Hotel Nikko Guam
Ranked #4 of 20 Hotels in Tumon
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I was at the Nikko Guam last week for four nights, Room 828. The rooms are large and the view can be spectacular. Unfortunately, I reserved an ocean front room and was stuck in a room looking up the Tumon coast. 3/4 of the hotel rooms at the Nikko Guam will have the view I was looking for. I wanted blue, and nothing but blue, and had that expectation when I reserved. This was the first of several disappointments at the hotel. The second, arriving at night after a flight in from Japan, I wanted to check my mail. No WiFi, except in the lobby area. No LAN in the rooms. This really made me angry. When I asked at the front desk about it, the woman working there told me it would be $9 per hour to use the Internet in my room. There is free WiFi all over the island, even Denny's had it. For what is supposed to be a good hotel, in 2013, not to have it is simply bad policy. So, I found myself often after midnight sitting in the lobby with several other people checking mail instead of in my room checking my mail and relaxing. The third problem is towels. You have a hotel with a beach. In the room there are two bath towels (instead of the standard 4 at many good hotels). If you take a shower in the morning, then toss your towels in the tub (as they ask you to do), then head to the beach, if housekeeping hasn't come by the time you get back then you have no towels to shower and change. After the first time this happened, I began borrowing one of the blue beach towels and taking back to my room, then bringing the blue one back down to the beach before going out for the day. Major pain in the ***. Having gotten the bad points off my chest, the beach is great and much less crowded than Tumon. Most of the time I found only a couple other people on the beach. Lounging by the pool was nice, though the bar doesn't open until 11 and the selection is minimal in the off months. The hotel is a little bit away from the shopping area but the walk is pleasant. Would I stay at this hotel again? It depends on them. WiFi is a must, especially for those of us who need to keep in contact with work. And, if you advertise "all rooms are ocean front" as it says on your Japanese website the view had better be blue and not the lights of the other hotels down the coast.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank xClark-Griswoldx
Write a ReviewReviews (1,205)

Reviewed February 13, 2013

My family and I stayed this hotel for 8 nights.
What we like this hotel is lunch buffet. They have a lot of dishes and the food is different everyday. So we really enjoyed the lunch during our staying. Especially their bread is best in island I think !
They have nice beach, swimming pool area is so huge that our children loves them and likes to stay there all day.
I would really recommend this hotel and would love to stay there again with my family !!!

Room Tip: The room which is Tumon bay side has really great view !
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Etsuko
Reviewed November 11, 2012

We stayed at the Nikko for four nights during our10-day visit to Guam (we spent another five nights at the Westin). The service was good and the staff very friendly. However, the Hotel and especially the rooms are old and would need renovation. What's very nice is that each room has seaview and a nice balcony, from which you can watch the sunset. The beach is also very nice, unfortunately there are no cushions on the beach chairs, so it's very uncomfortable to lie there - that's why we had to buy pillows at K-Mart the first day we got there. Because of the reef it's also difficult to go for a swim (the water is too shallow), but it's a good place for snorkeling.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank filip84
Reviewed September 14, 2012

Nice rooms, EXCELLENT staff, beach is very nice and not connected to the rest of Tumon Bay. Nice for maintaining the atmosphere but makes it difficult to visit other locations on the bay. The breakfast buffet was (by American standards) CRAP. I mean sliced process cheese in the omelet from a $25 buffet??? Our company booked quite a few rooms and the hotel for some unknown reason booked several people in triple sharing rooms. When we discovered this and asked to correct the situation, they refused and didnt offer any compensation. No fitness facility, though there was free morning yoga. Over all a very mixed experience.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
7  Thank Scott M
Reviewed July 9, 2012

The Nikko is located at the less crowded end of Tumon. It has plenty of parking because most of the folks there are from Japan and they do not have cars because they take chartered tours. Lobby has the best breeze out of the hotels in Tumon. If you are into snorkling then this is the hotel you want to stay in. It is next to "Gun Beach" which is by far the best snorkling beach on Guam. If you go at Dawn you can often see some manta rays that come in to feed and then leave as the sun rises. Very quiet and clean rooms. Housekeeping does an outstanding job. Dowside is that they cater almost exclusively to the Japanese tourists and you can feel as if you are somewhat excluded. If you want to get some drinks in you and do not want to drive there is an excellent beach bar that opened up within the past year at the end of the street where the Nikko is located and is an easy 7-10 minute walk. Well worth visiting one of the evenings you are there. Overall, I say this hotel is a 9 out of 10. Did I mention that it has the best lobby in Guam?

