“Excellent Staff! (and snorkeling)” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hilton Guam Resort & Spa

Hilton Guam Resort & Spa
Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Tumon
Arlington, Virginia
“Excellent Staff! (and snorkeling)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

I stayed at this property for 3 weeks in Aug/Sept on business. It was fantastic!!! I <3 Guam.

As a Hilton Gold member I was placed in the Premier Tower on the 10th floor. (Hhonors floor, not executive floor) The room was nice, bed was comfortable and housekeeping did a great job. My one complaint would be the mold/black spots in the shower caulking. I think it's unavoidable in Guam due to humidity and mold issues, I got used to it. Also, my remote didn't work but it was fixed promptly upon request.

*If you have an Apple product your wifi may be intermittent as they have issues with their set-up and compability of Apple products. An internet contractor came to my room to try to fix the issue but said it was a ongoing issue. I had wifi some days in the room but was able to pick-up everywhere else in the hotel due to lower security settings.

The Executive Lounge on 7th floor (available to Gold/Diamond members) was AWESOME. Beautiful view, AWESOME staff! Without the staff and the amenities here I would have had a different review of this hotel. Breakfast is offered daily (basic meat/cheese, salads, scrambled eggs, bacon/sausage, breakfast pastry, etc) I chose to dine downstairs at the Buffet most days because it's excellent! However, the evening reception offered from 5-8:30pm was outstanding. Complimentary beverages and light appetizers. (Veggies, fruit, dumplings, sandwiches, etc) The majority of my 'new friends' were met here throughout the 3 week stay! The staff learn your name and greet you upon arrival each time. Ariel is the best server and memorized my drink order (and everyone elses) after my first time in the lounge! He's friendly, hardworking and ALWAYS smiling. :-) The staff at the desk were quick to have my remote replaced and the internet contractor called upon my initial complaint. I can't express how great the Lounge staff were (are).

(When I approached the Front Desk Staff in the lobby about my Wifi problems they (2 people) proceeded to tell me that I did not have Wifi and it's not offered in the hotel without an Ethernet cord.) They talked to me like I didn't know what I was talking about after I had been using the Wifi for the past week! I'm not sure who informs them of the available amenities to guest rooms but they need a refresher course.) Thankful for the Exec Lounge staff! :)

The pool area is very nice but you must get there early to reserve a spot. As it is a popular tourist destination for nearby countries and the chairs fill-up quickly. The bar staff will walk around during the afternoon and serve drinks/food poolside. My favorite part of the outdoor amenities was the snorkeling. Tumon Bay is directly down the steps from the hotel and has BEAUTIFUL snorkeling. I went to K-mart to purchase a snorkel set for my 3 week visit. The hotel rents them for $20/day. The bay is shallow so you can walk all the way out and snorkel!

The hotel is located on the main 'hotel zone' of Tumon Bay and near restaurants/bars/clubs. They also have taxis and shuttle available for use. Parking at the hotel is free.

Tree Bar-The bar at the pool area of the hotel is great. The bartenders (Pat) are great and take care of you. Every night the area next to the pool bar hosts a Polynesian Show. Instead of buying the buffet tickets for the dinner/show, I would grab a drink at the Tree Bar with friends to watch the show. It's entertaining.

Fitness Center-HUGE for a hotel. It smelled a little mildewy...but again it's hard to control in Guam. The locker rooms are very nice with sauna and steam room! I enjoyed the fitness center, a lot!

The giftshop/store is very expensive and I would suggest buying whatever you need/want from K-Mart which is just up the street from the hotels.

Breakfast buffet has excellent food!!! I didn't eat any other meals at the hotel but they do offer a themed buffet everynight for dinner from $29.95-39.95. (The menu changes daily).

The elevators in the Premier tower are LOUD. It took a few days for me to adjust and I had to wear ear plugs everynight to sleep. If you're a light sleeper I would request a room AWAY from elevators--resulting in no view of the Bay.

Also, the SPA was under renovation while I was staying at the hotel. It's supposed to be opening Fall 2012..so any day now! (If not already)

Overall, I had an excellent stay at this property and it's credited to the genuinely NICE staff and people in Guam. I loved my stay and didn't want to leave! :)

Room Tip: Choose away from elevator if you're a light sleeper. **The best view is closest to the elevator...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Jenna C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
pasadena
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2012

Our arrival to the Island of Guam was one that was anticipated as it was one planned for business. We paid for our 13 year old to come along knowing that after our meetings we would be able to get a couple of hours of snorkeling in.

