“A Beautiful B&B by the Sea”
Review of Balance Rock Inn

Balance Rock Inn
Ranked #24 of 41 Hotels in Bar Harbor
Reviewed August 31, 2011

The Balance Rock Inn is one of the most beautiful B&B's we have ever stayed at. The room was very nice, but we wished we could have gotten a room with a view of the Ocean. The breakfast was outstanding and the service was impeccable. They have a gas firepit on the patio and it is a social gathering place in the evenings. We met some very nice couples and had some interesting chat by the fire. The room rate includes a $15 bar credit each night so you can enjoy an after dinner drink. The bartender Edward was very nice and helped us with dinner choices, etc .

Room Tip: We stayed in the carriage house which is very nice and has a two person whirlpool, but I would opt f...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
BalanceRockInn, Manager at Balance Rock Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2011

Thank you very much for your feedback. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our extremely popular cocktail hour and received a chance to socialize with other guests. Our firepit is very popular, especially on cooler evenings. We hope next time we are able to accommodate you with one of our fabulous ocean view rooms or even a suite.

Reviewed August 19, 2011

This lovely hotel has some serious problem with a cook that can not even fry eggs. Yes, he is that bad. I have been in little mom and pop B & Bs that can do a superb job with breakfast. For what they charge, I was expecting this hotel to have a nice and decent breakfast but I have to say it is the worst I have ever had.

I was there four days. The first day, I ordered two fried eggs because nothing really look that apetizing in the two trays (they had some very dry hash potatoes, some sausage, a terribly overcooked fritata that you could hardly cut with a knife and a poor excuse for french toast). When my eggs came, they looked worst thant the other things they had. He managed to break both yolks and it looked disgusting.

The second day, pretty much the same horrible staff was served. I decided I will have cereal instead, only to find out there was no cereal at all. The fruit was cut in tiny little pieces instead of the traditional way at most places. I guess they are trying to save money. Next to the fruit was a little bowl of plain yogurt. That was it! I decided to try a bagel, only to find out it was at least three days old. I couldn't eat it.

The third day, the same story repeated. The only thing I was able to eat was some dry pankakes and little pieces of fruit.

My last day, tired of seenig the same horrible stuff of the last three days, I ordered a couple of fry eggs, hoping this time he can do them right. Unfortunately, my server aopologized and told me the cook was busy and could not do it. It was just unbelievable.

Breakfast supposed to be served until 10 AM but if you go there at nine you will be lucky if you find some fruit. Nothing gets replenish. The cereal was offered only the first day and never saw it again. While the servers are nice and attentive, I feel bad they have to serve this garbage every morning to their guests. If this place wants to have repeat customers, they need to get rid of the cook and hire somebody who knows at least the basic stuff to be able to fry eggs.

In my room, I had only one waste basket. Everyday, I kept throwing papers on the floor hoping they will get the message and put at least another waste basket, but nobody got the message. The only waste basket was in the bathroom. The lock to my room was not working and for the entire four days, my room was not locked. I was really lucky nobody entered my room. You will think the house keeper will report this problem but nothing was done. We were two people in the room and for four days we had to share one single bar of soap. Yes, one! We kept moving it from the shower to the zinc and nobody placed another soap in our room. Finally, the last night I discovered the storage room and I helped myself to a second bar of soap.

The reading lamps next to the bed had very poor light. They needed a three way light bulb but they only had a regular one way bulb, so reading in bed was next to impossible.

The red carpet on the stairs to the second floor has seen better days. It has lots of stains and it looks old. It needs to be replaced.

There is no safe in the rooms either so you have to lock your valuables in your lugagge. Finally, the TV is a very small thing when today even the cheap motels have large screens at least 40 inches or more. You either get rid of those little screens and put a larger one or not offer TV at all. I really didn't watch TV during my trip but I think some people do enjoy it.

On the good side, the location is good and the view is fantastic. However, If I ever come back to Bar Harbor I will stay some place else. This hotel needs the manager to get involved and correct these issues right away. Otherwise, I doubt they will remain as one of the main places in town. So far, this place is at the bottom of my list.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the water have great views.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank javier200
Reviewed August 16, 2011

We were here a couple of years ago for our Anniversary and decided to spend the extra money. Well...we liked it so much we did it again. We were traveling with a dog and they gave us room 107, which had it's own entrance and a private (fenced) courtyard with two outside tables! We had a view of the water from the courtyard. Balance Rock is very pet friendly and the location is hard to top. The Breakfast is excellent.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family

We are so happy to hear that you were able to return with pet in tow. We love that you were able to take advantage of the full complimentary buffet breakfast and enjoy your private outdoor sitting area. We hope to see you again!

Reviewed August 10, 2011

Given the pricing of the property we were disappointed with the service. The breakfast was not good either. As we asked for black tea the question was answered they do not have any tea bags of black tea any more, I should go to my room to grap one. Next morning, the same question was answered a little bit differently. Black tea is out, are you ok with "English breakfast". A similar service behavior we experienced there. Overall, the location and the view is great, unfortunately not well managed.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple

We are always dissapointed to hear that a guest had an unfortunate experience in service. I think in this situation it was a matter of misunderstanding and miscommunication on both parts. Every morning we put coffee and a large variety of fresh teas out in our Piano Room so that guests may help themselves. In the Dining Room where breakfast is served we offer a more limited tea service with select packets. I think this guest misunderstood the Piano Room for possibly their own guest room. As well, we do have quite a few varieties of Black Teas so I'm not sure how it is possible we did not have any. Even as this guest stated they were offered English Breakfast Tea which is a Black Tea. We can only hope to communicate better in the future with our non-english speaking guests.

Reviewed August 4, 2011

My favorite inn was booked so I gave Balance Rock a try. I won't be going back. My first hint of troubles to come was when I called for a room and was quoted $550. As I politely declined and started to hang up the price "for a smaller room" quickly reduced by more than $200. I inquired about the view and she deftly changed the subject. Clue number two. When I got there she (the only employee I saw except the bartender) started to help me with my bags but left me when her phone rang. The room appeared nice but had absolutely NO view -- in fact was right on the parking lot. Opening the windows brought all the parking lot noise inside. But that, too, was a challenge since several of the cranks were missing. I found myself outside in the bushes reaching to pull out the windows by hand while mumbling to myself about being duped. And when I went to lock the deadbolt, one of the two screws was missing. A window air conditioning unit was two feet from my pillow. I really tried to like this place, but when the Bar Harbor Inn is right next door, the comparisons are painfully obvious. Once I got settled I nearly marched to the BHI via the beautiful shore path and pretty much begged them to find me a room for the remainder of my stay. The worst room at BHI tops the service and upkeep of Balance Rock. BUT..the breakfast was incredible! Both in food and service.

Room Tip: Do not stay in rm. 107. Insist on viewing your room before checking in,
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed August 1, 2011

My summary say it all. Management fixed the noise issues but for the price I am not sure it is worth it.

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed July 29, 2011

We loved the Balance Rock Inn. Fireplace in our comfy room, large ocean frontage, path to City pier on shoreline, walking distance to restaurants and shops, outside patio on the ocean - What's not to love! The little bar that opens daily with late afternoon snacks was a plus, as were the wonderful fire pit and heated pool. Breakfasts were beautifully served at small tables, and the entrees were simply delicious. Staff members were attentive and friendly. No owner on property, but guests are well taken care of. The living room features an inviting fireplace and soft, classical music. We would definitely return here.

Room Tip: A room that does not face the ocean will definitely give you the best bargain, since this inn can be...
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple