“Yum!”

Mount Desert Island Ice Cream
Ranked #2 of 13 Dessert in Bar Harbor
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night
Description: Mount Desert Island Ice Cream makes handmade artisanal ice cream and sorbets in Bar Harbor and Portland, Maine. We have been named one of the top ice cream shops by Food and Wine. Mount Desert Island Ice Cream is closed for the season until spring 2018.
Reviewed October 4, 2013

Delicious ice cream! Flavors change often. A must go! I'm a fan of the salted caramel with some plain cream to cut the sweetness.

Reviewed September 27, 2013

I don't eat a lot of ice cream, rarely at best. A few people had suggested we stop here, and our parking spot by coincidence happened to be directly across the street. We walked around, and stopped In on our way out. Steph had the carmelized pear, and it was possibly the best ice cream I had ever had, anywhere. It was so good, I had to go back the next day to get some of my own. I had the salty peanut butter, which was really, really good! They had the standards, as well as a variety of custom flavors. We used to go to a local ice cream shop in Upstate New York, where they made the ice cream from scratch, even had the cows out back. They closed years ago, and we had been trying to find a place that compares. Well, this is the place!

1  Thank Kevin K
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Very distinct and different.
The employee washed his hands the minute we came in.
We had mint, blueberry basil, vanilla bean and Oreo.
Very good.

Reviewed September 23, 2013

Really enjoyed this simple, yet different ice cream cream shop. Unique flavors! My husband and I both enjoyed the flight (4 sample servings of our choice)....pumpkin, sea salt caramel, chocolate and raspberry streudel were quite tasty. All-in-all, I enjoy the basic ice cream for a sweet treat, but this was nice for trying something different.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

The ice cream from Mt. Desert is one of the best things I have even eaten in my life. The "flight" is a sampler with four different flavors. All of the ice cream is made with fresh cream and inspired ingredients. The chocolate is the ice cream Godiva should have made if they got it right. The atmosphere is adequate. The spoon and container is nothing special. But as I sat on a bench devouring my flight, my eyes rolled up in the back of my head and my inner child celebrated with glee. New England-er's devour more ice cream per capita than any other people on earth. This is the best ice cream I have ever had. There's also a solid lesson to be learned. The shop is unpretentious and off the beaten path. There are other ice cream stores in the vicinity where tourist-trapping signs featuring lobsters holding cones tempt those who have not done their research. Meanwhile, those in the know quietly walk into this holy cathedral to the miracle that is ice cream.

1  Thank jojothedogfaceboy