“Yum! Creative flavors. (Not on Main Street- so don't miss it!)”

Mount Desert Island Ice Cream
Ranked #2 of 13 Dessert in Bar Harbor
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night
Description: Mount Desert Island Ice Cream makes handmade artisanal ice cream and sorbets in Bar Harbor and Portland, Maine. We have been named one of the top ice cream shops by Food and Wine. Mount Desert Island Ice Cream is closed for the season until spring 2018.
Reviewed June 25, 2009

I got the Mexican Chocolate which tasted a lot like fried ice cream. It was unique and delicious. The guy at the counter was very helpful as I asked him for descriptions of many of the flavors. Will definitely return everytime we come to Bar Harbor.

1  Thank VRun

Reviewed June 18, 2009

My husband and I tried MDI Ice Cream for the first time last night and we loved it. We usually go to Ben and Bill but decided to try MDI. I had the Salty Caramel. It was creamy and salty/sweet. I would definitely get it again. My husband had the Rocky Road and enjoy it as well. We will be back.

Reviewed June 13, 2009

Don't be drawn in by the first ice cream parlor you pass in Bar Harbor.

Make the effort to find MDIIC, either facing the square by the fire station or heading out of town on Main Street. The flavors all looked fantastic (my favorite was the blackstrap banana with rich molasses and banana flavor), and the lady serving was happy to talk about flavors and ingredients including a sample to help make up my mind. The prices are not higher than other places in town, and the quality is well worth it--it's a treat!

Reviewed May 19, 2009

Ice Cream parlor fan and this place fits the bill well. Too much fudge and chockies to chose from so stuck with double waffle cone. Large portions of ice cream . Only qualm was cost $5.50 for a double scoop . Family group will leave much cash behind , too many options to indulge sweet tooth...

1  Thank kevin g
lmpBarHarbor, Owner at Mount Desert Island Ice Cream, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2009

Thanks for the nice review of MDI Ice Cream, we totally appreciate your business! I'm sorry to hear that you were charged $5.50 for a double as that's not our price for doubles, you should have been charged 4.25 instead. I'm really sorry for the mistake, if you're still in town stop by our 325 Main Street location, and I would love to treat you to another cone!!

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Doylestown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 8, 2009

Excellent ice cream, fresh, delicious all natural ingredients, a must do while in Bar Harbor, a real treat.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook