“So-so dinner; great breakfast!”

The Looking Glass Restaurant
Ranked #56 of 150 Restaurants in Bar Harbor
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Looking Glass highlights the best of Maine Cuisine by using locally grown meat and produce from our own garden and around the island. A consecutive winner of the Wine Spectator Award of Excellence, the Looking Glass highlights the best of Maine cuisine expertly prepared by our talented and award-winning culinary team. The Looking Glass was a previous winner of the “Best Breakfast with a View,” for all of Maine, by the editors at Yankee Magazine.  Join us and find out why. We offer convenient and abundant parking. We hope you’ll visit us and enjoy our gorgeous view, deck and fire pit! Be prepared for a truly exceptional dining experience.
Reviewed May 31, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Bluenose Inn, part of a family-owned hillside lodging and dining complex that includes The Looking Glass Restaurant, where we had dinner the evening we arrived.The restaurant was less than elegant, but the view of the island-dotted harbor was terrific. We both had lazy lobster, which was tender, tasty and there was plenty of it. I also had a salad with a vinaigrette dressing, which was WAY heavy on the vinegar -- so much so, I couldn't eat it. I wasn't going to say anything, but our waitress asked how everything was, and I told her. I expected that the salad would be replaced or we wouldn't be charged for it. Neither resolution was forthcoming, or even mentioned. That was 8 bucks down the drain.
If this had been our only experience of The Looking Glass, I would never recommend it. A complimentary breakfast was included, however, in the already reasonable price of our room at the Bluenose Inn, so we returned the next morning. I wasn't sure what to expect would be on offer, but we simply ordered everything we wanted from the breakfast menu -- for example, I had a lobster/gouda/mushroom omelet that was absolutely delicious -- plus fresh orange juice, fruit, wholewheat toast and coffee. Our waitress (the same young lady who'd served us the night before) went out of her way to see that everything was exactly how we wanted it -- and it was! I estimated that between the two of us, my wife and I enjoyed a wonderful breakfast that would have cost us $45 or $50 if we weren't guests at the inn; all at no extra cost, except for a tip.
So, something of a mixed bag; but overall we left Bar Harbor pleased with our stay at the inn and, for the most part, with The Looking Glass Restaurant. I'd say skip dinner there -- or, at least pass on the salad dressing -- and go there for breakfast.

hospitality04609, General Manager at The Looking Glass Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2013

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at the Bluenose and experience at our Looking Glass restaurant. First of all I truly apologize for the salad dressing and the way the situation was handled. I am delighted however about your comments regarding breakfast and the value it represented. Therefore I do hope that when your travel plans bring you back to New England you will think of the Bluenose. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.
General Manager/Co-Owner

There are newer reviews for The Looking Glass Restaurant

Reviewed May 31, 2013

We stayed at the adjacent hotel and had both breakfast and dinner at the Looking Glass. The food was excellant, try the smoke samon eggs benedict, yum. Dinner was just as good. The thing that made eating meals there was the warm attention of the staff and owner. They were super busy when we were there for dinner, however they made us feel like the only customers who showed up and even though we picked on them they gave it back with a great sense of humor.

Thank you for your excellent comments regarding your dining experience at the Looking Glass restaurant. The smoked salmon eggs Benedict are one of our leading sellers. I really appreciate your comments regarding the attention paid to you by my staff. Our goal is clearly to meet and exceed expectations and it sounds like we did. We hope to see you again in the near future.
General Manager/Co-Owner

Reviewed May 26, 2013

My husband and I have been coming to this restaurant for over 15 years..We look forward to it every year...recently we booked for another week in the fall.We are now up to 2 weeks a year staying at the Wonderview where you can take your dogs...
The Looking Glass Restaurant.... The food is Fantastic...breakfasts are very good, large portions ..the dinners are excellent we had stuffed salmon with crabmeat stuffing..Wonderful!!! Husband had Sea scallops with Raviolli stuffed with goatcheese..Very tastey :) we both had the Lobster bisque very good ...The servers a Great...Beautiful scenery..
Scott & Donna

Thank you for your excellent comments on your recent visit to the Wonder View and the Looking Glass restaurant. Above all, thank you for your continued support over the 15 years!
The sea scallops with ravioli stuffed with goat cheese has been a big hit so I am thrilled you enjoyed it so much. The comments on your servers will certainly be passed along. The scenery is indeed beautiful and frankly never gets old. See you in the fall.

Reviewed May 21, 2013

Returned this trip to enjoy another delightful dinner as sun set on Frenchman's Bay below. Although the multi-windowed dining room can be a bit noisy, spectacular scenery & fantastic food more than make up for the lack of curtains. Server was great, which added to our experience.

1  Thank Denise L
hospitality04609, General Manager at The Looking Glass Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2013

I wish to sincerely thank you for your excellent comments regarding your recent visit to our Looking Glass restaurant. I will certainly pass along your praise for the food and the service to our staff. We do hope that when your travel plans bring you back to Maine you will visit us again.

Reviewed May 20, 2013

the food was well prepared and was delicious great place to dine the view is breath taking and love the outdoor area with fire pit

Thank you for your outstanding comments regarding your recent visit to the Looking Glass restaurant. The atmosphere and breath taking views are quite spectacular indeed. Frankly, it never gets old. The fire pit has been a welcome addition to the restaurant serving both breakfast and dinner on our deck. The deck is also pet friendly so that also has been well received by our guests. We hope to see you again soon.
The Bluenose Inn & Looking Glass Restaurant