“Choose another kayak tour”

Aquaterra Adventures
Reviewed September 4, 2010

The two-hour harbor tour is only one hour on the water as they take forever to equip and instruct everyone and launch the boats. Our guide spent most of the time cracking (not funny) jokes and praising his company and trashing the competition, instead of focusing on what we were seeing, which wasn't much since he was very focused on keeping us away from any shoreline.

2  Thank adventuretraveler64

Reviewed August 12, 2010

When looking on TripAdvisor for a kayak excursion, my wife and I had originally called Acadia Park Kayak Tours because of its high ratings and praise. They were all booked up, but their main guide Brecian personally recommended Aquaterra Adventures as an alternative.

We ended up choosing the 3 hour (2-5pm) Porcupine Islands tour, which worked out to a little under 2.5 hours worth of paddling. Aquaterra provided us with a good sturdy kayak with rudder, paddles, spray skirt, aqua shoes, PFD, and the boat contained a small dry compartment for any small extras you wish to bring. I stored my digital camera inside a dry bag that I bought at their shop and then put it in this compartment. I'm not sure if I would recommend this though as the compartment is a little tough to get quickly in and out of. Attempt at your own risk I guess, and if you are hesitant, they do sell waterproof cameras in the shop.

As for the tour itself, it started out with our guide Mark giving the 8 of us (3 tandem kayaks, 2 singles) a few safety tips. Then it was straight into the water. No shuttle bus is needed as they have a dock right on the water, unlike some other tour outfits. Our guide was extremely friendly and helpful, and he made the paddle very enjoyable and laid back. He made a good effort to make everybody feel welcome. If I had one criticism though, it would have been nice to hear a little more about the islands. He did seem able to answer our few questions, though it would have been nice to have been offered a few more nuggets of island knowledge.

The paddle itself was fun (especially when the waves got a little choppy) and the scenery was beautiful. We probably had our sights set a little high for wildlife sightings, but we did get to see a lot of birds, as well as a seal as he popped up his head for some air. My recommendation is to set your expectations low and ignore the advertisements of any tour outfit concerning wildlife sightings, as it's going to be hit and miss no matter where you go. Such is nature.

All in all it was a great way to see Bar Harbor from a different perspective, and the Porcupine Islands from up close. We would definitely recommend a kayak excursion to anybody, and Aquaterra is a very good outfit.

3  Thank wmarcello
Reviewed August 10, 2010

I can't say enough about our experience with Aquaterra Adventures, the reservation staff was extremely helpful and pleasant. Pete our guide aka "Sequoia" was a lot of fun, he made the experience a blast. And made everyone feel very comfortable. We did the Sunset kayak trip and it was beautiful. I highly recommend this place!

2  Thank Gia302
Reviewed June 12, 2008

I was in Acadia National Park June 2 - 6, 2008. We walked into Aquaterra's store front without knowing anything about them. We loved their charismatic and approachable personalities right from the start.

We ended up booking a kayak tour of the Porcupine Islands. It was a 3-hour trip, which cost a reasonable $45 per person. Our group consisted of my fiance, myself, another couple and our guide, Dave - also the owner of Aquaterra.

We went out in the afternoon on a rainy, overcast day and it couldn't have been better. Dave was an engaging guide and was able to tell us great snippets of island history, Acadia gossip, and had immense knowledge of the water, wildlife and surrounding area.

There was never a dull moment. As we circled the first island, we watched as a feeding harbour seal gradually made his way closer to us with each dive. Eventually, he came up within 15 yards of our kayaks. But after sniffing the air and taking a peak, made one last dive and disappeared.

Next we ventured to another island, and watched as two bald eagles took to flight in an attempt to lead us away from their nest. It was long before we caught sight of a couple of porpoises. After that, we excitedly thought we saw a moose swimming across the bay to an island. Upon closer inspection - and after a mad, enthusiastic row - we realized it was just drift wood!

Dave and his crew are awesome! They know all the best places in town and treat you like family. I had a fantastic time and I still smile whenever I think about our afternoon of kayaking. You will not be disappointed with their customer service, attention to detail and fun, enthusiastic nature!

10  Thank miminli