“NICE” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Looking Glass

The Looking Glass
Ranked #58 of 143 Restaurants in Bar Harbor
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children, Scenic view, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Manchester, Vermont
“NICE”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

Food was good but hand made ravoli was nothing to rave about! Sauce out of can??Not at those prices!!

Visited July 2013
hospitality04609, General Manager at The Looking Glass, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Thank you for your comments regarding your visit to the Looking Glass. While I deeply respect your opinion, none of our sauces are out of the can, Our Chef makes them all from scratch. I am disappointed however that you did not like the ravioli but did like the rest of your meal.. Should your travel plans bring you back to Bar Harbor, please contact me directly.

Shrewsbury, Massachusetts, United States
“Great view, poor food, expensive prices”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

The view is spectacular but the food is not good. They use way too much salt, which in my book is a sign of a bad cook if you have to salt it to death to provide flavor. I had scallops and they were over-powered with the rosemary and butter. I would have been disappointed with this meal at half the price we paid. This inside dining area is beautiful and the view is the best around - if they had the same quality of food then they could charge these prices. There are a lot of good and great restaurants in Bar Harbor - skip this one and find them.

Visited July 2013
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent visit to the Looking Glass restaurant. I deeply apologize that the food was not to your liking. I am glad however that you found the room and views beautiful and the best around.
Should your schedule bring you back to the area, please contact me directly as our Chef can prepare whatever you would like off the menu in a manner that I am certain would please you. We would do this complimentary for you and a guest.
G.M./co-owner
207-288-3348 Ext 520
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Fabulous recommendation!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

My husband and I travel to Bar Harbor about once every two to three years. I don't know how we missed this place! We visited a few weeks ago and had breakfast at a lovely bed and breakfast where our waiter, Anthony, invited us to The Looking Glass for dinner. He completely sold us on the place, and we decided to give it a shot. First of all, what a view! We ordered filet mignon and stuffed chicken. It was cooked perfectly. My husband, who loves his steaks, said it was the best he had ever had. After dinner on the deck we grabbed a signature drink from the bartender. I believe it was called a Bar Harbor bliss. It was so refreshing and a great way to end our vacation. We have now found our new favorite place to eat. Next time we will try the hotel as well Thank you Anthony for your sales pitch on this place. It's nice to see someone so young with so much charisma!

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your excellent comments regarding your recent visit to the Looking Glass restaurant. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your dinner. I am glad to hear that Anthony gave you the recommendation as I am certain he was sincere.. As you pointed out, the view is fantastic and one that we feel is the best in the area. Your husband's comment about the steak, "best he has ever had" I have already passed on to our Chef. So when your travels bring you back from Charlotte to Maine, we do hope you will visit us again. Thanks again.
The Bluenose Inn and Looking Glass Restaurant
Boston, Massachusetts
“Hidden Gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

The Looking Glass is a hidden gem in Bar Harbor. Up on a hill behind the Blue Nose Inn, the views are spectacular. We have only eaten breakfast here but the food was great and very reasonably priced.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent visit to The Looking Glass restaurant. The views are indeed spectacular and I am thrilled that you found the food great and reasonably priced. We look forward to seeing you again. Boston is not that far away!
The Bluenose Inn and Looking Glass Restaurant
“WOW what a view!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

Before heading up to Bar Harbor I researched a couple nice restaurants and although some of the reviews were not the best I am a sucker for a good view so I booked a Saturday night. I emailed for reservations and got a quick response and booked it. We were early and were seated right by the window. We could see all of the Harbor and delighted in watching the sand bar disappear...and people having to wade through water to get back. Our waitress was delightful and very helpful. We started with the Lobster bisque and the asparagus wrapped in smoked salmon. We also had some wonderful bread and blueberry butter as well as a rosemary infused olive oil which was delicious.
The asparagus was very good seasoned well and the salmon was very fresh. The bisque was ok. Not my favorite, but it had some chucks of lobster in it which was a plus.
For main entree I had the gorgonzola stuffed filet mignon...so rich and good. Cooked perfectly. My dining mate had the rack of lamb which was also very good. The lamb was a tiny tiny bit cooked too much. We like it medium rare and it was more medium.
For dessert we had to have the blueberry pie, as the wild blueberries up in Bar Harbor are amazing. It was very good too.
Overall definitely worth the visit and after a couple days of touristy food it was nice to have a good meal. You pay for the view though as the meals were pricey for what you get.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
hospitality04609, General Manager at The Looking Glass, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Thank you for your many excellent comments regarding your recent visit to the Looking Glass Restaurant. You made some great choices including the gorgonzola stuffed filet and the rack of lamb. I am glad you tried the blueberry butter as well as the asparagus wrapped with salmon salad. And you cannot go wrong with Maine blueberry pie!
Of course as you pointed out the views are dramatic and frankly never get old.
I do hope that when your travel plans bring you back to the area you will dine with us again.