Arrival at the The Hilton in Guam was uneventful. We were greeting as expected and arrived to an Executive Business Suite on the 13th floor. Having arrived after mid-night, we could not appreciate what we expected to be a breath-taking view.

The suite was laid out comfortably. Immediately upon entry the left hand side was a guest bathroom, small, clean with granite counter top. This would become my daughters BM during our stay.

The small entry lead to a bar area, also on the left-hand side and flowed into a large sitting room area . FAcing the small window was a desk, ample with access to two plus for computers. I have stayed on our travels in several such advertised rooms for business and found that the desk was insufficient in size, to accomodate the requirements of two business people with four computers. I won out on the desk, my husband unfortunately was relegated to using his computer in the sitting area. Simply said, the business executive suite is a misnomer. The suite is a suite, but the business aspect was poorly if at all thought out.

To fairly represent our stay, I must add that the business suite to afford us the opportunity to work at the business center on the first floor. More on this later...

Because of our need to stay connected to our office, we immediately set up about pulling computers and the such out of our bags and realized that the extra bed required several times before arrivals had not been delivered as had been promised on at least 3 calls made to the hotel. (My husband plans every aspect of our stay to insure making requests several times for items that might be required, such as an extra bed, because of previous failure on behalf of hotels). Unfortunately for the Hilton, inspite of our diligence in requesting and confirming our request for a bed, we had to wait approximately one hour before the bed was delivered.

Once the child was placed in bed we connected and were informed that for every computer connected, we would have to pay a separate connection fee. In the morning we spoke to the manager who agreed that because we were in the executive suite that we would be charged a daily single fee. (Remember friends to clearly express your needs and expectations). We were able to eliminate all but two days of the single fee by expressing our dissappointment that a $600.00/day room would charge a connection fee to start with and not disclose this information at any time prior to our book it. Connect was once obtained was excellent for all computers, including two additional Ipads (my husband's and daughter's).

The master bedroom was ample, the sheets and bedding clean. Might I note, that the Hilton bed attire and bed are appealing to eyes. The decor was light tan and lent to a sense of relaxation that we welcomed. The bed was almost as comfortable as our own and we were able to sleep comfortably.

The master bathroom was large, and able to accomodate all three of us at any time with ample room to move around and "loiter" if we wished. There was a separate shower, a very large Jacuzzi fitting two, granite counter top. The hotel supplies were generous and included shampoo, condition, toilet kit, tooth brush set with paste, cap, and lotions. These were amply replaced daily. The towels were small, large and very large and always changed. At night more towels were offed at our door. We appreciate that, as we swam after work and showered again at night.

The negative:
1) The television in the room, a large flat screen had no connection and required 3 visits, and finally a call to management to fix.
2) The overhead fan, required two phone calls to fix
3) The master bedroom closet had mold on the walls. I took pictures. This finding suggested deferred maintenance and was disappointing. Having stated that, the mold was most prominent towards the ceiling and really did not pose a problem, other than for the unsightly appearance.
4) Of greater dissappointment was that housekeeping did not regularly vacumn the room. We were in and out and in the 9 days we were there, we were present for 5 of the nine cleaning times. The speed with which housekeeping went through the suite was evident in our inability to go without shoe wear. My suggestion is to specifically request that the room be vacumned and that the bathroom be swept.

With each complaint, Hilton immediately dealt witht he problem. It would have been best not to have to call housekeeping, but when we did, they responded positively.

The business executive suite was afforded the amenities of the 7th floor business breakfast. Simply stated it was a welcome surpise to enter a buffet with all breakfast selelctions, tastefully placed (no pon intended). Fresh coffee, milk and juices, all types of bread, fruit, salad, deli meats, scarambled eyes, bacon, sausage, pancakes, french toast. This buffet is included in the price of a business stay.

IN the afternoon you can come down for beer, nuts, sandwitches etc. For a family of three, I estimated that it saved us at least one hundred dollars a day. Take note, restaurants on Guam are pricy and did not meet our expectations of excellence. The Hilton breakfast was outstanding as was their afternoon offerings.

The VIEW:

BREATHTAKINGLY wonderful. The suite we were in was considered the room, or one of the rooms with the best view. I believe that any room facing the ocean would have taken your breath away. Accessibility to the beach was easy, the service on the beach was good. Towel are obtained in the gym (which by the way was good for a hotel).

