“Nice location, hotel tired”

Hilton Guam Resort & Spa
Ranked #7 of 20 Hotels in Tumon
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Nice location, hotel tired”
Reviewed January 10, 2013

I stayed here for a couple of nights and liked the place but it was tired and in need of some refurbishment. The bar closes at 10pm which seems like madness and lots of people who came for a drink in the evening were turned away - why do this?
It is a nice place for a stopover though.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Howard G
Johnny L, Manager at Hilton Guam Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 27, 2013
Dear Howard G,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Hilton Guam Resort and Spa. The staff and management are appreciative of your feedback and comments.

We do agree we have a great location and as you mentioned, we are an older 5 star hotel and we strive for the best service possible. We apologize the rooms were not up to your standard, however be assured management is looking to renovate the hotel in the next couple years. Your comments regarding extending our Tree Bar hours will be taken in consideration for 2013.

We are hopeful you will consider us again should you ever return to Guam. We thank you for your patronage and look forward to welcoming you back!

Johnny

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Four of our friends spent 4 days after Christmas of 2012 at this hotel. I traveled all the way from Seattle and did not expect this level of service. Breakfast was very mediocore.
Music was so loud from the treebar that we can hear it all night long. There were ants crawling in our room. Televsion did not work half of the time despite our request to repair it. Worst of all Hotel RAN OUT OF WATER in the entire hotel on our last night of stay. The management just directed us to use the gym to shower, brush teeth. Did we pay to stay at a hostel or hilton????? the only compensation was to go sandwiches and coffee from the bar. is that really acceptable?

only good thing was decent location and free parking..and free slow wifi. but good view of beach

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank yachiman
Johnny L, Manager at Hilton Guam Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear Yachiman,

Greetings from Hilton Guam Resort & Spa!

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our hotel. I am certainly disappointed that your stay at was not up to your expectations.

I would like to apologize on behalf our hotel and its team for your stay.
The lack of service with our television and our Hilton team with regards to your comments is certainly not typical; we are currently repairing all T.V. systems in our rooms in order to provide all of our guests with HD cable and additional T.V. Channels. I apologize if this operation caused any interruption with your television service.

Regarding to our hotel running out of water, our main water line was damaged on your last night and we had to do an emergency repair to our main water line. We needed to turn off our water lines to complete the repair. I completely understand the frustration you and many other guests may have experienced. I would like to contact you to further understand your mishap.

I am pleased that your stay within our rooms was memorable and you enjoyed the ocean view rooms that Hilton provides. I would take pleasure in welcoming you back so that you could experience Hilton Guam as it was meant to be.

Please feel free to contact myself directly when you visit Hilton Guam again so that I may personally take care of you and your next stay.

I would also like to contact you regarding your most recent stay and I wish to leave you a good last impression of our hotel.

Once again please do accept my apologies and I do hope that
the remainder of your trip to Guam was memorable.

Prescott, Arizona
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Visited Guam and stayed in the Hilton Hotel. Older hotel but clean, Everyone was friendly. The house keeping dept would visit and ask if everything was ok and if they could do any thing else to make our stay wonderful. We were on the executive level and had a beautiful view from our room across the bay. The executive lounge had a nice variety of breakfast items different each morning. In the evening we enjoyed social hour with drinks and a nice selection of appetizers.Our drinks were served as we sat down. Never had to ask for a refill on anything. The outside bar had entertainment in the evenings. Beautiful grounds and warm ocean water to walk in, bring shoes of some sort because it is a coral beach. Flip flops didn't work very well. You could walk to the downtown area in a somewhat short amount of time. Taking the sidewalk was easier than along the beach. It was difficult to imagine a war being fought years ago on the grounds the hotels were built on. Some reminders are still there if you look close in the vegetation. My husband lived here for about 6 weeks due to his job. He has now been moved to the Westin. Totally different atmosphere because it is new and directly in the downtown area.

