“Great place for the money!!!”

Tamuning Plaza Hotel
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Tamuning
San Diego, CA.
“Great place for the money!!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2008

I have traveled to Guam several time in the last few months. Each time I visit, I make it a point to stay at the Tamuning Plaza Hotel. It is simply a "NO FRILLS" hotel service. I agree with another review I read here. I would rather spend my money away from the hotel rather than a place to sleep. I just can't imagine paying top dollar for a place that I'm only going to be at during the night. Sure, the hotel needs renovation and some upgrades. I spent about 4 weeks the first trip this year and 3 weeks the second trip. Each time I never had issues with the high speed internet service for my laptop. No noise. Very quiet. Airconditioned and daily maid service. What more could I ask for. I wouldn't recommend it for honeymooners or for those wanting high end resort amenities. But for those looking for a place to rest comfortably at night and reliable high speed internet, Tamuning Plaza Hotel would be my choice. I look forward staying there on my next trip.

• Liked — Close to everything. Great price and wireless internet connection. Quiet.
  • Disliked — Needs renovation and reopen the restaurant.
14 Thank bcguam

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
usa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2008

This is definitely an economy hotel, but much better than I was expecting after reading some scathing reviews. The rooms are clean and sanitary and didn't have any problems. It isn't anything brilliant, just your regular bed, TV, refrigerator, phone, etc. Oh, but they do have free wirless internet which was quite speedy. This was a great plus to keep up with work! They also have a computer in the lobby which you have to pay for?! I guess if you don't bring your laptop...

I had some problems configuring my laptop, but the staff were helpful in helping me connect. Didn't have any other problems with it. There was some slow times, but most of the time connection was great. Also was able to have some documents printed out on their printer.

Rented one of their cars which also wasn't anything special, but definitely saved me in taxi cost and was very convenient getting me where I needed to get to.

Most of all, I enjoyed the staff at Tamuning Plaza! They were very friendly and helpful. I am very happy I found them and will make my next trip to Guam easier to plan.

• Liked — Free wireless internet and the staff
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
13 Thank tnglobetrotter
New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2008

Of all my years of travels (15 years and counting), this is by far the worst experience/hotel ever! And I say this with 100% confidence.

The worst reviews on this hotel on this site are ALL accurate. All good reviews were obviously made up by the hotel management.

This is what I endured:

1)I was staying in Guam for 3 short days, so I said to myself, why not take the risk. Can't be THAT bad.

2)At the airport, as I awaited the hotel "shuttle", I started to wonder if I made a mistake.

3)Then the "shuttle" came. I knew then that things are not looking good. This was a piece of 25 year old crap of a taxi for hire. EVERYTHING was falling apart. I won't comment on the driver, because, hey, everyone has problems. This taxi reminded me of the Chevy Chase on vacation movies where they check into a hotel and can't check out. I am serious. All the people were looking at me with pity in their eyes as I boarded the heap. Even now, I am taking this as "hey, this is guam" attitude.

3)I got in, and saw the "10minute change your mind" thing on the computer (which one of the reviewers warned about), which I first thought was cute.

4)Was given keys to my room.

5)When I walked in to the room, it was really was a room from hell. All the basics, like moldy bathrooms and musty carpet, etc. are all there. Then, I notice this HUGE (20inch in diameter) HOLE. THat's right, a HOLE right on top the bed. I cringed at the thought of what might be crawling there. The rusty watermarks trailed out of that hole.

6) Now, I forgot to mention that due to my crazy flight, I arrived at the hotel at 5am. So way too late to change hotel or anything. So, I decided to at least take a shower. So off I went.

7)There are these cubicles in the bath where the towels are kept. Just for the heck of it, i fingered the cubicle. Sure enough my fingers were smeared with black dust. Care to guess if I took a shower or not? BTW, everything said on other reviews about the disgusting nature of the bath is absolutely accurate.

8)So guess what I did until the sun came up? I started going through the phone book to call all the hotels nearby. Thank god at least the local calls were free. And finally got an excellent deal at another hotel which I won't mention here, but you can find out by searching for my glowing review of THAT hotel. So this took about an hour.

9) and I couldn't stand to stay there anymore, so I just went down to the reception (oh, yeah, this is something other reviewers failed to mention--there is NO elevator in this god forsaken place! I was given 3rd floor, and I had to lug off my crap all the way up at 5am--they didn't bother to even offer me help--and lug my crap all the way down an hour later! can you say "that's crazy"?

10)I had the new hotel arrange for a car to their place, and it was waiting for me.

11)I had to pay, of course, for entire 1 night say for this 1hour hell. Then off I went.

Mind you, I am an adventurous traveller. I stay in many budget as well as five star hotels. And I don't compare apples to oranges. I am comparing this hotel to other budget hotels in this price range.

This is a NOT a case of "you get what you pay for". This is "you wouldn't want to stay here even if they PAID you" situation.

