“So many fun flavors!”

Mount Desert Island Ice Cream
Ranked #1 of 13 Dessert in Bar Harbor
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night
Description: Mount Desert Island Ice Cream makes handmade artisanal ice cream and sorbets in Bar Harbor and Portland, Maine. We have been named one of the top ice cream shops by Food and Wine. Mount Desert Island Ice Cream is closed for the season until spring 2018.
Reviewed May 17, 2013

The ice cream here is soooo good! The texture and flavors are delicious. I had the nutella and it wasn't overpowering, just right. So many other flavors I wanted to try, but not enough time! I highly recommend stopping by.

1  Thank Laura S

Reviewed April 27, 2013

This restaurant came highly recommended to us and was without a doubt the biggest disappointment of the entire weekend. The service was ghastly, the food was old and left over and the prices were over the top for the quality received. Upon approaching management we were all but ignored and our complaints seemed to reach deaf ears.

lmpBarHarbor, Owner at Mount Desert Island Ice Cream, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2016

I have been trying to get this review removed for years. Why? Because MDI Ice Cream doesn't serve Frozen Veggies or Old Rice. We don't serve fresh veggies or new rice.

This review is an example of many people's consternation with Trip Advisor. First, a reviewer doesn't take the time to make sure they are actually writing a one star review for the actual place they have a problem with. Secondly, after years of asking Trip Advisor to remove the review repeatedly (I have asked 3 times), they refuse to pull the obviously misplaced review.

In the scheme of things, this one star review is really not a big deal at all. However, this review is a great example of why many distrust the integrity of Trip Advisor

Reviewed January 4, 2013

Living in Bar Harbor during the summer, I'm always in for a real treat after dinner or on my way home when I stop by "Mount Desert Island Ice Cream". First off, the service is amazing!! They are often busy and I love the support they're getting, but when it's slow or not busy, the workers are always open to making great conversation about the ice cream or life in general. The flavors are very unique and the coffee float is my favorite. Sometimes they'll add new flavors, so when I go in, the workers will recommend to me what's new on the menu. I personally get "The Dude". It's a Vodka-type vanilla ice cream flavor named after Jeff Bridges character in "The Big Lebowski". I sometime get a coffee float with it, so it taste like a mix of coffee, vodka, and vanilla ice cream. Other flavors include a nice range of sorbets and Buttermint and Mexican Chocolate. They also have a Dog Bone Sundae. I'm not a dog, so I can't give my feedback on that, but I'm sure they have reviews for that on "Woof Advisors". Nothing for cats. But anyway, they have a nice seating area and they're just located across from the Village Green, so you can always head there and sit along the benches.

Also, Obama came here a few years back and got the coconut ice cream. The ice cream is homemade at a nearby location and is fresh. Some people do complain about the prices, but for homemade ice cream, unique flavors, and a good portion, i've never had a problem with the prices. The owner is very nice and the ice cream can be served at various BH restaurants.

The reason I come back is for the nice service and the delicious coffee or root beer floats. I love getting my summer drinks there. Also, MDI Ice Cream was featured on The View, so that says a lot about the quality of the ice cream.

There are two locations. One by the Village Green and another on upper Main Street near the YMCA. Very similar, but just two different locations. Either one is fine.

Hope you'll have the chance to swing by and get some good delicious ice cream and I promise I won't let you down.

Reviewed December 28, 2012

If you were driving through Maine, you discovered that ice cream is a popular thing there. This was the best ice cream that we found on our trip to ME. The ice cream flavors were so true, and the taste was so incredibly creamy. We never experienced a line there, but if we did, it would be worth the wait. The staff was also nice, and allowed you to have a sample. I would HIGHLY recommend!

Reviewed November 17, 2012

So many choices, so creamy...

The three of us each had a different ice cream; a sea salt caramel, the peanut butter, and the blueberry. Each was FANTASTIC.

We went towards closing so there weren't long lines.