I could go on, but its late. My advice friends....
1) Do your research and negotiate what you wish
2) Never get upset if things don't work out exactly as you wish. That is what management is for.

Room Tip: Primier Tower, avoid the old hotel. Any room ending in 70. For instance we stayed at 1370.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank msla_drsonny
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2012

Don't go to Guam expecting highly polished, state of the art properties on the beach; the climate and weather of the Pacific ages all properties well before their time. Most hotels on Guam are tired, weather-beaten and look the part. On a cloudy day, the resort area looks like scenes from the TV show “Life After People”. And guess what else? You don’t have a lot of options in the middle of the Central Pacific. Of your choices, the Hilton should be on your short list.

The Hilton Guam is a sprawling property that caters to Japanese tourists and weddings as a niche business—they do an excellent job. They also do a swell job taking care of the DoD members in and out of the island on official travel, so in that regard, they meet the needs of the business traveler very well.

- If you’re a family PCS’ing to the island and awaiting housing, go to the closest on-base grocery store and stock-up; hotel food for a young military family is unaffordable over an extended period of time. Your Dislocation Allowance and Temporary Living Expense Allowance will NOT cover your meal expenses.

- Room, King Standard in the “new” tower. Long foyer that keeps the room off the main hallway; spacious double closet, dry bar. Standard American-sized guest room, spacious bathroom with a HUGE soaking tub that borderlined on being a 2 person tub. Real Plantation shutters that cover the glass-sliding door and balcony. Internet connection excellent.
- If you’re a HHonors Gold Member or higher, be sure to get your access to the executive lounge with complimentary beverages in the early evening.

- Gym—Outstanding,and HUGE. Precor machines, free-weights, universals, sauna and steam room in the locker rooms.

- The breakfast in the main dining room was to die for—if you’re a HHonors Gold or higher, or on a DoD rate, it’s free, if not, $23. AWESOME selection—Japanese, Chinese, European, and American breakfasts all for your consideration. Chef standing by for a cooked-to-order omelet if you desire.

- Outdoor pool bar—lots of action; food decently priced for a hotel, catch the Polynesian show nightly, free from the bar, $65 if you have dinner and a ring-side table. Pools clean and well-kept

- Coffee bistro in the lobby—good coffee, all hand-made pours, but expensive.

I felt comfortable and at home in this Hilton property. The staff was helpful and energetic; the restaurant staff (1 person in particular) attentive to the point of remembering my name each morning, and the accommodations more than met my needs on a four-day stay. It’s a “go-to” property if you travel to Guam frequently.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank BruceLansing
Swansboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2012

The staff was phenomenal. Parking was free and if you would like to rent a vehicle for a day or two, there is a car rental place in the main lobby. The pools are nice as is the hot tub. We stayed in one of the suites, and it was worth every penny. It had one queen size bed, but they also brought in a rollaway for a child. The bathroom was almost as large as the living area and the view of the beach was just perfect. Memorable stay!

Room Tip: Go for the suite.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Myrtle Beach, SC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2012

Want beautiful views, pampering, convenience, comfort? This is the place. The only glitch was figuring out how the shower worked! The staff were unfailingly accommodating and courteous. Parking was convenient.

Room Tip: Go for the breakfast included option. It is worth the additional expense. Also, request a water vi...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank michael43
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2012

What an awesome property .... You get miles and miles of blue ocean view.... Larger rooms and balconies... Pool is fantastic and you walk out from the hotel to the white beach and coral reefs. Great place for a family vacation and having a quiet time

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank Kash8813
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2012

Hilton Hotel, Guam. Great place to stay. My wife and I stayed at this hotel for six nights in July 2012, the hotel itself is a bit further away from the main shops and restaurants. The hotel is located on the beach front and although the beach isn't anything to boast about the hotel itself and it's facilities are definitely family friendly, otherwise suitable for children. The staff are very helpful, courteous and professional. The facilities available there are tennis courts, table tennis tables, games room and several swimming pools to relax in / by with your loved ones. My only advice would be to get up early and get down to reserve a lounger next to the pool as there certainly aren't enough for all the guests and they get snapped up very early (9:00 am).

Room Tip: Beach front rooms are certainly worth having as the garden / mountain view rooms aren't anything...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tumon
Hyatt Regency Guam
#5 of 20 in Tumon
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,128 reviews
Dusit Thani Guam Resort
Sheraton Laguna Guam Resort

Been to Hilton Guam Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!