“Sun,sea and shopping!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 20 Hotels in Tumon
Cairns
“Sun,sea and shopping!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

Had a wonderful trip to the Westin resort with my partner and overall I couldn't fault the hotel..... Our room was very comfortable and well maintained by the housekeepers despite the fact it looked like a bomb had hit it after all our shopping.
The food was excellent...especially breakfast in the Taste restaurant...a feast that set you up for the rest of the day. We also had a very pleasant Italian evening in Prego on the 2nd floor I believe.
I love to go to the beach and the hotel was right on a beautiful powder white sandy beach which gently sloped into the turquoise sea...idyllic!
The ONLY complaint I have is that there were only a handful of sun umbrellas on the beach and most of the sun loungers were exposed to the the fierce heat of the sun...please can we have more parasols??
Overall we had a wonderful stay and if you enjoy shopping you will be in heaven....

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nightsister45
Guamwestin, Team Leader at The Westin Resort Guam, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Dear nightsister45,

Hafa adai! Thank you for your recent stay with the Westin Resort Guam, and taking the time to post your review.

We are delighted to hear that you and your partner had a wonderful stay experience with us. Particularly, we are delighted that you found your Room to be comfortable and well maintained, Breakfast at Taste Restaurant and dinner at Prego Italian Restaurant to be memorable.

Thank you for sharing your experience of having enjoyed our beautiful beach, as well. We have taken a note of your valued feedback about the beach parasol and this was shared with the respective department for improvement.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Westin Resort Guam for your next Guam vacation.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

Due to a reroute - we happened to find ourselves at the Westin Guam. It was an excellent resort. The front desk, especially Edward provided a level of service which was above and beyond! The hotel itself is well located as it has the best piece of beach in Guam (hotel wise). The best option for breakfast was the buffet - more bang for your buck! Free wi-fi was found in the lobby only and the room products (shampoo, conditioner, etc...) are excellent! Across the street and a short walk away is an ABC store, as well as may dining options. We overlooked the ocean - which was a major bonus. The housekeeping staff was excellent too!

Room Tip: High floors with an ocean view - you won't be disappointed! The rooms are much quieter.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank unitednationsofwine
Guamwestin, Team Leader at The Westin Resort Guam, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Dear unitednationsofwine,

Thank you for choosing the Westin Resort Guam during your recent visit to Guam, and for taking your time to share your thoughts and experience.

We are very much delighted to hear that our front desk staff, particularly Edward was able to assist you beyond your expectation. We also appreciate your compliment toward our breakfast, housekeeping staff and our amenities.
Thank you for your kind words and we hope you will honor us with a second visit on your next Guam visit that we may continue to provide the highest level of hospitality to make you feel special.
Canadian in Dubai
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here for our honeymoon. We stayed on the club floor. Room was very nice and looked out onto the ocean. Fantastic view to wake up to every morning. Club floor host was very nice, although they were very busy during breakfast period and had trouble keeping all the items stocked.
We enjoyed our stay, and would stay here again. However, we noted in our reservation, and in emails to the concierge desk before we arrived that we were there on our honeymoon. It was very disappointing that not one person we came in contact with acknowledged this special occasion for us. I expect more from a hotel chain of this level.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Viking10,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback about your recent stay with the Westin Resort Guam. We are honored that you chose to stay with us on this very special occasion.

Please accept our sincere apology that we did not make your wife and you feel that extra special on this very important occasion. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed our Royal Beach Club and your overall stay to be a good experience.

I sincerely hope that you will give us another opportunity that we may exceed your expectation in the Westin Resort Guam’s commitment to deliver the best guest experience possible.

We look forward to welcoming you in near future.
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

Went to Guam with boyfriend to see a friend who lives there and thought it might be nice to spend a couple of nights at one of the resorts. Went for the Westin at friend's recommendation. Booked the Royal Beach Club room which included use of the executive floor equivalent (Royal Beach Club lounge on L21) cocktail hour and continental breakfast. Sounded good!

Check in at 'VIP' check in - no major issues except when I provided my address (central Tokyo) the two staff on duty (Japanese liaison and Korean liaison officers I think...) said "oooh, rich people!" which frankly I thought was tasteless...

Next, decided to take the friend to the Royal Beach Club lounge for a nice cup of tea, only to be told by the staff member who checked me in that only family and friends who are staying in-house can be brought to the exec floor. I told her that the conditions I had signed said that "Family and friends of in-house guests may use the Royal Beach Club - fees may apply" but she kept asking for my friend's room number. Appreciate that English was not her first language but conditions were fairly clear. Less than 30 minutes in and NOT happy.

