“Is this really a 5-star hotel?”

Sheraton Laguna Guam Resort
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Tamuning
Reviewed April 3, 2012

Stayed at Sheraton Guam for 4 nights for a friend's wedding. Overall the hotel was not as good as expected. Inside the room it felt like a 3 star hotel with dirty bathtub and carpet; slightly better outside the room with some 4-star facilities. The best part I would say was the church for the wedding ceremony - really beautifully designed. If you consider a destination wedding in Guam, I would recommend hosting the ceremony at this church but probably not staying at this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank exploreryacht

Reviewed April 1, 2012

Overall a pleasant stay.

We stayed the second week of March, 2012, in a King Club room. My comments regarding the room are limited to a club room. The Sheraton Executive Club is located on the 10th floor. Club floors appear to be floors 8, 9, and 10. The hotel is configured in the shape of a Y. It is designed so that all the rooms have some sort of ocean/bay views, since it is built upon a promontory. The main shaft of the Y is hollow, with the hallways of this main section open to the interior, with all the rooms having ocean/bay views. Viewing the hotel from the ocean, the left arm of the Y has rooms which overlook the water features, the infinity pool, and ocean. These rooms have, by far, the best views. Room numbers ending in 61 to 70 are in this wing. For example, room number 964, 965, 966 would be in the middle of that wing on the 9th floor, and would have the best views.
It should be noted that the hotel has a show that takes place at the bottom of the main section of the hotel. Since the main shaft of the hotel is hollow, the noise is very loud. The show does not go late, but I would suspect that people with small children, with early bed times, might experience a problem
We stayed on the 9th floor, in a king bedded room. We booked it on the Sheraton web site. When I called the hotel directly, I was told that king rooms were limited and a king bed could not be guarantied. Their web site makes no such statements. When making the reservation, I made sure that my preference for a king bed was highlighted.
I called the hotel directly in hope that I could obtain a half day rate, since we were arriving at approximately 1:30 am, on a Saturday. I was told in no uncertain terms that check in was at 3pm and, if we wanted a room available when we arrived, we would have to pay the full rate for Friday night. Which, of course, we were forced to do.
I did book, in advance by email, the hotel shuttle for the airport transfer. The cost is $15.00 per person. A taxi would be about $20.00. For 2 persons, we chose the hotel shuttle, since we were arriving in the very early morning and did not want to wait in a taxi line. After 28 hours of traveling, it was money well spent.
The room itself was well appointed and good size. In our room, the placement of the furniture was a bit odd. There was the dresser/TV stand and small desk with a round upholstered seat as the desk chair. The only other seating was a large heavy lounge chair with a heavy wooden table overhanging the lounge chair. This lounge/table combination was between the bed and the bathroom wall making getting in or out of the bed on that side difficult.
The bathroom is small, clean, but interesting. Interesting because the walls between it and the bed area and hallway area are all glass. The bathroom door is also glass. Fortunately, there are blinds which can be lowered to provide some privacy. Clearly the use of the glass walls was a successful attempt to make what would have been a very small bathroom a little larger.
It should be noted that, like the whole of Guams tourist industry is directed to the Asia market. The location of the hotel is away from the main tourist area and duty free stores. Therefore, the area is quiet and there is no beach access.

Room Tip: Rooms with infinity pool view have the best view.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 24, 2012

I think this hotel is the most modern hotel in Guam. It means the room was very nice. But there is no beach in front of hotel. I think that's why people give 4 points a lot.

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed March 12, 2012

The building is quite spectacular, rooms are attractive and the location is great, but all things considered, this is nothing more than a 3 star hotel. It is an utter failure so far as guest service is concerned.

The hotel has significant staff problems - either not enough staff, or staff that are not the least bit motivated to "get the job done" for the guests.

Housekeeping standards are poor (dirty coffee cups, etc.), no-one answered the "Guest Request" phone line during the one hour in which I tried continuously to order room service, and the air conditioning system in the rooms sounds like a Boeing 747 at maximum take-off power. My room service order was promised in 30 minutes (fine by me), but took over an hour to appear.

There are a lot of hotels in this town - I suggest you go find another one, because this one is disappointing.

Room Tip: Book a room at another hotel.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank solotravellerCanada
Amesva001, Director of Sales at Sheraton Laguna Guam Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2012

Dear SolotravellerCanada,
Thank you for your valuable time to share your feedback of your recent stay with us. We appreciate it. They will be addressed immediately. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to us soon with a much enjoyable experience. Thank you. Sheraton Laguna Guam Family

Reviewed February 27, 2012

The room was a bit shabby and every night they had a loud performance on the bottom floor that penetrated the room - and was LOUD! We were on the 7th floor and it almost seemed to get louder the further away you got. We absolutely could not buffer the noise for one entire hour. It was like a really bad drum circle, except they were playing in your room.

Making it even worse, it was not a local Micronesian-style performance, it was a Polynesian-based dance and drum show.

HORRIBLE.

Room Tip: Apparently, there is a wing on the one side, that supposedly shields you a bit from the nightly eard...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank JP_CNMI
Reviewed February 23, 2012

We stayed here when we moved to Guam.

We chose this hotel because they are dog friendly, for dogs under 15lbs and only one dog per suite allowed, so I had to get 2 Laguna Suites to allow both of my dogs to be on our reservation.

The service was good and the Club floor has endless drinks and snacks available all the time.

Decent location and a great view.

We would definitley stay here again on our way out of Guam.

Room Tip: Choose an ocean view on the highest floor you can afford.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed February 22, 2012

I have stayed at the Sheraton in Guam several times in the last few years. I love the property location because it is away from the downtown rat race and the view from the hotel is awesome but the hotel is definitely lacking in cleanliness and customer service. The room service often does not come around to clean until after 4:00pm and at times as late as 6:00pm. The hotel has a buffet BBQ in the open air corridor every night followed by native dancers and drums for about two hours of head banging. The furniture and equipment in the exercise room is disgusting, I don't think it has ever been cleaned. The free weights are covered with black grease that permanently stained my gym clothes. On a better note I would have to say the one thing that keeps me coming back is the buffet breakfast, it is consistently good and the staff in the restaurant and cook is always friendly and cheerful.

Room Tip: Any room facing the ocean, the higher the better to avoid the loud drums that bang for two hours eve...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank brooksbj510
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tamuning
Hilton Guam Resort & Spa
Hotel Nikko Guam
Hotel Nikko Guam
#4 of 21 in Tumon
Dusit Thani Guam Resort

Been to Sheraton Laguna Guam Resort? Share your experiences!