Aside from the lack of offer of help with the luggage in a hotel without elevator, the frontdesk staff was courteous. I didn't give him hell, or made even one single complaint (and not so curiously, he didn't ask why I am checking out after 1 hour on a 3day reservation). So nothing really against the staff, but this is against the management of the place which must be bottom feeder in Guam.

I rate this as a sewer of a hotel. Rap (ignorant tourist) Trap.

Never, ever go there!

p.s. I am regretting big time that I didn't take photo of that big freaking hole on the ceiling.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
13 Thank AsiaTraveller2004

Travelers are raving about these Tamuning hotels

New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2008

Planned to stay 2 nights after reading reviews. Flight arrived early morning into Guam, I checked in and was told by staff that I would not be charged for 3 nights (for night before) as it was early morning checkin and was glad that they could be flexible. So I mistakenly paid for 2 nights upfront, but upon printing out receipt it showed paid for 2 nights, but starting from night before! I asked staff to adjust checkout date for 2 nights starting from today as agreed, but he said he could not and I had to wait for manager to come to the office at 10am! Then he promised that if I stayed in the room until manager arrived in the morning, the date would be adjusted and everything taken care of. So I took his word and entered the dirtiest room ever with cockroaches crawling around the room, bedsheets, carpets never been cleaned washed, AC not working, room smelled like cigarettes, windows screwed shut, all furniture broken apart, etc.,etc. Called the staff and asked for refund, but he said he could not do anything until manager arrived in morning! So I became a pest exterminator mashing roaches in the bathroom just to take a desperately needed shower after long flight and no other hotel to stay as they were all fully booked and no transport at an ungodly hour. So waited in room until morning unable to sleep on disgusting bed and met the most unfriendly arrogant old japanese owner who yelled there would be no refund with the nerve to ask why I did not wait for him in the lobby which was where some working girls sat around. So I checked out not bothering to argue with a conman having been misled, cheated, tired and never to stay in that dirthole again and hope you don't as well!!

• Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
9 Thank Travel1NY
World Wide
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2007

This is not the place to go if you want to be pampered but if you want a clean conferrable room with restaurants and recreation close by this is your place. I would rather spend my money having fun then spending on a place to sleep. The staff was friendly and went out of their way to provide services. I felt relaxed, safe, and welcomed at Tamuning Plaza Hotel

• Liked — economical
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed March 2004, traveled solo
12 Thank RadarRon
Okemos, MI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2007

I was on Guam for 8 days. I read reviews both bad and good on this place. I rented the bigger room with the little kitchen. For staying 7 days or more I got a deal of $65 per night, taxes included. This is a budget motel and it was nicer than I expected. If you have a rental car (which I did) this a great hotel, if not you will be doing a lot of walking. You want a car anyway to see the nicer parts of the island.

• Liked — The big room
  • Disliked — Just had stairs to rooms.
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled solo
19 Thank Traveldude999
Sunny SoCal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2007

I spent Christmas/New Year's 2006/2007 at Tamuning Hotel. I found the hotel through Google, and contacted the hotel via emails, which were straightforward, friendly and helpful. I visited Trip Advisor for reviews, and read two totally differing viewpoints, so I wasn't sure what to make of the place. But with the good communication with the hotel via email, I thought the place couldn't be that bad; however, I made a reservation for only 2 days to be safe, and if I didn't like it, I would change hotels. I stayed at Tamuning Hotel for my entire 2 week trip in Guam. Let me clear up the two differing opinions; Tamuning Hotel is more of a motel than a hotel in the Hilton or Hyatt sense. It looks like a 3-story rectangle concrete hurricane shelter, and there's no elevator. There's a Blockbuster Video in the front of the building, and the beautiful beach is across the busy street.. If you can get over the plain look of the place, you'll love the 2nd floor rooms (3rd floor rooms are single rooms). My room was huge, almost shockingly huge for a hotel/motel, it was cleaned everyday by a nice housekeeper who spoke no English but smiled a lot, and the rate I paid for a 2 week stay in such a large room was an AWESOME!! value. My room came with two full-size beds, a lounge area with sofa set/coffee table and cable TV, a desk/study section, a kitchenette, and large bathroom with tub/shower. I couldn't be happier with the deal, with what I got in return for my hard-earned money. The staff was friendly, the other guests were equally as interesting and varied, and I was even able to rent a car directly from the hotel. So, if you are looking for Hilton/Hyatt hotel type of accomodations, then you will be sorely disappointed like our British reviewer, but if you are a budget traveler looking for the most value for the money, you'll be pleased like the Japanese reviewer, and like this well-tanned Californian.

Stayed January 2007
14 Thank cali_rules
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tamuning
Wyndham Garden Guam
Guam Plaza Hotel
Guam Plaza Hotel
#3 of 11 in Tamuning
Guam Reef & Olive Spa Resort

Been to Tamuning Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!