Went back to room to find that the wall next to the toilet had a snot mark on it - yes, previous guest had picked nose and wiped it on the wall next to the toilet...and housekeeping hadn't noticed.

At this point, paying over US$250 per night, felt the need to complain. Went to the front desk and explained the two issues above. I showed the lady on the desk the T&Cs and she agreed that I was permitted to take friends/family to the Royal Beach Club lounge. Promised to send housekeeping to clean the wall but they never showed. At this point, lady who checked me in (Japanese liaison) had spotted me and tried to explain to me that the English T&Cs were wrong / out-of-date / whatever (Westin caters primarily to Japanese tourists) and that they needed to be updated. She indicated that not much could be done (had requested to move to a standard room with a full breakfast) because I had booked through a third-party (hotels.com) despite my being a SPG. Think that, but don't say it - is my advice. Pretty unimpressed.

Resigned to the fact that I was stuck, thought I'd make the most of it. Went to cocktail hour in the RBC. Let's just say I needed to lower my expectations even further. 'Cocktail' means about 5-6 spirits and about 3-4 mixers. You make your own drinks. On the bright side, the cheese plate was good...

Next morning, went to the continental breakfast in the RBC lounge. Pastries rubbery and scrambled eggs grey. Decided to go for the cereal and fresh fruit. Can't really mess those up.

Beach cabana after that. Nice enough but not really worth paying extra for.

That evening, a bit peckish and still smarting from the rather average continental breakfast, ordered the all day breakfast from room service. Expensive for what I got and eggs not cooked to order. Sigh.

Next day was better but spent most of it outside the hotel.

In short, would not stay there again. Realise that initial experience led to major confirmation bias but hotel should've tried harder and not made excuses...

Next three days we hired a car and stayed at the Santa Fe Hotel in Tamuning (away from tourist central), snuck into the Hotel Nikko to use the water slides (food MUCH cheaper poolside here), drove around the island and ate at the local restaurants. Was a lot more fun!

Room Tip: Royal Beach Club not worth it.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars
6 Thank jurimi
Guamwestin, Team Leader at The Westin Resort Guam, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Hafa Adai, Ms. jurimi,

We sincerely thank you for choosing the Westin Resort Guam during your recent visit to our beautiful island, and for taking the time to share your thoughts and experience.

We are pleased to hear you enjoyed the beach front cabanas and the cheese selection offered during the evening cocktails in our Royal Beach Club Lounge. In contrast, we have taken note of your experience regarding your check-in, Royal Beach Club lounge access, lounge breakfast and room cleanliness. It is truly regretful that we failed to meet your expectations; it certainly was not our intention or reflects our team’s commitment to deliver the best guest experience possible; and for this we sincerely apologize. Please be assured that we take all feedback very seriously, it will strengthen our efforts and commitment to provide personal service and to ensure the level of service and faculties are consistent with the highest standards.

Should your future travel plans bring you back to Guam, we hope to be given another opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel, so you may experience a restful and pleasant stay. Until next time, be well. With warmest regards, The Westin Resort Guam.
Chappell Hill, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

The Westin's location is reason enough to stay there while in Guam as it's near all major stores and restaurants on the strip. In addition to the location, the hotel and rooms are upscale and clean without the musty smell so prevalent in Guam hotels. My check-in experience was flawless and the staff very courteous.

There's a Starbucks coffee bar in the lobby and several restaurants, stores and bars on the property.

The pool and beach are easily accessed and well maintained with beach rentals available on the property.

They have WIFI but only in the lobby. It was fast enough for a VOIP call and streaming through Netflix. The rooms are ethernet cable only so bring your router if you need WIFI in the room. They told me at the desk that total WIFI is being planned.

Room Tip: Try to get beach side rooms or a high floor as the noise level is less.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank rexaboyd
West Lafayette, IN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

My husband and I visited Guam (expats in China) in July. It wasn't too hard to pick a hotel as we are platinum SPG members. When we arrived at the hotel, they were clearly fully booked. We landed early in the morning and were prepared to have to wait to check in (bathing suits ready for beach laying in our carry on). However, they could not find our reservation in the system. Then after digging out the reservation confirmation, apparantly our platinum status did not show up in their system. Which is fine, but it seems we had to keep telling them every time we asked a question that was a perk of platinum status. The gentleman at the desk was not accomodating a little bit snotty about not being able to check us in early at all (he checked in 2 people in front of us. When we asked why there were able to check in and not us, his answer is they are corporate accounts). Anyway - even though they kept telling us we could check in at 2p (normal check-in time) our room wasn't available until 3pm. By this time we really just wanted to get a shower (having flown overnight). They didn't even tell us we could get a shower at the gym facilities! This really was just the beginning of the below average service we recieved from the front desk.

