“Beautiful!!!!!”

and up
Guam Duck Sightseeing Tour
Ranked #3 of 15 things to do in Tumon
More attraction details
Owner description: Everything except food and sunscreen is available at this beautiful beach: grassy spots for games, a sandy stretch, great swimming, a playground and restrooms.
Reviewed December 8, 2014

Ypao Beach is the beach where I went swimming when I was a kid, having grown up on Guam in the 70's. It was wonderful to see it again and to see that it hadn't changed all that much in almost 30 years. It's still as beautiful as ever. The coral sand may be a little rough for some people's feet, but that's ok, just wear your zorries (flip-flops). The reef around the island keeps the waters calm and clear. As a former local, that's where I'd always recommend a visitor to the island goes.

1  Thank guamwoman
"warm water"
"water sports"
"tourists and locals"

Reviewed November 12, 2014

Ypao beach is a wonderful area especially if you're not looking to spend money to entertain yourself. The beach area is free to visit and it isn't restricted to specific hours like Ritidian Beach/Point is. I like to list pros and "warnings" for reviews. Please look below.

First of all, I have been to Ypao beach many times. I currently live in the surrounding area. I have never had a bad experience at Ypao myself. I have only visited it once at night, but I was with a group of friends. When I go to the beach, I enjoy staying for a long time.

***** Pros:
-It's a great area for a beach picnic
-There are restrooms where you could change your clothes at
-There are showers outside where you could rinse salt water off of yourself
-Whenever I have visited, there is a stand with beach toys (snorkels, float tubes, etc.) which you can rent or buy
-You're able to see the different shades of the beach easily here
-The snorkeling is quite nice compared to other beaches
-There are life guards on duty here
-Great for "groups" of friends and family.
-During weekdays (especially during business hours), it's quiet.
-Great to go running.
-There's grassy areas so you can bring a yoga mat and exercise too.

***** Cons:
-This is a very popular tourist destination, often times couples with their wedding attire will come to take photos
-The current is unpredictable here and can sometimes be pretty strong
-There have been instances where people have had their items stolen and/or their cars broken into here
-It's great for groups of people, but since there's so many tourists, I wouldn't recommend it for couples.
-People have been robbed here at night. Be careful. Being with just another person male or female won't matter.
-No lockers here so keep an eye on your belongings

*****Tips for day time:
-Bring two towels, one for the ground and one to dry yourself off
-Bring drinks and snacks. When I have visited, I haven't seen vendors with food, but maybe I'm not so lucky. However, I would think it would be expensive
-Bring your own snorkel gear if you can so you don't have to spend money
-If the current is strong, I do suggest some fins so you don't tire yourself out
-Look at the flags to see if the current is too dangerous for yourself or for young children. I have seen two adults be pulled back to shore by a life guard on duty already.
-If you enjoy snorkeling and you're a decent swimmer, go farther out by some of the flags. There's more coral out there and more to see.
-If you're on your own, bring a water proof bag you can bring your keys and belongings with into the water. Kids and adults are running around here so don't just assume your belongings are safe.
-Bring sun screen.
-If you have a beach chair, it's nice to bring and to put in the grassy areas for some shade.
-If you like to shampoo/condition your hair, I have seen many people bring their soap in order to clean up after swimming.
-Ypao is a nice place to read a book and play music (instruments) so entertain yourself here.
-Bring your camera but keep it safe. It's a nice place for photography both above and under water.

*****Tips for Night time:
-Come with a group of people for safety! I honestly cannot stress this enough. Two people aren't enough. You may end up being safe, but it isn't worth the risk.
-When I came, we brought music, it was really nice.
-Bring flash lights if you can.
-Try to bring bags to dispose of cans, bottles, etc. at night. Many people are not considerate and just throw it to the side. Be a respectful visitor!

***** Side notes:
- I have been warned about cone snails, but I don't really pick up sea shells too often. These can be dangerous so just be careful.
- If you're near the grassy area wear sandals or flip flops since I have seen broken glass in these spots.
- Bring extra batteries if you're taking under water photos. You have to work with the current sometimes and may end up spending more time in the water than planned.
- Be considerate of others and try not to blast your music ridiculously loud.
- My friends and I brought a frisbee out here and a football to amuse ourselves.
- Bring everything with you, do not put valuables in your car. If you do, make sure you hide it out of view!

14  Thank mzzazn
Reviewed October 22, 2014

it's a very nice beach with a lot local people hanging out there. it has picnic tables, a small park for kids, and a nice lawn. i like to jog along the beach every morning and stop at Ypao beach and swim. the water is usually calm and warm. i like this beach.

1  Thank Angel W
Reviewed October 15, 2014

I, my wife and my son went there twice during our five days vacation in Guam. We just love it.It's a very good place for snorkeling and swimming, and very QUIET.