“ABYSMAL”

Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Tamuning
Honolulu, Hawaii
“ABYSMAL”
Reviewed March 21, 2012

Run down. Poor location. First room I was checked into had a terrible odor, most likely a strong cleaning solution, I could not tolerate it from the moment I walked into the room. I asked for another room and was given one on the 2nd floor. Dirty floors, smeared in places, looked like crushed roaches... yes and there were roaches, plenty of them. I slept with lights on thinking they wouldn't venture out as bad. Bathroom sink had fixtures that were badly rusted, a tickle of hot water. Shower had no water pressure and hot water went in and out from cold to hot, hot to cold, back and forth. Two bath towels, two washcloths, one badly frayed and once may have been white and no hand towels. Bed was the hardest bed I have ever had the displeasure of sleeping on. I put the a/c on very cold and high but it did little to cool the room. As soon as it was daylight, I contacted another hotel in the area and was given reservation and I checked out. I've stayed in many Ramada properties in the past. It is a shame the Ramada brand is attached to this one. For the price, it still is terrible!

Room Tip: Good luck. I was 0 for 2.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank HonoluluCharlie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed February 17, 2012

Room was clean and kept fairly well stocked. Staff was capable and very friendly and acccomodating, especially the back staff. The air conditioning was a little tricky, as if left on really cool the unit would ice up when ever the cleaning staff would prop the door open to clean the room. It would take a while to deice and drip. So leave the room a/c unit in dry air mode when gone for day (orange water drop on control panel) then it cools down quick once you get back, I had an inner room which did have a window, it however faced a small opening in which little direct sunlight fell and there was only the view of the other a/c condensor units. That is to say unless you didn't mind looking directly into the room across and visa versa. This was not much of an issue for me as I was there for work so when I came home I ate, then went to sleep. The room was equipped with a refrigerator, in a cabinet which got way to hot under a sink. The room also had a microwave and free internet, which I had little problem with but coworkers complained about. The real drawback was mold, between the a/c icing up and the humid climate nothing dried, thus mold grew without resistance. I think by closing the hallway windows this would cut down on a lot of the moisture issues, but I was also not acclimated to the warm humid climate and used the a/c without hesitation. Another minor drawback was the laundry facility. This room was at that time equipped with 2 washers (1$ us) and two dryers, only one of which worked halfway and was normally in use by the cleaning staff using it for bed linens. The Vietnamese restaurant next door "Bamboo" was clean inexpensive fresh and very friendly!

Room Tip: Choose a room that is on the outer ring of the hotel for a "view".
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Dennis W
Subic, Philippines
Reviewed February 1, 2012

I was given a top floor room (3rd floor i think), the air conditioning is in a terrible place, it faces directly into the bathroom and is not efficient at cooling the rooms. I complained and they moved me to the next floor down (2nd floor i think). This was better but only because the room didn't have the sun blasting on the roof all day like the room on above floor. Very bad design of room and AC positioning. The hotel itself is actually ok, breakfast not bad, good car parking, public bar is ok for a beer. Location is not central to Tumon but ok if you are heading south of the airport and Tumon. The "room & car" deals are quite good

Room Tip: Avoid top floor rooms in hot weather as the rooms are too hot due to poor design of Air Con position...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Katherine, Australia
Reviewed January 1, 2012

I stayed at the Ramada during both 10hr stopovers from and to Australia. The hotel offers free airport transfers. Although on arrival the hotel, it isn’t the most appealing, it is certainly satisfies every requirement for a comfortable layover.

The room was quite large: on entry is a 2 seater black lounge with coffee table, facing a corner dining table (great for gear bags). A small hallway with a kitchenette (microwave, sink, tea/coffee & bar fridge) on one side and bathroom entry on the other side, leads into the bedroom. This area has a comfortable QS bed, bedside tables & wardrobe. The linen was crisp & comfortable, with 4 pillows. A split system air conditioner worked well to cool the room. The window curtain blocks out the daylight to ensure you get a good sleep. The window was unable to be opened. The only accessible power point (US style) was near the kitchenette, which was a fine location to set up the power board. A wall mounted flat screen TV with remote control provided access to many channels, including movies. I had full mobile phone reception & free wifi is provided, however the reception was low throughout the building. The bathroom was compact yet comfortable: the shower had good temperature water & pressure. Supplied toiletries include shampoo, conditioner and moisturising cream. A bath mat, face washers & tiny bath towels were provided. No guide was provided, so I am unsure of laundry service. No room service is available. I am not sure if the tap water is drinkable (there was no signage), nevertheless, I used bottled water.

