“Best Ice Cream in Bar Harbor”

Mount Desert Island Ice Cream
Ranked #1 of 13 Dessert in Bar Harbor
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night
Description: Mount Desert Island Ice Cream makes handmade artisanal ice cream and sorbets in Bar Harbor and Portland, Maine. We have been named one of the top ice cream shops by Food and Wine.
Reviewed July 30, 2014

This place is really great. I love ice cream and they know how to make it at the Mount Desert Island Ice Cream! The staff is young and attractive which is a nice touch! I love chocolate anything and the young fella that helped me recommended the Callebaut Chocolate and I hesitated to get it because I usually like something a little more complicated than chocolate, but I caved and got it. Callebaut Chocolate the best chocolate ice cream you'll ever have. I highly recommend it! It's good enough to make you drive to the other side of the island to get it!

Reviewed July 29, 2014

The flavors (Nutella, butterbeer, sea salt caramel, coconut, and more) were mostly outstanding, but I had to nick the overall rating because on all three visits this year, they were out of their cardamom cinnamon ice cream. Also, the smaller of the Bar Harbor locations skimped on the scooping. When you drop $17 on four cones, you should not be left wanting more ice cream, but that was our experience at the smaller of the two stands. Go for the main location near the Village Green, ask for samples. Staff was very friendly.

Reviewed July 26, 2014

I liked the ice cream that I ate here but the choices were limited. Technically it was probably one of the better choices in town but their purist approach makes them much less popular than some of the other places.

Reviewed July 25, 2014

Highly highly recommend coming to Mount Desert Island Ice Cream for high quality ice cream and sorbet. I've had the blueberry basil sorbet, honeydew sorbet and the lemon poppyseed blueberry swirl ice cream....and all were incredible. Their flavors are so unique and a must try!

Reviewed July 25, 2014

This ice-cream is simply delicious. Creamy, flavorful . . . AMAZING. Thanks to the man sitting on the bench in the village green eating a cone for the recommendation! I had "salty caramel" and it was just heavenly. $3.95 a scoop - worth it. We will return before our trip is over!!!