor seating, and plenty of seating indoors too. It's kind of hidden, but when you find it, you will not be disappointed!