Room Tip: Higher floor that face south have the best views of the sun sets
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank jocampo
Reviewed April 14, 2012

1) We booked a triple room. The hotel states that these rooms are on the '3rd' & '4th' floor. But, strangely, on the Tumon Bay side, the 3rd floor is actually the ground floor - the room's door is on an outside path that is next to the hotel's driveway and a path is right next to the 3rd floor 'balconies', so privacy is an issue. The hotel tries to get away with this by classing the ground floor as the 3rd floor by having 2 more lower levels accessible from the lobby, going down to the beach. Maybe classing those 2 lower levels as basement levels would be a more transparent way of doing things so that guests who book a room on the 3rd/4th floor have a clearer idea of what they will be getting.

2) The room wasn't prepared for us correctly - we booked a triple room, but the room had 4 semi-double beds in it. We didn't need or want an extra bed. It took up a major amount of space. After an hour or so of complaining, they agreed to move us to a room on the 4th floor with 3 beds. So, credit to the hotel for eventually resolving the problem.

3) Sometimes the staff put free water in your room, sometimes not. The hotel said that they only provide it on the arrival day. However, on random days it appeared in our room - which was great!

4) When we checked in a staff member at the front desk swiped our credit card for $1128. The hotel always swipes guests' cards for $100 when you arrive in case you break something etc. However, we had already paid for the room so it was unnecessary to swipe the card for the charge of the room plus the $100. It highlighted a lack of competence on the part of the hotel staff and gave us something to worry about at check in. The staff were not so apologetic. They just said,

'Don't worry. It is only a swipe. We won't take the money.'

So we said, 'What's the point of swiping it then, if you will not take the money?'

The front desk staff wouldn't cancel the swipe, and never apologized, so we had to phone a member of the managerial staff who was Japanese. It took a long time before we could get through to her on the hotel switchboard. However, finally,
she agreed to cancel the swipe. The lady that had made the mistake at the front desk was a training member of staff. Shame on the staff who should have been training her - clearly the person who should have been watching her wasn't doing a very good job.

5) The housekeeping staff are very nice. The lady who cleaned our room on most days was very friendly and cheerful. Housekeeping can come quite late in the afternoon, but this wasn't a problem for us.

6) The location of the hotel is not great. The hotel has its own 'private beach'. But there are lots of rocks in the water and the water is not so blue or clear. There is not easy access to Tumon Bay where the good beaches are.

7) The hotel provides a free yoga session for guests on weekday mornings at 06:30am. The session is done on the '2nd' floor overlooking the sea. It's a great service and the teacher is very nice.

8) Magellen Restaurant's Sunday brunch was great. It's on the hotel's 'first' floor. It was $25 and included as much beer and champagne as you want. The Chinese restaurant on the hotel's top floor does a fairly good buffet lunch too and the views from the restaurant are stunning.

9) One great thing about Hotel Nikko is the security. You can often see security men patroling the grounds which made us feel quite comfortable staying there, and also parking the car rental there too.

10) The pool's slide is pretty good - quite fast and twisty!

11) One member of staff at the front desk was particularly helpful, articulate and informative. Her name was Mildred. The hotel should give her a promotion and more money.

Overall, the hotel is very big, but it seems like sometimes the hotel is too big for the staff to handle. The rooms are not great - just ok. If you are looking for a hotel from which you will have easy access to a GOOD beach, then this is not the hotel for you. And if you are Japanese, and you want to feel like you are in a foreign country, then this hotel is not for you either! Most guests are Japanese. I wouldn't stay here again.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room on a high floor (NOT THE THIRD FLOOR!) and a room on the Tumon Bay side.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank Mr.Ashwell
Reviewed April 10, 2012

Best diving and quiet . I have been here 5 times. It is the best on Guam. No better beach even better than Hawaii. Needs more beach activities.pool and beach staff great.

• Stayed: March 2012