“will never go back”

Ben & Bill's Chocolate Emporium
Ranked #3 of 29 Shopping in Bar Harbor
Reviewed June 6, 2011

went here on the first day of our trip...ordered two small gelatos...delicious but cost almost $10...we figured, ok....it's bar harbor...we are on vacation, and it's homeade....it's worth it. went back last night, i got a cone with ice cream and my husband ordered the SAME EXACT thing as the first day...a small gelato with 2 flavors....the total for 2 was $14.95!!!!! when questioned, the kid at the counter said b/c my husband wanted 2 flavors he HAD to charge for 2 smalls!?!? are you kidding me? i've gotten ice cream all over the country and never heard of charging for TWO b/c you mixed 2 flavors. AND the girl who waited on us the first day didn't charge that. probably looked at us and figured he could rip off 2 "non locals". will never return.

1  Thank supermom74
There are newer reviews for Ben & Bill's Chocolate Emporium

Reviewed September 5, 2010

While a lot of people go in just for the ice cream, I would also recommend just walking through and checking out all the homemade candies and chocolates they offer which too many people just walk past as they look at the ice-cream menu. The ice cream is really good of course, but we had a lot of fun trying all the different truffles and fudges. They sell the truffles individually, which is great, because then you can put together an assortment of the different flavors you want and not get stuck having to buy a bunch of any one type. Also, the vintage lunchboxes and the general feel of the place is just kind of cool, and I would definitely say the best out of any of the ice-cream shops in Bar Harbor.

Reviewed August 23, 2010

The ice cream is awesome, with generous portions. It is pricey, but creamy & delicious. the long line moves quickly. You can get two flavors, which I recommend. Kids loved it! We ate here twice. Peppermint, chocolate mint, grand marnier chocolate, kahlua, Irish bailyes, cookies & cream were hits.

Reviewed July 13, 2010

Ok, I'm a local and have been going to Ben & Bills FOREVER but last night was interesting to me. The service was not good! They didn't speak English.............? What? I'm sorry but that was very disappointing to me! Luckily I always get the Black Raspberry on a sugar cone with chocolate jimmies but I felt really bad for the people who didn't know what they wanted. They were rushed to the end of the coolers right past the ice cream, I heard one lady wanting to know know what a certain product was and it took 3 employees to figure it out past the language berrier........what's wrong with this picture!
They are lucky I like the ice cream, otherwise I wouldn't recommend it to anyone! Sorry guys!

1  Thank MDI_Astcou
Reviewed July 7, 2010

If I were just rating the ice cream, it would be 5 stars hands down. But this place is a bit of an experience. The line out the door and doubling back through the store tells you it must be good. The only issue I really had here was them rushing you down the line... PAST all the ice cream. So if you are not looking through the ice cream as you are scurrying through... well... you're kinda up a creek. I finally snapped at the lady that was trying to move me down saying "did you want me to figure out the ice cream I wanted to order or should I just guess" --to which she quickly stopped her nonsense. Maybe I'm just used to Jeni's Homemade in Ohio where they will give you a sample of every flavor you ask for---with a smile no less--before you order. Again.. this was GREAT ice cream---just make sure you're ready to order!