“Mold Abounds”

Hilton Guam Resort & Spa
Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Tumon
Reviewed October 18, 2013

Never stay at the Guam Hilton...especially if you are allergic to mold. The room had an exquisite view but the mold was black and thick in the bathtub, sink, and wall tiles. The room smelled horribly and the lobby, with marble floors, had trash cans everywhere for the ceiling water leaks from rain. Horrible experience!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
4  Thank Sylvia G
Johnny L, Manager at Hilton Guam Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2013

Dear Sylvia,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Hilton Guam Resort & Spa based on your family's visit to the hotel.

Please accept my sincere apology for any of the hotel's service or product shortcomings during your family's recent stay. I assure you and your family that the hotel team works tirelessly to provide an experience that exceeds expectations and there is frequent reinvestment in the property.

We value all guests' differing opinions, as they assist the hotel team and management in either recognizing areas worthy of praise or areas needing improvement. Your comments have been discussed with the hotel team for general review and action, although more precise resolutions can be accomplished with your further feedback on particular issues you and your family encountered during your stay. Please contact us directly by E-mailing guam@hilton.com. This way, we'll be able to better serve all our valued guests and we hope to earn your business again.

Johnny Lee

Reviewed October 14, 2013

Beware, I read some of the reviews and thought some people were just being picky. They were not !! Some people just have very low expectations.
This was my fist disappointment with a Hilton hotel. Should have been sold off to a cheaper chain long ago. They have no reason to charge what they do as they do not have the sevice, facilities or amenities expected. The main lobby is OK with some expensive stores but the rooms are junk. I was in Hilton Honours section but room was old, carpet threadbare with actual holes as well as being very dated. Furniture old and well used, bathroom mouldy and shower door hinges looked a little sketchy so I was hesitant to open all the way. Impossible to sleep as air conditioner made an unbelieveable racket and was clearly on its last legs.
That was just the first night. Woke up to find the main pool had no water, pool slide was closed and other pools were green. Had to work our way to the beach through workmen and hard hat area. Eventually a Security Guard stopped us and was the first person to give directions.
The beach bar was closed and being used as a workman's cafeteria for the construction gang. In short, none of the advertised facilities were available but they were charging full price.
View from room was nice. Really can't think of anything positive unless to say that staff was honest and told us only two other rooms were available and they had much noisier air conditioners (although that is hard to believe given the racket of the a/c in my room.)

Room Tip: If you want a good room go to another hotel.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank HowardNS
Johnny L, Manager at Hilton Guam Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2013

Dear Howard,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Hilton Guam Resort & Spa based on your visit to the hotel.

Please accept my sincere apology for any of the hotel's service or product shortcomings during your recent stay. I assure you and your family that the hotel team works tirelessly to provide an experience that exceeds expectations and there is frequent reinvestment in the property.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

Its a biggest mistake ever to stay in Hilton. I am giving a rating of 1/10.

Good points:
- Bed is very comfy.
- Free WiFi in lobby and computer available in Business Centre located at level 1.
- Dive shop named blue persuasion located at basement was excellent. Their service and gears were superb.
- shuttle service is convenient and accessible to most places like DFS, 2 lover points etc. There are 2 versions either heading towards North or South Bound.
- Chamorro village is only open on every Wednesday night and i believe its the highlight of the entire Guam trip. Shuttle service is available.

Bad points:
- Customer service is very very poor in this hotel. Staff are not professional in offering their explanations and rending assistance to guests.
- i notice there's a service variation among different nationalities guests which was not pleasant.
- Tree bar and pool is on maintenance and i only get to know about this upon my arrival. It was not even list on their website.
- I booked a king room with facing sea view, and i was given a wrong room after my long haul flight and requested front desk to check but was informed i did not make any reservation. Fortunately, i was brought along my hotel reservation slip to verify my booking. I was asked to carry my luggage to my new room at 2 am despite it was an error made on their part by front desk lady named April Nicole.
- Breakfast selection spread was average given in 5 star hotel context. Service and attitude of staff are extremely poor.
- Was directed to Pacific hotel (PIC) to use their pool facilities.
- Room is extremely dated even its located in new wing tower. Carpet are sticky. lights are faulty. Frankly, everything in this hotel is falling apart.
- There are hardly any explanation directions or signage in English though Staff are able to converse in English. Its generally a Japanese and Korean guests' paradise.
- There are shuttle buses services outside the hotel, but its in non-English. Purchase 2 day bus pass at US$ 17 each (inclusive of free WiFi on bus) would be a good option.
- Mini taxi are too expensive!
- Aircon are too cold in room.

