“Better than the Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott & Fiesta---Best (&free) Activities”

Sheraton Laguna Guam Resort
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Tamuning
Agana, Mariana Islands
“Better than the Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott & Fiesta---Best (&free) Activities”
Reviewed December 31, 2009

I am here with other employees and between us we have checked out the Fiesta (problem with toilets), the Marriott (a dump), Hilton (run down) and the Hyatt (smells)---the Sheraton wins. I read the recent negative reviews and I am not surprised. I have been staying at the Sheraton for three weeks and I can tell you the rooms are sort of clean and that I wash a glass before I use it and I invested in a can of Lysol! If you want pristine rooms and outstanding service, Guam is not for you. Lower your standards. The staff at the Sherton is extremely friendly and they try. The rooms are very modern and recently renovated. There are parties all day/night every weekend. Don't expect to take a nap or go to bed early on the weekend! The music is turned up until it is distorted and sometimes competing music comes from different directions--very lovely. Breakfast was included in our room and the buffet is okay but not worth what they charge. The activities are much better than the other hotels. FREE fishing and surfing lessons! We've signed up for several sessions---and we had the instructor to ourselves everytime. These guys were great! highly recommend trying both! The Sheraton loves air conditioning! I put my sweats on to go to the club lounge! Business center is a refrigerator. It wasn't just me---there was a teenage boy with a hoody on shivering!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank tamacita

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Taipei, Taiwan
Reviewed December 7, 2009

Beautiful infinity pool that you can look out to the ocean and suffers. I believe every rooms are ocean view type. Bed is cozy, deco is little bit old but clean.

Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
Beverly Hills, California
Reviewed September 23, 2009

My wife and I travel worldwide like many of the reviewers here on Trip Advisor. We were excited to stay at the Sheraton Laguna Guam and booked a one bedroom suite.
Upon arrival, the front desk agent never said "Wecome to the Sheraton" or even hello. She just asked for our name and grabbed my credit card. Here's your keys .The Guest Service Representative in the lobby walked by us and didn't bother to even look up from the floor. Is this guest service? Wait a minute. Am I in the right hotel? Sheraton isn't it? I'm tired, lets head for the room.

Upon arrival to our suite, we found a man in the room talking on his cell phone as he stocked the mini bar with the usual overpriced goodies. No hello, No sorry I'm in your way - nothing! OK, so be it, maybe he was having a bad hair day like the Guest Service and Front Desk Agent.

The good news is the room was super! Well appointed, wonderful oceanview, quality amenities, spacious, romantic lighting, private balcony, large soaking tub and wonderful sixteen person shower! Ahhh, the beds like floating clouds, the flat screen TV's large and the internet connection outstanding. Now I feel like I'm in a Sheraton!

The feeling didn't last long however. As we toured the property we noticed that NONE of the staff ever said ... hello, goodmorning, may I help you, are you having a nice stay. Nothing, nada, zero! Not even the pool bartender smiled, never asked if we wanted a drink or said hello. Wow, sales must be fantastic to be so blind to the experience of the guest. Wait a another minute. The hotel was nearly empty. Maybe bartenders don't get tips there? I know this one won't for sure. The pool was a wonderful retreat despite the lack of having a cold one by the poolside. Maybe there's a store closeby where we can get a beer nextime? Yes, there is and we spent our money there, not at the Sheraton bars!

Our biggest disappointment other than the total lack of any guest service was the poor condition of the resorts grounds. Maybe it's a budget thing or simply nobody cares, but can you imagine a Sheraton with a dirty pool, broken light fixtures, exposed wiring, trees that are dying, lawns untrimed, weeds growing, pathyway lights burnt out, and outdoor tables and chairs that probably haven't been cleaned since the hotel opened! We were not impressed at all. Another fact of interest ... Houskeeping didn't show up until 4:40pm to clean our room. How come? WE had to ask for clean coffee cups and glasses of which the housekeeper excused herself to run downstairs to get them. Nevermind, clean the room tomorrow we told her and have a nice evening!

Overall we would say that the staff at the Sheraton gets a big fat "F" in customer service. The staff needs training in basic home education and proper guest service skills. The room gets an "A+" for being comfy and clean and the property grounds department gets another big fat "F" for sleeping on the job. Buy some gas for the weedeaters guys and get busy!

