“A week in Guam”

Ranked #18 of 20 Hotels in Tumon
Colonia, Yap FSM
“A week in Guam”
Reviewed December 19, 2012

Finally got a vacation after a year plus on an outer island of Guam. I stayed at the Grand Plaza and really enjoyed it. Pool, a couple of blocks from the beach, great shopping available, even the red shuttles to Micronesia Mall and K-Mart. The staff was helpful and friendly. They always had a smile and a greating for you.

Room Tip: Third floor, next to the pool and great internet.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Bob H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Kathmandu, Nepal
Reviewed March 23, 2012

I stayed a night this month and found this hotel okay for a short stay. This is really close to many restaurants and bar in this area and downtwon is just next door. The rooms are okay and cost effective, comapre to other big hotels in Guam. I suggest this for a transit stay but not for long holiday, unless you are tight with budget.

Room Tip: No matters if you stay for a night. Not really any room that have a nice view from.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
San Diego, CA
Reviewed August 16, 2011

Grand Plaza Hotel is a not a place to stay. First of all, there's no customer service and if you're not a Japanese tourist, they will tell you that there's no room available even if they just told you a couple of minutes ago that they do have some rooms for you. Just because they get more money from the Japanese tourist than local or even for military. The Chinese manager or owner is a racist- she's the one who told the receptionist that they don't have any rooms anymore because she saw that we're not Japanese. She's not even in the computer- how would she know that? We stayed on the same hotel 4 years ago (because we arrived in Guam in the middle of the night- paying for taxis are expensive too) but looked for another hotel the very next day. The room is dirty, very old and it stinks. You can find a BETTER hotel somewhere else with the same price!!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
8 Thank Jackie0607

Travelers are raving about these Tumon hotels

Ayase, Japan
Reviewed August 8, 2011

Disappointed in the hotel. It was very old, dirty, and in need of major renovations. The room had a very fowl smell which made it an uncomfortable stay. For an additional $20 a night you can stay across the street at a hotel located right on the beach and that is much cleaner. I would not recommend staying here.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ayasesensei
Paranaque, Philippines
Reviewed July 27, 2011

My mom and I kind of decided our trip to Guam the last minute. We found a reasonably priced hotel that has good location and we found this. It's a no frills place and it feels like you're in a "neighborhood". The general atmosphere of Guam is it is tourist friendly but what I like about Grand Plaza is that it has all the convenient places in its vicinity: an ABC Store (where we got our water and souvenirs), a salon, it's just a 5 minute walk from all the major stores like DFS and restaurants, and the best beach front is right in front of their area (after the road). Though the rooms are quite old they're clean and has the basic amenities. The staff are friendly too especially the front desk girl who checked us in. We got our free breakfast from the cafe next door ran by Japanese girls (the cutest cafe I've seen; it's like Hello Kitty and Kerokeroppi are going to pop out anytime), Veryberry. They have good and dainty sandwiches and their cherry coffee is awesome. I'd still stay in this hotel if I have the chance to go back to Guam.

• Stayed December 2010
2 Thank isateresa
Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed September 2, 2010

I could not believe how awful the room was. This place has not been updated in over 20 years! The bathtub was BLACK and STAINED and really disgusting. The drain in the sink was rusty. The wood doors were peeling. The refridge was not working properly. The beds sagged and were very uncomfortable. The pool looked dirty and uninviting. I really regret staying at the Grand Plaza. I suppose you get what you pay for! Stay elsewhere!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
3 Thank U99A
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 18, 2010

OK, I'll be blunt. This place is no five star resort. If you are looking for luxury or grand service, this is not the place for you. I was on a 2 week trip here thanks to free airline tickets I had but no hotel. So of course, I was worried about spending a fortune if I wanted to stay here for 2 weeks. Well, this place was my bargain basement savior.

I paid less than $1000 for 2 weeks here, and this hotel is right on the beach. I'm talking walking distance. Its not walking distance to the downtown area shops but still a great location. We were able to buy bus passes and went all over the island with it, and the bus stops right in front of the hotel.

The rooms were clean and basic, bring your own shampoo/soap(you CAN use the pump soap thing they have in the shower, but I didn't), air conditioner worked great(really important in Guam!), and the front desk staff was polite but pretty laid back(its a Guam thing, I heard).

The hotel is connected to an ABC store, which sells EVERYTHING. I purchased everything - $5 sandals, $17 bikini, $2 box of macadamia nut chocolates, $1 hot dog/coke special, $15 sun dress, 5/$1 postcards, and souvenirs for all my friends and family were purchased here because it was really the cheapest place in all of Guam! LOL. I loved the ABC store, the people working there got to know us quite well! Besides the ABC store though, there were many places to eat within walking distance, including a Ramen house, an Italian restaurant, a coffee cafe, a Mexican restaurant, and a Burger King.

The internet/computer room was empty most of the time, and it wasn't air conditioned, but for some reason, it didn't get hot.

They also were supposed to have a shuttle that picks you up from the airport...unfortunately, when I arrived at the airport, I couldn't get anyone to pick up the phone. Maybe it was because we arrived at 2am, but that was really my only disappointment. But they DID follow through and take us to the airport when it was time.

I came here expecting a dump, so my expectations weren't too high. However, this place is far from being a dump. I was pretty pleased for what I paid.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank WonderCat314
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tumon
Guam Plaza Hotel
#12 of 20 in Tumon
Guam Reef & Olive Spa Resort
Holiday Resort & Spa Guam
Oceanview Hotel & Residences

Been to Grand Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!