For sure, i am not returning to this Hilton in Guam ever again. Its simply not value for money. Spend your money elsewhere.

Suggests to stay in Pacific hotel (PIC), Royal orchid for their good location.

Check out my pictures for more information.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank AIREN

Dear Airen,

We are very happy that you've enjoyed our comfy beds and our amenities.

Reviewed October 12, 2013

I had stayed at this hotel twice, once by choice, and recently because the rest of the hotels in Tumon were booked. After over 20 hours of traveling, one would think that a Hilton hotel that has the words "resort and spa" after it would be a place to relax and unwind. Nope.

Arriving on a very early morning flight and driving my rental car to the hotel, there was no valet at the front of the hotel, or anyone else for that matter, so I parked my car in the furthest parking stall possible since the parking lot was full; dragged my jet lagged body and luggage through the parking lot and finally reached the reception area sweaty and irritated.

Check in was "okay." I didn't expect a fanfare welcome or a pleasant smile, and of course I didn't get one. The process felt a robotic, and I didn't get the usual "enjoy your stay." I was simply shown to the elevators where I went to my floor. This was fine because I wanted to go straight to my room and rest after the long flights.

The room was old-looking and was falling apart. There was mold all over the bathroom, from the sink, to the bathtub, the tile and around the corners. There were stains (looked like mold) on the ceilings of the room, uncovered outlets, a broken faucet...and the smell. It reeked of mold. Since the hotel was fully booked, I could not get another room.

Needless to say, my stay was not enjoyable and it became downright intolerable at one point because of the smell. I would not stay at this hotel again, and I am surprised that they allowed this type of room to be occupied.

If there was one redeeming quality about the hotel, it was the sea views from that location, it was awesome, especially during the very early morning hours.

**I had recently flown to Guam again in late September, but this time stayed at a different hotel on the island. I was glad I did because there was a gas explosion at the hotel which injured several people. It was local headlines, and the guests had to be evacuated.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank Morgan L

Dear Morgan,

Reviewed October 12, 2013

Just had a two night stay here, on the way to Yap.
I was upgraded to a room with a lovely view of the bay. The room was nice, no fridge though, which would have been nice.
The pool was closed, but I sat by the beach anyway, so it didn't bother me.
I walked to the the main shopping area, which took about 35 minutes. I knew prior to booking that tis hotel was at the far end of Tumon.
Lovely hotel overall, friendly staff, nice environment.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo

Dear Wendy,

Thank you so much for your kind review! We are very happy to serve you during your stay.

We are very happy that you've enjoyed your stay.

For your next visit, I highly recommend trying our Islander Terrace Restaurant. We feature a nightly themed buffet dinner that is bound to exceed your expectations.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

This places needs a deep cleaning! As a Hilton Honors member I can honestly say this stay was not up to Hilton standards. Yuck - Black mildew in the shower, dirty carpets, water stained furniture, bugs of some sort in the bathroom and safe area. No desk chair or notepads with pen. No ironing board and a really crummy iron. One pool was empty and another area appeared to be under construction. Don't plan on getting a sit down lunch after 1:30pm either and breakfast buffet at $27.50 is outrageous.

On a positive note - Roy's for sushi, seafood and steaks was excellent.

• Stayed: October 2013
3  Thank wheresGB

Dear WheresGB,

Reviewed October 9, 2013

Pro - Clean rooms, bathroom & Excellent Staff. Club room Breakfast was good (even if the selection was limited) Cons - pools are small and outdated. If you stay in the Club Room, be prepared to make a long walk to the TASI CLUB bldg. Hotel is located in the older part of town.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
1  Thank Christine B

Dear Eduardo,

Thank you for your reviews regarding our hotel. We are happy that you enjoyed our clean rooms and excellent staff. The next time you visit, I highly recommend our Roy's Restaurant or our Tropics BBQ all you can eat steak and lobster buffet with free flowing house beer!

Johnny

Also consider these accommodations in or near Tumon
Hyatt Regency Guam
Sheraton Laguna Guam Resort
Hotel Nikko Guam
Hotel Nikko Guam
#5 of 20 in Tumon

Been to Hilton Guam Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!