Reception and hallways are not air conditioned. On the ground floor, adjacent to reception is a small store offering toiletries & drinks/nibbles. There is a restaurant at either end of the lobby: a steakhouse (which wasn’t open the two occasions I stayed) & a Chinese & curry restaurant, where I dined for lunch on both stays. I didn’t check out the swimming pool. I enjoyed both of my stopover stays at the Ramada – however I am not sure I would want to stay here for a longer duration. Although airport transfers are offered, my airport pick up on my second transit was not at the airport. So take a taxi there & utilise the airport transfer back to the airport.

Room Tip: Although airport transfers are offered, my airport pick up on my second transit was not at the airpo...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed June 24, 2011

After flying out of Fiji and landing in Guam in the early afternoon for my 15 hour layover before my flight to Tokyo the next morning, I decided to book a room at the Ramada Tamuning for $60 USD.

Shuttle tip: do not contact the Ramada worldwide website and ask if this hotel provides a shuttle, they told me they did not. I decided to contact the hotel directly (by email) and was informed that they did offer a free shuttle service. I provided my flight number and arrival time and the shuttle was waiting for me when I arrived.

Check-in was quick and I was given an access code for the wifi and informed that the hotel operated a free shuttle to the shopping/beach/tourist area 5 minutes away. They held the shuttle van for me as I got my bags into my room and then went back downstairs and took the shuttle van to the beach.

After a couple of hours on the beach and dinner I walked across the street to the free shuttle pick up location beside a large department store and got back to my hotel in the early evening.

I got back to my room which I found to be quite comfortable, with a nice tv, a good sized bathroom, and a sitting area with a leather couch and table with chairs for breakfast in the morning. I had been staying in budget accommodations during the previous few months of travel, so I found the room to be good value for money, and comfortable and spacious. I can't speak to the issue of whether or not this would be an ideal spot for a vacation, but for the layover stay it was just great.

The only other thing I will mention is that the shuttle driver that picked me up from the airport, and the driver that drove the free shuttle into the tourist/beach area could not have been more personable or nicer. When you travel for an extended period of time to places that often don't speak much of your language, its always kind of nice when you can have a conversation with someone and share some of your travel experiences. So my experience in terms of customer service and staff friendliness was a very positive one. In the end I kind of wished I'd had another 24 hours on my layover to spend a bit more time in Guam.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
California City, California
Reviewed April 25, 2011

The seervice that I got g=from the hotel staff is very unprofessional. I had to wait about 30 minutes to be checked in. As I was checking in not sure who she is was yelling at the staff and saying if they can do their job then she find someone else to do it for them. Shuch a very poor management.

Once I was done checking in headed up to my room and realize the room smells like mold and saw roaches running around. Call the front desk to see if they can do something about the roaches the response that I got from the front desk agent who identify herself is Magan. She said that she send housekeeping up to take care of the problem. waited for more than an hour before housekeeping came to try and fix the problem.

I finally realize that the person who was yelling is the General Manager for the hotel. She is very unprofessional. Hate to say this but she needs to keep all problems within the company. We as guest do not h=need to hear what is going on.

I will not return to this hotel again.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank 2hot2handle

Travelers are raving about these Tamuning hotels

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed March 5, 2011

Open the windows and you will view only city blocks. Had to wait an hour before confirmed reserved room was ready. Room cleaning is performed at night as late as 9:00pm.
The extra pillows and cushion pads seem never been washed. Stick with the linen covered sheet and pillow. Food in the restaurant downstairs serve multiple breakfast menus but all seemed to lack quality.

Best thing was the free high speed internet:

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Luis D
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tamuning
Hilton Guam Resort & Spa
Oceanview Hotel & Residences
Verona Resort & Spa
Verona Resort & Spa
#17 of 20 in Tumon

Been to Wyndham Garden Guam? Share your experiences!