“Breathtaking views and awesome experience !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

Acadia Park Kayak Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: The lowest prices, smallest groups, and most eco-friendly business practices on Mount Desert Island. Open group size is limited to either six or twelve people. Private groups can be any size. We offer sunrise, morning, day, sunset, night-time star gazing/bioluminescence, and private tours. We meet in Bar Harbor and give tours on both the east and west sides of Mount Desert Island. A portion of every tour's fee goes towards ocean conservation. All trips are led by a Registered Maine guide. No former kayaking experience is necessary and all required equipment is provided. We also provide upon request fleece jackets, rain jackets, wetsuit mittens, and fleece hats.. We are also the only outfitter that provides an option to crate your dog at our location while kayaking with us.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children, Lockers / storage
Cambridge, MA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Breathtaking views and awesome experience !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”
Reviewed August 24, 2009

We took the sunset tour as a part of our anniversary celebrations and we thoroughly enjoyed it. We were glad we did this tour. We started from the bridge street at around 5:00 P.M. and came back after the sunset. We kayaked to the neighhboring islands and the views during the trip were truely spectacular !!! Our guide (Brescian) was very friendly and helpful. He was patient with our questions and gave us enough time to explore the islands. Further, the kayak was very comfortable and easy to maneuver (unlike our earlier kayaking experience in Key West). We strongly recommend this tour (esp. sunset) at Acadia and even begginers can go for it.

2 Thank hpt102
acadiaparkkayaktours, Owner at Acadia Park Kayak Tours, responded to this review, July 23, 2010
Thank you for your review.

Wien
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Zero service”
Reviewed August 24, 2009

Read about them here, read the website, was pretty excited. Wrote an email to book (very late, but anyway), made some phone calls, left a voice mail, hotel tried to call them. They've NEVER answered my inquiries for a kayak trip. Maybe because the weather was good and the season high, but anyway, this company seems to exist only on a website and on Tripadvisor.

3 Thank Andreas.Rosent
This couple called me from their hotel and sent an email just hours before they wanted to go out on a tour.
I say on the website that it is ok to call the same day to see if there is space available but I also clearly state that I recommend making reservations a week or even two weeks in advance at the least.
These people called me from their hotel and left me just the name of the hotel they were staying at without any other contact information, even their name. I am not able to check my email until the end of the working day.
Their hotel never contacted me on their behalf.
I called their hotel twice but the hotel had no idea who they were.
They were never customers of mine and did not even begin the process of making a reservation with me.
I did answer their inquiries for a kayak trip by calling their hotel twice and by answering their email later that night.
I feel that this review is inappropriate and does not reflect any experience that they had with my business because they had none and that is due to their own omission of any information that might have allowed me to contact them that day.
NYC
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“The area is beautiful but the guide was boring”
Reviewed August 21, 2009

I looked at reviews and the website and thought this would be awesome. Well the kayaks were good, the camera covers were there, but there was no dialogue with this dude. He arrived late by an 30 mins and it took him another 30 to get all kayaks as he works by himself. When we were at the island dude was making calls etc and kept to himself. He showed us one Eagle nest and that was it. No lobster trap or picking one as mentioned on the website. It felts like I kayaked by myself. I asked for water a couple of times but he kept doing something else like checking the life jacket etc. Not sure if he was in a bad mood, but you know what I felt like I did not get my moneys worth.So you decide if you want someone who keeps to himself and yells out to keep up to some of us. This dude needs to be more cheerful. And make the tour exciting.

3 Thank NYC008
acadiaparkkayaktours, owner at Acadia Park Kayak Tours, responded to this review, August 22, 2009
I remember that trip and remember sensing that the NYC couple was dissatisfied. I am sorry that the person felt that the trip was boring. I am a sea kayak guide and not an entertainer. My primary job is to protect my clients and keep them safe and my secondary job is to answer their questions about the area and I do both of those jobs very well. I have spent entire trips relating information about the history and ecology of the area but I don't continuously talk at people unless they have questions and seemed interested.
This particular couple asked no questions and always paddled at a distance from me that would have made it difficult to talk to them. There was a family with them on the same trip that paddled near me and asked many questions and who had great trip and wrote a good review. These people were on the same trip but their experiences were different because of their expectations and how they chose to interact with me.

The water is in the deck bag in front of the person's seat and I am sure that is what I would have told him.

I do not try and entertain people when we stop on the islands. Most people are happy to be in such a natural and beautiful setting and appreciate what is around them and do not need to be entertained by me to be happy. I am always open and friendly to my guests and anyone is welcome to start a conversation with me or ask questions.
New Jersey
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Very Satistied”
Reviewed July 10, 2009

My husband and I put down deposit on a kayak tour with our credit card a week or so before we were to take a trip to Bar Harbor. Unfortunately we were unable to take the tour and canceled our reservation . Mr. Lander completely understood our situation and refunded our deposit with no problem. We were very disappointed that we weren't able to take the tour but we are looking forward to being able to do so in the future. We would not hesitate to do business with him again.

2 Thank bklyn1056
acadiaparkkayaktours, Owner at Acadia Park Kayak Tours, responded to this review, October 4, 2009
Singapore, Singapore
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Very enjoyable experience & very interesting guide”
Reviewed June 17, 2009

We started the kayak tour in the evening which starts at around 6pm & you return post sunset. It was a little early in the tourist season, & just one more kayak tour operator had a tour for that evening. The first we noticed though was whereas they had around 12 people in their tour, Brescian (Acadia Park Kayak Guide) had arranged for only 5 of us - he ensures the group is around 6 people to give more attention to all.

You either like the physical strain associated with 3 hrs of kayaking or you dont (though even that is over rated. Any healthy person can do it). But even if you do not enjoy the activity itself, kayaking around the porcupine islands amidst the lobster traps (the sea floor must be full of lobsters for so many traps to exist in a sustainable manner!) with views of Bar Harbor & the characteristic Acadia cliffs with sea water crashing upon them & ending with the brilliant sunset views is definitely worth the experience. We had a great time with Brescian who was very friendly & would def recommend you to make kayaking with Acadia Park Tours a part of your Bar Harbor itinerary.

3 Thank ivar_rs
acadiaparkkayaktours, owner at Acadia Park Kayak Tours, responded to this review, June 18, 2009