Room Tip: Ask for a view room of the bay.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Johnny L, Manager at Hilton Guam Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Dear Amy_H,

Greetings from Hilton Guam!

It is great to hear a comment from a long stay guest! I am glad you were comfortable and happy
residing in our executive floors! You should definitely try our Tropics BBQ fire dance show with all you can eat steak and lobster buffet the next time you visit us on Guam. Also, if you want a sandier and a more feet friendly beach, I recommend the Ypao Beach Park that is 2 minute walking distance from our hotel. This is rated one of the best beaches on Guam and it is right next to Hilton!

Also, the walking distance to downtown is not too far, but I recommend taking our free taxi service to the Duty Free Galleria. All of our taxi service is free for our guests and Duty Free is the center of the Tumon Bay. It is only a 2 minute Taxi Ride but it is quite convenient.

We wish that you will visit and stay with us again in the near future.

Thank you so much and have a wonderful day.

Hiroshima Prefecture, Japan
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Booked our 3rd time stay well in advance (3 months) and this time booked 2 Tasi club rooms. Previous stays were in Premier Tower rooms. Requested connecting rooms in the reservation and also contacted the hotel directly for this request. It couldn't be guaranteed which is partly understandable although I expect this can be planned. Arriving at the hotel with my family (3 young kids) I was told by the Tasi club clerk that there were no connecting rooms available and rooms on the 2nd and 4th floor were offered. This wasn't acceptable for me and the very helpful Japanese Tasi club supervisor made a lot of effort re-arranging my rooms.
We ended up the 1st night in the Tasi club Royal Suite (very nice room!) with the Tasi club benefits. I have read a lot about the Tasi club and most of it was true. Lounge area is far to small to serve all guests properly.
Nights 2 till 5 we were offered the main tower Mariposa Suite (704) and this exceeded all our expectations! Beautiful view of Tumon Bay. The suite has the floor surface of 5 normal rooms. A large dining table and small kitchen with fridge and microwave were very useful with the kids. Bathroom has a huge bath. Housekeeping service also without complain.
Had breakfast 3 times in the Islander Terrace and to my great surprise several staff recognized us from previous stays. This was really nice and no complaints about the service in general.
Swimming was good as always but sad thing was all the people reserving pool beds very early in the morning. Finding a place to sit later in the morning or beginning of afternoon can be troublesome.
Overall our stay started with some frustration about room planning/Tasi club but was completely compensated by the main tower suite. Despite this we will come back to Hilton again because it is an excellent place to go with young children.

Room Tip: Think twice before choosing Tasi Club. Mainly catering Japanese guest. Premier tower of main tower...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Jans_family
Dear Jans_Family,

Greetings from Hilton Guam and Happy New Years!

We apologize for the confusion prior to your arrival, but it seems that our staff met and exceeded your needs with an upgrade to our best Suites.

It is great to you that you thoroughly enjoyed our hotel’s facilities. We are increasing the amount of pool beds in our hotel and by the time you visit us next time, we will have pool beds for your relaxation.

We look forward for your next visit and please do not hesitate to contact us for any special accommodations. We will do whatever it takes to make your stay more comfortable.

I hope you had a great vacation in Guam.

Thank you so much.

Have a wonderful day.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed December 26, 2012

My recent second visit was a complete opposite and positive experience from the first two years ago! Rooms are now totally renovated and improved, with solid mattresses and tasteful furnishings. Although room service still needs better choices, there are good restaurants on site and the shuttle service to and from the airport is affordable and dependable. While this Hilton property is some forty years old, one would never know it by looking at the rooms and gardens, and it remains one of the most popular and busiest hotels on Guam.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank singabob
Johnny L, Manager at Hilton Guam Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Dear Singabob,

Greetings from Hilton Guam Resort & Spa!

I am glad you can see our efforts in renewing our hotel! The Main Tower is our first tower and it is one of our older towers. We are touching up, replacing, and renewing equipment everyday, and this process will continue until our Main Tower is fully renewed. We do our very best to provide you with quality service. I am glad you experienced and enjoyed our hospitality first hand.

I have taken your comment regarding our room service selection to our Food and Beverage department. When you return for your next stay, I wish you can see our improvement to our choices.

We wish you will return again in the near future. We will definitely make your next trip even more memorable. Please contact us and we will personally care of your next trip.

Thank you so much.

Have a great day.

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed December 20, 2012

I have stayed in many hilton hotels in the past. This hotel needs a renovation. Staff at the breakfast restaurant are very rude when you ask simple questions. Front desk personnel is awesome though, they go extra mile to help you. Has good restaurant in house. It's an O.K. experience. If not sold out, stay in Westin.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank mhmtkcn
Dear Mhmtkcn,

Greetings from Hilton Guam Resort & Spa!

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our hotel. I am certainly disappointed that your stay at our hotel was not up to your expectations.

I would like to apologize on behalf our hotel and our breakfast team for your experience.
The lack of professionalism with our food and beverage members and our lack of service with regards to your comments is certainly not typical, and I will be sure to raise your experience with our entire food and beverage team as a training exercise. I will ensure this will not be experienced by other guests in the future.

I am glad you had an awesome experience with our front desk staff. Customer Service is extremely important and we strive to serve all of our guests with Hilton hospitality.

Once again please do accept my apologies and I do hope that the remainder of your trip to Guam was memorable.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed December 14, 2012

I last stayed here over 10 years ago and it seem that little has changed. The room are standard Hilton format with nice beds and amenities, but the property itself needs work and has not changed much at all. As a Gold member I was upgraded to the newest tower however, they no longer allow Gold members access to the executive floor.

The hotel has 5 pools and a water slide but they are getting old.

The main problem with the hotel is service is horrible. My t.v. did not work and when I called the customer service number for help the phone just rang and rang and the operator eventually picked up and transferred me to the front desk and that rang and rang and no one picked up. This happened several times during my stay. Even when I went to the front desk a few employees milled around and you had to actually ask for help from one before they would pay attention to you. All the while the phone was ringing unanswered.

The hotel also nickels and dimes you. If you are not a Gold member or above in room internet is $15 a day. The hotel also charges $15 per person for the less than 2.5 mile trip to the airport (about 2 miles by the most direct route). A family of 4 would need to pay $60 for the trip. This used to be free then went to $5 then $10 and now $15. The hotel also profits from the scam taxi drivers run on tourists. A taxi company pays them for exclusive access but then grossly overcharges the guests. For example the trip to the airport is charged at around $19 even though the meter rate would be about a lot less than $9. The front desk told me that a guest was charged $35 for the trip and the hotel had to reimburse her. The other employees also just shrug and say it is "tourist price" and are fully aware of the rip off.

Until they pick up service and can provide reasonably priced airport transport I would avoid staying here

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear John G,

Greetings from Hilton Guam Resort & Spa!

I would like to apologize on behalf our hotel and team for your stay.Our standard procedure in this event would be to offer a room to you on a different room with a working t.v. service while we swiftly repair the t.v. that is experiencing technical difficulties.

The lack of professionalism with our front desk staff members and our lack of service with regards to your comments is certainly not typical, and I will be sure to raise your experience with our entire front desk service team as a training exercise. I will ensure this will not be experienced by other guests in the future.

Also, the prices for internet and shuttle are set to competitive prices with other hotels on the island. However, the comment regarding your taxi service experience will be communicated with our taxi service providers. We will ensure that no tourists will be overcharged by our taxi service.

Johnny
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tumon
Guam Reef & Olive Spa Resort
Hotel Nikko Guam
#5 of 20 in Tumon
Dusit Thani Guam Resort
Sheraton Laguna Guam Resort

Been to Hilton Guam Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!