About the hotel facilities - the beach is very nice on this strip and the Westin doesn't seem to get too many people outside of the hotel guests. As long as you arrive in the morning to the beach, you can get beach chairs with umbrellas. There is a barrier to the ocean, so for 100 yards + it is very calm and barely waist deep. Snorkeling was not bad. Some places were a bit run down, but nothing that really bothered us (rooms are a little outdated, but certainly were fine for us & maintained pretty good). Each day they didn't clean our room until after 2 or 3pm.

Guam caters to Japanese tourists. As Americans, we were the minority. Finding fliers about the bus route were hard to get in English. Again - we had to ask the front desk, but the Japanese fliers were out on the displays. Breakfast was subpar for other Westins we have visited. One plus was the tea was very good.

If you want to go anywhere - you can pretty much find a bus or walk (to the strip close to the Westin). Getting a taxi is super expensive, so if you want to venture on your own beyond whats walking distance from the Westin, rent a car.

Also, depending on what time you arrive at the airport, taxis may or may not be around. YOu may have to wait awhile - but not bad if you already adjust to island time.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
3 Thank enginerd
Seoul, South Korea
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

I stayed at Westin Guam in the first week of August. This was my second family vacation in Guam (2 adults + a 4-year old).

Anyone looking for a hotel in Guam would notice that there are three expensive options (Outrigger, Westin, and Hyatt), and then all the other hotels, including well-known brands like Hilton and Sheraton, are priced significantly cheaper. After staying at the Sheraton Laguna resort last year, and then at the Westin this year, I sort of get the picture, which I'll try to describe with my best effort.

In Guam, there is only one good beach, and it is the Tumon. It is a rather long beach, and about 10 properties seat on it. Whether a hotel has a direct access to the Tumon beach or not seems to be the first price-deciding factor. Sheraton, which seats on a reef and does not have an access to the Tumon beach, costs about 120 USD/night. Westin, with its direct access to the Tumon beach, costs 220 USD/night, despite being similar in terms of room quality and hotel facilities.

Hotels on the Tumon beach other than the Outrigger, Hyatt, and Westin are priced cheaper (~150 USD/night?) because, I think, of some quality difference. My only supporting evidence is that the above-mentioned hotels looked cleanest on the outside, and I lack a first-hand experience on the cheaper hotels (Santa Fe, PIC, etc.) to make a solid statement.

Now the Outrigger. A room there costs nearly 300 USD/night, and I actually ventured onto its property to see if it was really that special. I couldn't find much evidence on the beach or at the swimming pools. My guess is that the Outrigger is more expensive than the Westin or the Hyatt because it sits right at the center of the shopping district as well, while the Westin, and the Hyatt are slightly off-center (by about 500 m).

Coming back to the Westin, our room on the 18th floor was clean, and the decor was quite pleasing. The bathroom was clean and spacious, with a bath tub and a separate shower booth. The swimming pool was okay. The beach was great. Having grocery stores and restaurants right across the street proved very convenient.

I had rented a car throughout my stay, and on hindsight I might have done differently. Having a car was great when I was staying at the Sheraton last year, but at Westin things are close enough that you don't really need a car every day, and parking at the Westin is less convenient (underground parking).

Is Westin a better hotel than the Sheraton in my opinion? Definitely. And it's mostly because of the direct beach access. But was Westin really the right choice for me? That's a bit more difficult to answer.

I seek to return to Guam next year for a third visit, and I want to try a slightly more economical option like the PIC or the Santa Fe resort. The Westin was very good, but I have a vague feeling that I'll be okay with something slightly less good and less expensive.

Room Tip: I booked the hotel directly through the starwood group website. To do that I had to become a SPG (St...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
8 Thank BhismaL
Guamwestin, Team Leader at The Westin Resort Guam, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
Hafa Adai BhismaL ! Thank you for rating us 4 out of 5 points! We greatly appreciate your compliments about our facilities and we are very pleased to hear that you like our prime location and the gorgeous stretch of white sandy beachfront that our guests are so privileged to enjoy. We value your feedback on the other mentioned areas and have passed along the information to the management to review.

Again, thank you so much for taking the time to share a detailed review of your stay. It is encouraging to know you feel that we are a very good hotel in comparison to other properties in Tumon. We surely hope to welcome your family back in the not too distant future. Until then, be well! The Westin Resort Guam.