“Breakfasts Extraordinaire!”

The Looking Glass Restaurant
Ranked #63 of 152 Restaurants in Bar Harbor
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Looking Glass highlights the best of Maine Cuisine by using locally grown meat and produce from our own garden and around the island. A consecutive winner of the Wine Spectator Award of Excellence, the Looking Glass highlights the best of Maine cuisine expertly prepared by our talented and award-winning culinary team. The Looking Glass was a previous winner of the “Best Breakfast with a View,” for all of Maine, by the editors at Yankee Magazine. Join us and find out why. We offer convenient and abundant parking. We hope you’ll visit us and enjoy our gorgeous view, deck and fire pit! Be prepared for a truly exceptional dining experience.
Reviewed May 16, 2014

The breakfast menu at this restaurant is superb. We ate here each of the four mornings we were in Bar Harbor, and we tried different selections. All were out-of-this-world delicious! The Maine Coast omelet had generous chunks of lobster meat, and combined with sweet red peppers and Gouda cheese it was by far the best omelet that I have ever experienced. I could just as easily describe the other options, such as four versions of Eggs Benedict, which are too complicated for me to attempt to make at home, but were real treats. The view from the restaurant is the most spectacular view in all of Bar Harbor, overlooking the town and Frenchman's Bay. The staff are knowledgeable and friendly; service is attentive and prompt. The portions for breakfast were generous; a piece of fruit was all we needed at lunch. We will definitely go here again on future trips to Bar Harbor!

2  Thank G00DToG0
hospitality04609, General Manager at The Looking Glass Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded November 17, 2014

Thank you very much for spending four mornings with us while you were here! That does give you a strong degree of expertise when it comes to reviewing our breakfast menu! I am very happy to hear how pleased you were with your meals and with the beautiful views from our restaurant. We look forward to having you back and once again thank you for choosing us.

Reviewed February 15, 2014

I ate here with my girlfriend for breakfast while staying at the Bluenose Inn. I had the best breakfast omelette. It was chopped up lobster, peppers, onions, and pepper jack cheese. Heavenly. I do not eat large meals, but I had to finish this beast. I recommend it.

1  Thank CrystalTechnique
hospitality04609, General Manager at The Looking Glass Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2014

Thank you for your excellent review of our lobster omelette. Stating that it was the best you have had truly says it all. Our Chef and his team take great pride in producing quality products whether it be a dinner entree, an exotic appetizer or a Maine lobster omelette,; they simply want it to be excellent. Come back and see us and have another.

Reviewed October 24, 2013

Upscale restaurant with excellent food. We had one lobster dinner and one steak dinner and both were excellent! Being Midwestern people, we're used to great steaks, but were a little surprised at the excellent quality and taste of the gorgonzola stuffed filet. It was absolutely delicious! The lobster dinner was every bit as good. A little pricey, but overall outstanding food! Would suggest going to dinner before sunset to be able to enjoy the panoramic view. We would go again!

1  Thank liketotravel101
hospitality04609, General Manager at The Looking Glass Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2014

Thank you for your comments regarding your dinner at the Looking Glass. I have spent quite a bit of time in the midwest and understand thoroughly your comment about great beef. Therefore your statement about how much you enjoyed the gorgonzola stuffed filet was even more profound.
Obviously we are happy that you enjoyed the lobster dinner as well. As you pointed out, the view from our restaurant is truly spectacular and frankly never gets old.
I do hope that when your travel brings you back to Maine that you will visit us Thank you again for your business..

Reviewed October 21, 2013

"The Looking Glass Restaurant" is located on a hill, a short distance from the Blue Nose Inn, outside downtown Bar Harbor. My husband and I ate their several times. While the prices are on the higher side, each meal was superb ! We had their oysters Rockefeller twice and I had Lobster Macc and Cheese our last night there. There is a nice and varied selection to choose from. The staff was very courteous and the view from the restaurant is spectacular (during the day). I would advise all to eat there but you might want to make sure and have a reservation - just in case it gets crowded. Great restaurant !!

1  Thank Musictchr2

Thank you for your excellent comments regarding your dinners at the Looking Glass restaurant. By virtue of the fact that you had the oysters Rockefeller twice certainly delighted my staff and I. This is one of our best sellers by the way. I am glad you enjoyed the lobster mac and cheese. It is an item we put on the menu a few years ago and has been another of our very popular dishes. As depicted, we do have a wide selection of items hoping to have something for everyone.without being too expansive. As you pointed out the view is truly spectacular. Regardless of the season, it is simply phenomenal overlooking the harbor with sweeping vistas. Thank you for pointing out to people to make a reservation. Without one, we will do our best to get people in but at times it is extremely difficult.
Thank you for your business and we hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed October 18, 2013

From a booklet on restaurants in Bar Harbor we found this restaurant with a beautiful view over Bar Harbor. It lies a bit secluded and you will need transportation to get there but especially with nice weather if you can sit outside on the deck, it is a great place.
We have had dinner there and got a table at the window. the menu was surprisingly good and different. Not a long list of many dishes but different dishes like a Curry Coconet veggie stew wich is absolutely to die for! What a great soup/stew but be careful of what you choose as an entree after that... take a light one or take the stew as your entree:)
The staff is friendly and efficient and the wines are very nice.
The 2 things that kept me from giving 5 stars for this dinner is the price in comparising with the entourage. The chairs and the appearance of the restaurant inside is too basic. You can hear the other table conversations very clearly because there is nothing to bring down the accoustics. It would need it bit more dressing up to make it more suitable for the rates they ask and the nice wines that they offer. It doesn't need to be very fancy, altough I must admit that the bathroom was more decorated in line with the appearance that I had expected.
So yes, a positive experience but if they would change some small things they could offer a better one!

hospitality04609, General Manager at The Looking Glass Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded October 27, 2013

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent visit to the Looking Glass restaurant. While I am extremely pleased that you enjoyed your meal, I am disappointed that you felt that our pricing was out of line with our competition. Your comments about the décor and sound issues we will certainly take into consideration. I am very happy that you found the staff to be cheerful and friendly and most importantly that you stated that you will definitely come back.