It is with mixed emotions that we recommend the Sheraton as nice place to stay mainly because of the super rooms and price value point.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank HospitalityPros
Hong Kong
Reviewed July 17, 2009

Stayed there for 3 nights and with an awesome ocen view room facing the water.. Although it was on a different bay from the main shopping/dining strip, it was easy access to downtown Tumon. The pool closed @ 9pm but the gym was 24 hours so there's always a way to get active. Service was great also, with shuttle bus from Galleria back to the hotel, you can be sure that you can get your load of shopping back to the hotel at the end of the day!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed June 11, 2009

My wife and I have previously stayed at the Hyatt Regency, Marriott, and Nikko Hotels in Guam, and the Sheraton Laguna Guam beats them all. (Granted, we stayed at the Hyatt and Marriott in 2003, so those hotels may have changed. But the Hyatt was a huge disappointment, as our room was filthy, with bugs and lizards, and the food was poor to average.) The Sheraton has been completely renovated in 2007, so everything is still quite new. The rooms are very nicely appointed and very comfortable. Because we stayed in a suite, we were given access to the Laguna Club Lounge on the top floor, where we had free breakfast every day and dinner a couple of times. The lounge is extremely nice -- very uncrowded and quiet. My wife received a massage in the spa and was very pleased. The Inifinity pool is great, with great views of the ocean. The pool was also very uncrowded and we never had to fight for a deck chair. We also had dinner at the President (the hotel's Japanese restaurant), and the food was excellent. The lobby lounge is also great.

The only drawbacks are: no beach, and the setting is not quite as scenic or pretty as the Nikko Hotel (which has lush gardens, is on the beach, and is next to a mountain). Although there is no beach, there is a trail down to the ocean, which you can enter if you don't mind walking on rocks. (If you have reef shoes it should be no problem, so it is possible to swim in the ocean.)

One other item that prospective customers might want to be aware of: the staff overall is not very experienced, as approximately half of them seem to be trainees sent from Korea. Everywhere we went we ran into trainees. I guess Sheraton Korea sends all their trainees to Guam? My wife and I didn't mind, as they were still friendly, but if you want polished, experienced people serving you, you might be disappointed.

Overall we were extremely pleased with our visit and are planning to return.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank Unimatrix One
Japan
Reviewed April 14, 2009

On arrival:
When I arrived at the hotel a few hours later than what we've originally told to the hotel, my room as well as my colleagues' were not ready and we were told to wait outside... We waited for maybe approx. 5-10 min. It's OK. It cannot be helped, maybe there were so many guests on that day so just a few-minute wait was tolerable. That's what I thought at the beginning without knowing what would happen to me a few minutes later.

Entering the room:
But when I entered into my room, it was still very dirty ! A trash box was full of a previous person's bottle of water, some paper, etc and there was a lighter and cigarret left near the bed.... Again, I tried to calm down, because the maid might have swept the room very quickly under the pressuer that customers were waiting just outside...
So I decided to call the front desk to have someone sweep the room again.. A person who answered the phone was polite.

Arrival of the maid:
So I waited for a cleaning lady to come. She did come but to my utter surprise, the first word she pronounced when she entered into the room was " The room is clean! " Yes, the first word that was out of her mouth was "Clean !" This triggered my anger . Without carefully looking at the room, she did say Clean as if it was my fault that she was called into the room.... She should have looked at the room more carefully first and said just one word "Sorry !". Anyway, I explained the situation and let her clean the room.. still there was no word of sorry and she left the room cheerfully & merrily saying "have a nice day". "The room is clean" was her first word and "Have a nice day " was her last word.. How could I have a nice day after having this kind of disgusting experience ?
I then went to the bathroom. Oh my god, there was dirty guest towel hang, which seemingly was used by a maid to clean the buth tub.... I could not believe this. Is this Sheraton ?? Ok, this is Guam, a resort island, everybody is optimistic and doesn't care about too much just like me (Japanese)... ... so I decided not to expect much in Guam... At the end of the day, it was enither my honeymoon nor lovely trip but it was a business trip anyway.. I didn't need to expect too much as long as I could eat and sleep..

That's not the end of the story !
At night when I was about to use one of amenity goods and opened it,,, oh, can you believe this ? It was empty ! It was just an empty paper box instead of cotton or something...

Departure:
Anyway, I have two-overnight stay there and before departure I submitted the Customer Review Sheet....I described in detail about my experience...with my contact address (email) included of course...
Unfortunately, no apology at all from the hotel...

Conclusion:
There are many other hotels in Guam. Then why do you need to spend the disgusting time in Sheraton after coming all the way maybe from the opposite side of the earth to Guam ?

Before I go, for the reputation of the hotel, let me write only one good thing about the hotel. The ocean views, trees and pools there were great. Indeed I took may pictures. But you know Guam is Guam. I think you can find similar fantastic views anywhere !

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
7 Thank ATJCJapan

Travelers are raving about these Tamuning hotels

Virginia
Reviewed February 4, 2009

This was by far the best hotel I have been in Guam. I am a H member and Marrioot Rewards Plat. However I tried Sheraton Laguna Guam and found it peacful, relaxing and staff very hospitable. They have the best service and top it all, check out the Ansgna Spa, just thinking about the massage , I think I need to go back there again. They gave me a free upgrade even though I am a Gold member and they were very busy. did not see the scorpion queen but met quite a few lovely young ladies who were more than accomodating to my requests.

• Liked — the room and spa
  • Disliked — no beach
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tamuning
Hilton Guam Resort & Spa
Hotel Nikko Guam
Hotel Nikko Guam
#4 of 20 in Tumon
Dusit Thani Guam Resort

Been to Sheraton Laguna Guam Resort? Share your experiences!