“Best Ice Cream I've Tasted on MDI Island” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mount Desert Island Ice Cream

Mount Desert Island Ice Cream
Ranked #1 of 11 Dessert in Bar Harbor
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Mount Desert Island Ice Cream makes handmade artisanal ice cream and sorbets in Bar Harbor and Portland, Maine. We have been named one of the top ice cream shops by Food and Wine.
Bar Harbor, Maine
“Best Ice Cream I've Tasted on MDI Island”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Living in Bar Harbor during the summer, I'm always in for a real treat after dinner or on my way home when I stop by "Mount Desert Island Ice Cream". First off, the service is amazing!! They are often busy and I love the support they're getting, but when it's slow or not busy, the workers are always open to making great conversation about the ice cream or life in general. The flavors are very unique and the coffee float is my favorite. Sometimes they'll add new flavors, so when I go in, the workers will recommend to me what's new on the menu. I personally get "The Dude". It's a Vodka-type vanilla ice cream flavor named after Jeff Bridges character in "The Big Lebowski". I sometime get a coffee float with it, so it taste like a mix of coffee, vodka, and vanilla ice cream. Other flavors include a nice range of sorbets and Buttermint and Mexican Chocolate. They also have a Dog Bone Sundae. I'm not a dog, so I can't give my feedback on that, but I'm sure they have reviews for that on "Woof Advisors". Nothing for cats. But anyway, they have a nice seating area and they're just located across from the Village Green, so you can always head there and sit along the benches.

Also, Obama came here a few years back and got the coconut ice cream. The ice cream is homemade at a nearby location and is fresh. Some people do complain about the prices, but for homemade ice cream, unique flavors, and a good portion, i've never had a problem with the prices. The owner is very nice and the ice cream can be served at various BH restaurants.

The reason I come back is for the nice service and the delicious coffee or root beer floats. I love getting my summer drinks there. Also, MDI Ice Cream was featured on The View, so that says a lot about the quality of the ice cream.

There are two locations. One by the Village Green and another on upper Main Street near the YMCA. Very similar, but just two different locations. Either one is fine.

Hope you'll have the chance to swing by and get some good delicious ice cream and I promise I won't let you down.

• Visited July 2012

Chicago, IL
“Best ice cream we found...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

If you were driving through Maine, you discovered that ice cream is a popular thing there. This was the best ice cream that we found on our trip to ME. The ice cream flavors were so true, and the taste was so incredibly creamy. We never experienced a line there, but if we did, it would be worth the wait. The staff was also nice, and allowed you to have a sample. I would HIGHLY recommend!

• Visited September 2012
Madison, New Jersey
“Really Creamy & Just GOOD”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

So many choices, so creamy...

The three of us each had a different ice cream; a sea salt caramel, the peanut butter, and the blueberry. Each was FANTASTIC.

We went towards closing so there weren't long lines.

Visited July 2012
Ellicott City, Maryland
“So Delicious!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

There are a lot of the ice cream shops in Bar Harbor, but this one is the best and most unique! Homemade and unusual flavor combinations that are so delicious! They let you sample as many flavors as you like until you find the perfect one for you! Too many yummy choices! Take your ice cream to go and enjoy it in the park across the street!

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars
Pleasant Grove, CA
“Good Ice Cream”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

We visited Bar Harbor in August and stopped in for some Ice Cream on a Friday night. The town was jumping, lots of people having a great time in the resort town. The line was long, but didnt mind the wait. While the Ice Cream was good, it was not fantastic (in my opinion). The customer service was good and the were helpful and friendly.

• Visited August 2012